Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

I have a few weeks of vacation time for this summer, and I just realized that I better do something with it sooner than later. I'm operating under the assumption that things are as open as they are going to be right now, and as COVID numbers go up, things will start shutting down again. I'm hoping to leave in the next week or so.

I need to go to Fairfiled Ca (Bay Area) to check in on my dad for a few days, and I am starting in Galveston TX.

General route plan is to head out I10 to Los Angeles-ish, then head up to the Bay Area on either I5 or 101. The return trip will go out I-80 through Reno to Salt Lake City, then cut south to the western slope. Once I make it to NM, I'm in more familiar lands, so I'll probably just book it back home from there.

I would love to do this on dirt roads as much as possible, but with limited time for both planning and the trip itself, along with a changing landscape of closures, that's not going to happen. I prefer through routes over out and back. I'm hoping to stick with the general highway corridors, but hop off as much as possible/practical to hit the dirt or at least back roads over major highways.

So what are some must sees along that general route? I'm going though a good part of the southwest offroad/overlanding hotspots in Arizona and southern CA, as well as Utah and Colorado, so this is more of a "limit my options" type request since I could easily spend a couple weeks in any one of those areas. I'm trying to avoid the Instagram famous list (sorry Wave, not gonna happen!), and I have no interest in waiting in line for 3 hours to get a picture of my rig on a cliff.

As far as vehicle capability is concerned, I have a 2019 4runner offroad (so rear locker and all the traction control goodies) with a 3"lift & AT tires (stock size), winch, and fairly well stocked with recovery gear. I will be solo, so no spotters available. I've been contemplating installing a front camera for self spotting, but I don't have the time to work that one out right now. The most technical terrain I'd be comfortable with would be something like the trails around Ouray Co (so Alpine loop, Imogene Pass type stuff).

Thanks for any help!

-Chris

pre-winch pic for interest!

image.jpg

Lost-Again

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Again
Member #

I forgot to mention that I travel solo a lot too! Invest in a Garmin Inreach mini. Nothing like being able to text from your iPhone when there's no cell service. It can get a little lonely at times.

sea_ledford

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Galveston, TX, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Ledford
Member #

Big bend was on the original list of places to go. Last I checked BBNP was still closed, and the state park wasn't taking new overnight reservations. Plus hot. I'll stick with winter big bend trips!

Good tip on the in-reach!

Mike5250

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Philly
First Name
Mike
Last Name
S
I’ll be in ouray/telluride now till the 3rd-5th range, then south to sedona, then NM, leaving there by 7/10 or so. If you think you’ll be in that area I’m down for trails and if we end up camping that works too.