Launch Member

Member I

Lakewood, CA, USA
First Name
Mitchell
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Has anyone here ever done the Laurel Lake trail in the Inyo National Forest? I have looked up some reviews online and it looks amazing! My question is, can it be completed with a 2WD silverado with 33" nitto g2s? Online it is labeled as easy but I thought it would be a good idea to ask you peeps here

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
There are a few tight turns on the trail, especially the final turn down to the lake. A 4runner blew the turn and rolled all the way down the hill to the lake. You might be able to make it in a 2wd, possibly not. Also be aware that the trail can hold snow for awhile, especially in a heavy snow year, like this year.

You're right, it is beautiful though...

v_man

Rank IV

Advocate I

Redwood City
Well, ya if snow is significantly blocking the trail, you won't make it to the lake, if you're 2wd vehicle can't handle the trail, you won't make it to the lake.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
It should also be pointed out that the individual driving the 4Runner that mis-judged the turn did not survive.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

We ran this trail last summer. It was crowded so it detracted from the ambiance.

Lots of talus rocks and stuff - can be pretty easy to slide and is quite rough. I imagine it will be worse after the winter we had (and there might still be some snow). I wouldn't do it in 2wd. Not worth the risk especially when there are so many other trails in that same area.