Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

The wife and I were going to fly in and out, but at the last minute decided to drive to Santa fe.
This will be a 2 stage trip. The back half we have padded an extra day so we can find some fun backroads and a nice spot to camp.

The first part, we will be coming into Santa FE from Salt Lake city, We have done this drive before but always gone the fastest route through moab and then gallup and over. This time we were thinking about going over through Grand Junction and then down to Santa fe. My question about this part of the trip is does anyone know of some scenic backroads or a better route that are we can drive instead of the HWY?

We have an extra day built in on the back end of the trip next week. I am looking for suggestions.
We will be heading from Santa Fe back to the santa barbara area of CA. I am looking for suggestions of a fun dirt route with a some scenery and maybe even a hot spring or a swimming hole. We will camp out there. The most direct route from Santa Fe back to the SB area is the 40. So something close to the 40 would be nice.

Thanks

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Have you done any of the 4WD roads around Silverton/Ouray/Telluride, CO?

How about the scenic Million Dollar Hwy between between Ouray and Silverton?

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
Agreed with heading south out of Grand Junction on Hwy 50/550 through Ridgway/Ouray/Silverton/Durango. This is a very scenic drive and you can hit some of the famous trails around Ouray and Silverton if you have time. If you stay with the Moab route and come down from Cortez - do not go all the way to Gallup. Go through Farmington and Bloomfield before heading south to Bernalillo where I-25 will take you to Santa Fe. You can also take a detour at Cuba and hit highway 126, then to highway 4 through the Jemez mountains, to Los Alamos, then onto Santa Fe. This is an amazing drive as well. Stay safe and enjoy our state.

Jgallo1

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

MT/ CA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Gallo
Member #

Agreed with heading south out of Grand Junction on Hwy 50/550 through Ridgway/Ouray/Silverton/Durango. This is a very scenic drive and you can hit some of the famous trails around Ouray and Silverton if you have time. If you stay with the Moab route and come down from Cortez - do not go all the way to Gallup. Go through Farmington and Bloomfield before heading south to Bernalillo where I-25 will take you to Santa Fe. You can also take a detour at Cuba and hit highway 126, then to highway 4 through the Jemez mountains, to Los Alamos, then onto Santa Fe. This is an amazing drive as well. Stay safe and enjoy our state.

If we are heading west on the 40, in western NM or AZ any recommended off the path camp sites ?
Thank you

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hello FireMedicPQ1, I knew you would come through with something for these folks.
Lanlubber

Reactions: FireMedicPQ1

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
If we are heading west on the 40, in western NM or AZ any recommended off the path camp sites ?
Thank you
You can find some great places on Mount Taylor just outside of the town of Grants along I40. If you head south from Grants through the El Malpais and El Morro National Monument, there are some beautiful areas to explore. If you wait until AZ, you will either have to veer southwest from Holbrook to get into the mountains, or wait until Flagstaff. Plenty of areas along both routes.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
That whole area is pretty good and definitely recommend 550 down to Durango, amazing drive!. We were just there a few months ago and took 160 out of Durango to Pagosa Springs and kept on 160 thru Wolf Creek Pass and took a jeep road there up on the Continential Divide, it was a blast. Then we went on to Alamosa and dropped down 285 then hit 64 to Taos, pretty awesome spot, then dropped down and took 84 into Santa Fe. Its a little bit out of the way, but very scenic and you get to hit Taos. We also took a loop from Taos that goes up to Red Rive and Eagle Nest and circles back to Taos. That was a very cool route. Check it out on a map, you hit some great places. I've done several trips out to Santa Fe and Durango and that route is my favorite.

Last edited: