Land Rover Defender Build

• HTML tutorial

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

I got my rig new in September last year and have been slowly working on it but still have a long way to go so I thought I might as well make a thread for it.

So far all I have done is add an APT fabrications bull bar, a tradesmans roof rack to which I have attached a jack and shovel holder and ARB awning, a rear ladder and a rear recovery point.
I have put dynamat and marine carpet in the back to try to give it a bit of soundproofing which I also intend to add to the rest of the car when I have time.
I also have a Mulgo ExBox, which is a box that goes under the cubby box to house all the electronics and frees up space under the drivers seet for starage. However installing this and the CB radio with it will be a big job so naturally I have been putting it off for months, hopefully I can get onto it soon.

In the neer future I intend to add a snorkel, rock sliders, aux fuel tank, dual battery and diff locks so I'll keep you all updated with lots of pictures as things happen.

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

Today I installed the ExBox which I mentioned previously I have been putting off for a while. All the electronics are now nice and high up away from water, my CB is installed, I added a USB and a 12v socket and there is a large storage space free under the drivers seat.
DSC_0337-1.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0348.jpg

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

Last week I ordered a winch off an online store. It is a cheep, chinese built 12ooo lb unit called the Domin8r previously branded as Tigerz11 and now 4wd Supa Centre. As I said it is just a cheapie but I have heard pretty good things about them and it comes with a 5 year warranty so I figured I can't go wrong and being 1/5th the price of a Warne helps.
Unfortunately my bar doesn't have anywhere to mount the control box so I'm going to have to make some sort of bracket to hold it so I can wire it up this weekend. So for now it is just dead weight on the front of my car.
DSC_0435.jpg

There should be a lot happening to my rig in the next few months as I have a few things on order so I'll make sure I keep this thread updated.

Last edited:

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

Over the last few days I added some lights to my rig, one 6" light bar on the back and an led light strip (not in any photos) on the awning. I put a nice big hole in the panel with a grommet bigger than I needed so I should be able to run power to plenty more accessories on my roof if the need arrises :grinning:
DSC_0442.JPG

controlled by some switches I installed in the cabin, I put in 2 extras as I am expecting more things to come in the future.

DSC_0445.JPG

Also, re the winch control box. Defenders have a vent on the passenger side wing top for the heater (see photo of bonnet in previous post) and a fake vent for the sake of symmetry on the opposite side which by lucky coincidence has plenty of free space under it. I cut a replacement part out of 3mm steel that I will mount the solenoid under and plug for the remote which will keep them high, above the water and easily accessible so hopefully I can have it wired up and working for my trip on the weekend.

DSC_0449.JPG

Reactions: Jimmy P

chris90

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Townsville, Australia
Member #

Got round to hooking the winch up after work but found out that the cable I had to get power from the battery isn't long enough so still not working till hopefully tomorrow but it's good to see how it looks hooked up.
DSC_0452.JPG DSC_0450.JPG

Reactions: Jimmy P and Jethro

Chris.n.world

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Juillac, Gironde, France
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Fou
Member #

Hi
Really nice defender ! I’m glad I found an other 90 user preparing his rig for overlanding ;)

I’ll post a thread on mine soon, my biggest concern now on is fuel capacity... Did you add anything for that ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant OB Talk