First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
Hey everyone,

I'm in the early planning stages for my annual extended trip into the Rockies this summer. In previous years, I have done well washing clothes with my washbag and a clothesline. However, last year was pretty overcast and rainy when I went, meaning my clothes usually just didn't get enough sun to dry. This resulted in a few trips into town just to visit a laundromat (which I'd prefer to avoid).

Does anyone have any tips or gear for getting around this issue? I've read about drying clothes in a sleeping bag or by wrapping them in towels, but that seems to me like it would just result in a wet sleeping bag or a bunch of damp towels. Wet towels are better than wet clothes I suppose, but still leaves me having something that needs to be dried out. And a wet sleeping bag is a no-go. It still gets pretty cold above 10,000 feet in the summer.

I was thinking of maybe rigging a tarp over the clothesline to help with rain, but that also cuts down on the sunlight when the clouds disappear.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reactions: FishinCrzy

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I've been wondering about that also. I hadn't thought too much about the drying aspect though. I do have some micro fleece clothing that I really like for outdoors wear and it dries fast. Maybe layers of easy drying clothes instead of heavy cottons, etc. Wool keeps one warm when wet/damp somewhat. Just wring it out and keep on going. If I'm mostly out in the woods I don't worry about a little dirt on my pants. As long as I don't stink so bad I keep the bears away... cute little things.

How long can three changes of clothes usually last on an extended trip? Washing socks and underwear would be the priority I would think. Anybody ever hear of a solar powered clothes dryer? Wood fired?? Like a food dehydrator? Just spit balling.

Reactions: Aequitas1916

Aequitas1916

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Florida, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Weet
Member #

Service Branch
U.S. Navy
I'll have to look into getting more moisture wicking clothing. I usually just take what I've got, which is pretty much all cotton, except for my socks.

The Coleman's a good idea too. I can rig that up under a tent fly. I thought about one of those crank things. My friend has one, but he also camps in an RV, so he's got space to spare.

I usually take 3-4 sets of clothes on a 3 week trip. I keep laundry to a minimum by wearing jeans and shirts at least twice. But sometimes they need it more when were prospecting up there. It's dirty work.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We have a Scrubba for washing, we use fast-dry clothing and it dries well in most conditions. Avoid fabrics like jeans - they take ages to dry properly.

Reactions: MiamiC70

KF0APA

Rank VI

Trail Mechanic I

Lebanon, MO, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Bryson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0APA
Reactions: MiamiC70

uncompromise

Rank V

Advocate I

Buzy, Pyrénées-Atlantiques, France
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

Scrubba for washing, and wool gear so you don’t need to wash as often. Additionally, wearing damp wool (which I’ve had to do on more than one occasion) is still insulating, and the body heat dries it out pretty fast. I have wool socks, underwear, and short and long-sleeve t-shirts. Cotton is pretty much the worst - as soon as it gets wet - from rain or sweat - it stops breathing, and it stinks up pretty fast. I‘ve travelled through all sorts of environments for months on end with only three pairs of socks and underwear and two t-shirts. Pants can get as filthy as they need to; I always have a primary pair I wear all of the time, and a secondary back up in case the first get so dirty or wet that they’re unwearable. another advantage of wool is that it’s anti-microbial, so it takes a lot longer to smell bad, and even just a solid rinse in water is usually enough to make something wearable again.

Reactions: FishinCrzy