• HTML tutorial

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

I built 2x roof racks in one,

I needed a slimline roof rack as I have a 6’6” height limit. As I live in an apartment and only have 6 inches above the vehicle in access mode there are a very few companies who supply a roof rack with the 84x56 inch but not the height limitation.

1x main Roof Rack with 1020 aluminium extrude. This will be the main roof rack to attach the Jerry Cans, lights, take the weight of the boxes,

1x secondary roof rack is the uni strut which is the strapping and load bearing for 270 degree awning and any other heavy weight.

Next is to get it powder coated in red. Or same colour of the vehicle.

Total weight was 50 lbs

IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3069.JPG
IMG_3070.JPGIMG_3071.JPGIMG_3072.JPGIMG_3073.JPG

Reactions: Jimmy P

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

Great to see another person using 80/20 for roof racks. Love that stuff - lightweight, and it holds up very well!
Yea it’s working fine. Just going to make some brackets from the 80/20 to mount the trax and jerry cans.
The Mrs wants it powder coated red like the spot lights

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Yea it’s working fine. Just going to make some brackets from the 80/20 to mount the trax and jerry cans.
The Mrs wants it powder coated red like the spot lights
I was thinking of powder coating mine as well. Since it comes anodized already, it would adhere nicely. I'm not sure which profile you used, but if it's 30 series or 15 series, I found that 5/16 carriage bolts will fit down the slots as long as you shave a bit off the sides. I used them to mount my own traction boards: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/subaru-forester-18-xt.21741/#post-295422

Reactions: Fozzy325

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

It’s actually 10 series due to hight restrictions but it’s all 1020 so 2” by 1” thick. But for any extra heavy stuff I have 4x unistrut bars hidden in there for extra strength. That will help when I mount the batwing.