Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

I would like to see what recommendations are out there for larger size bags that are weatherproof (water and dust) for roof rack use. These would be for large but relatively light items such as camp chairs and tables, sleeping cots and pads, sleeping bags, etc. The camp furniture items I have pack down to around 42" or so in length. I would like to have bag(s) that are durable and will last in the open (road wind, hot/cold temperature, UV resistance, etc.) and will be primarily ratchet strapped down on a roof rack during trips. I have seen many duffel bags that are the right size but they were not where I would like them to be in terms of weatherproof capability and durability. Dry sacks seem like an ideal solution but I haven't been able to find any in the large size that I am looking for.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I bought a Yakima bag, the size of my roof basket, that is made to be weatherproof, etc. It's not a duffle bag shape though.

Maverick9110E

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Following this thread, i'd like to get 3 or 4 for everyone in the truck. I'd like to eventually ditch the tonnau cover but need some storage options.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I use seal line portage bags. I bought a pair for canoe trips but they’ve served well on the roof rack from time to time. These are the largest size I’ve seen, a pair would hold an entire canoe worth of camping provisions allowing a pair of paddlers to carry a pack each and the canoe for single trip portages.

Reactions: Boort

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Looks like the only two options so far for a somewhat long bag at 42” are a couple of dry bags from NRS.

Extra Long Dry Bag
Outfitter Dry Bag

There seem to be a lot more dry bag and rugged duffel bag options that are 36” or shorter in length. Perhaps I need to replace my old chairs with a different model that will pack up to less than 36” in length.

Reactions: MMc

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Outdoor Gear Lab has a good review of duffel bags that may help.

Rhino Rack has a series of bags designed to go on the roof.

As does Frontrunner, but I think it's too short to fit the chairs unfortunately.

I really like the North Face Duffels and own two of them, but the zipper design isn't 100% waterproof so I'd hesitate to put them on top of the truck if it was going to rain.

RedLeg

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Locust Grove, VA
First Name
Leif
Last Name
Henecke
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Check out Drifta... they make great products and ship them fast from Australia. I just replaced my Oztent bag with their replacement bag and it’s incredibly well made and water-proof.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Looks like the only two options so far for a somewhat long bag at 42” are a couple of dry bags from NRS.

Extra Long Dry Bag
Outfitter Dry Bag

There seem to be a lot more dry bag and rugged duffel bag options that are 36” or shorter in length. Perhaps I need to replace my old chairs with a different model that will pack up to less than 36” in length.

How important is having the chairs in a waterproof bag? It might be easier to get the chairs in one semi water resident bag and the rest of the stuff in smaller 36”size water proof bags? Just spitballing here.

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
I bought one of these a couple of years ago from Amazon. 15 cu ft and it's water proof. I drove from San Antonio to Iowa in December and hit rain and snow. Nothing got even a bit damp. I also used it going to west Texas and out there we got some dust in it. Not too bad, but the rain flap still allowed a bit of dust in.
roof top bag.jpgfjcruiser.jpg

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
I use a Lewis N Clark 40L dry bag on my rack. I used it for a 7k mile cross country trip through with snow & hail with no issues. Dust did get deep into the roll top, but never inside.

janders

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Andersen
Can't go wrong with NRS. All their stuff is bomb.

DrewKD

Rank V

Influencer II

Pasadena CA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Dancel
Member #

Plus 1 for the TNF Base Camp duffel bags. They are tough and water resistant. Multiple sizes too. I have used them for years for Motorcycle camping. They do well in the snow, rain, and extreme heat. Very durable.

WanderingWinters

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Yeppoon QLD, Australia
First Name
Ewan
Last Name
Winter
Member #

I can also vouch for the North Face Base Camp duffles. We have 6 of them and they’ve been dragged all over the world keeping our gear safe and dry

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

We carry our kayak seats, PDF's and other kayak related items in a Cabela's waterproof bag on top of our tear drop trailer. It has an end to end zipper covered by a Velcro flap to keep things dry.

19-06-26 8.JPG

Reactions: darjo242

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

Thanks for the good recommendations. I’m going to try a NRS bag first and see how that works with the stuff I have and then go from there to see how many other bags I’ll need. I would like for the bags to be a manageable size but also to keep the number of bags to a minimum.