Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

- Are there any shops that are doing the Cummins R 2.8 engine swap for a Land Rover Discovery II?
- Is it foolishness for me to think that I could buy a $3000 Land Rover Discovery II, swap the engine and transmission, suspension, front and rear bumpers, tires and wheels, and armor and still be under $30,000

Reactions: DiscoLando

CZHipster

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

South West Florida
Member #

This would be an awesome swap and I would love to see it. As I am not from California I don't care about their silly emissions standards. I am hoping the more folks buy this motor the lower the prices will go because it would be an excellent fit for a disco 2, imho. I do not know anyone currently doing it, sadly

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This is a conversation I would rather have by a campfire. It looks like were both in So Cal so if we ever meet up on the trail I can give more details.
I have done/helped/assisted over a dozen engine swaps so far and diagnosed/helped diagnose even more. Each one had to meet Cali emissions. If I was going to do a diesel it would be the cummings 2.8. The nice part is their 50 state legal and the cummings shops are being trained to work on them as a conversion motor.

Now the bad part. When this is done you will own a Frankenstein. Cummings eng, advanced adapters "adapter", GM manual trans, advanced adapters transfer case. The GM 6 speed auto would be nice but it opens another can of worms.
Your not going to find anyone to do any real diagnostics outside of the engine itself. You will need to be the expert.

Next issue is making the other computers and gauges in the vehicle work properly. Custom mod's on the fuel system and tank and a bunch more. Most of the engine swaps I've seen over the years are sold within two years. I cant count the number of people who have come to me with weird issues after buying someone's "professionally" done swap.
Your estimate of around 30 grand is pretty realistic. I did the math on that motor into my FJ80 and came to around 25 grand with me doing all the work. If you found someone who has done several swaps into a discovery, your already ahead of the game. If not guess who's vehicle is their learning curve.

I'm not trying to badmouth or putdown anyone who may have done something like this. I know what it takes to do these things and they all look great from the outside. Alot of this hinges on what year the discovery is also. The newer it is, the more computers you need to trick into thinking it has the stock drive line. That is if you want to retain the factory features. Most of your high end computer vehicles have all the computers talking in a loop. Remove the engine computer and they don't know how to react.
My advice, if your going to do this, get a 1995 or older vehicle, gut it and make it a toy. Fewer computers and you don't have to worry about re-tuning that cummings to put out more power.

Sorry if this looks like a rant, it's not. Ive seen too many people over the years do things like this and not get what they thought they would end up with. I have also only touched on some of the challenges that need to be overcome.

As I said, in person I could do a better job of hitting all the high points and challenges. This was a swap I was going to do. The reason I didn't go farther with it was I decided to stay with the factory motor.

Scott

Reactions: CCHeath

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

- Scott thank you for the rant as you called it. It is good to hear from some one that has done swaps and considered doing one their self. Do you have a shop or do you just work from home? I work out in Fontana and travel through Ontario on the way to work. I think I will go back to my plan on buying a stock newer vehicle. Thanks for the post it clarified a lot of stuff I wouldn't have thought of like computers.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
All of my engine swap work has been at home. I swore I wasn't going to do any more, then a friend talked me into a 2004 4.3 gm V6 and 4l60E trans in a 84 Toyota 4X4. When we were done it was about 8 grand (no labor). The first thing he said was, the 22R 4cyl had more torque but, my truck is now great on the freeway. He was blown away on how much custom work we had to do. At least making the instrument cluster work with the GM eng wasn't too bad.

Scott