ghost08k

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Member #

hello all

new to the sit

so let start with the build

1995 land rover discovery 1 NAS v8 auto was the start of my build first of the 5 door d1

this was in 06 when I got the bug to build her

so first off on the list of things to get tiers 265/75/16 MT! well that was when it all started.. need a lift kit next then it all snow balled from there so 2 inch big blue 185lbs up front  125lbs in the rear then I when looking for a snorkel and did not like the prices on some the kits and most of the time stuff for the d1 is hard to find as the d1 is an older rig.

so I started custom building all the parts for build

custom snorkel and wadding kit light bar

next its time to go for a rid with the jeep club so the year is now 09 and I am out there playing for the first time all is well and have not worked the disco to hard up till the hill clime not knowing the history on my rig before I owned  her was I bit of a nag in my mind well as it turns out she did not like the new life and the auto box gave out on the clime up the hill from hell so them the real mods started the auto box is grate but I needed something a bit more driver and lest auto so I did a bit of digging and found a 5 speed and all the new bits to swop it over so now she is a r380 v8 doing 10 mpg that in the time of $4.00 a gl  yes that not to good lets just say not much was don in the was of getting out and over landing for the next 4 years so I'll skip the boring bits of sitting at home trying to go out and thinking dam 26gls and I get 260 miles

something has to give here the wife is always mad at me for not going out with the d1 then it hit me

time for a complete rebuild of my rig and that means a 300 tdi with a r380 yes I you read that right 300 turbo Diesel 2.5l

so in may of 2014 I did the most complete rebuild on the disco after ordering a engine and drive line from the uk and shipping it I have the next 3 month and pulled out the v8 and r380 that I put in rewire the engine bay and get all the new box and drive line in and fit the engine and get her to run right

July 18th 2014 the build sheet is now looks like this

2 inch lift, deep water wadding kit snorkel, custom hidden winch in the bumper light bar, 300 tdi ,upgraded intercooler, bigger rad, with a hot climate grill (Saudi grill), r380 5 speed, lt230 t-case new tires 245/75/16 MT and more gauges then I know where to put them get the truck out of my shop and back on the road 500 miles out of the build and there is 35mpg I have not had to see a gas station yet dam this is just grate

it been 5000 from the build and its now time to get back out there and do some of the things I have been planning with the wife and daughter

2015 2nd of April and the trekking starts

new tent and camping gear and all the things that are needed for a good camping trip next up  we are loaded and the rig is set and the 30a sand rover rally is up for the 11th and that's in Grayton beach Florida ok let go there was not much planning in this is just about 1 week from the event and its mad 333 miles  there so now we know where we going and we are gone its a grate weekend out there round trip was 667 and 24gl of Diesel we get back from this trip and rigs back in the shop for a quick driver shaft rebuild one of the u joints broke so I get all that new parts and then I get asked to come out to the scarr for the weekend hold up scarr texas rovers in tx and when 17th of April ummm ok 387 miles there ya I am lets go so the wife and daughter have to stay home on this one because she has testing for school so I have to do this one solo truck is load back up with spares and camping gear and off I go heading out to meat up with a friend in baton rouge for the drive to tx

so here we are 7th of July 2015 and its been one hell of a change in pace and have the ability to jump in the disco and go has changed the way I think now I can run for 700 miles befor I need to stop for fuel now that I can get out and not have to think about the cost of gas it more about the trip and the trek and the friends that make it just that much more then camping

there is more to this build but its like 5 am now

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I almost went with a Land Rover but around here parts are WAY to expensive. I opted for my Jeep instead. I think the Land Rovers are nice rigs and you have done a great job on yours

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I should have done this when the head gasket in my Disco started to give issues. That's a cool modification - no, a cool transformation of your LR!
What's next?

Reactions: ghost08k

ghost08k

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Member #

thank you all for the comments Ill have to update this more often since all of you have an interest it the rig
thank you and hears to a happy new year and my 2016 bring new horizons for all of you

Reactions: SLO Rob

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
thank you all for the comments Ill have to update this more often since all of you have an interest it the rig
thank you and hears to a happy new year and my 2016 bring new horizons for all of you
I may be a Jeep guy, but who doesn't love Land Rovers? Continue to update us on your progress. I enjoy watching peoples rigs evolve.

Reactions: WJ - Firefly

ghost08k

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Member #

timber there not that bad when you know where to get all the parts cheap but they can be a love hate type of thing

ghost08k

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Member #

here is the winch build

This is a Discrete (or hiden) mount which is custon made for my D1 as thay are not made for the D1 any more. All you can find at the supliers now is for the D2 which are more commen and they mount to the frame in a difefrent places. so with that in mind we had to make it. Looking at the way the D2 is made up this would take some time to get right but needs to be right so it can hold up to what it is pulling and more inportant is the safety of all involed in the winching . So with that in mind it was time to look for the parts to make this happen.
So off to Harborfreight for a badlands winch mounting plate then to Stines for bolts (12.9 and 10.9 ) the standard 8.8 just did not do it for me and the upgrade was needed. Autozone supplied some bits, wire 2, 4 and 14 gauge and to the scrap yard for some 7x4 on 90 angle (side note when looking for steel allways look in at your small local scrap yard as they may have what your looking for and at a nice price )
With all the supplies in and on the bench, time to start seeing how to pull this off .
Drop the winch on the plate ( after getting all the packing and boxes out of the shop ) and with the it sitting on the jack and the bumper still on see if it will fit up in there and no not with the solanird box on the winch. So that came off and now it fits in the hole behind the bumper.

So now the bumper comes off and we see how to perform the mounting of the plate. So with the plate needing to be cut and the side mounts needing to be cut and drilled off it all came and out comes the grinder and drill press. With all the drilling and cutting done its time to reassemble it and try it again. So with the winch sitting on the plate with the ends on, the winch did not sit flat on the clutch end. Need to releave the end plate and try again, Using a grinder. the end plate was ground out to give a nice gap under the cluch and back to fitting. Its good and sits flat on there this time, test fitting the whole assembly between the chassis rails it looks right so bolts go in, 3 per side, trial the bumper and looks good so off it all comes to be painted
(watching paint dry is a bit boring so have to find someting else to do)
humm ok lets see the box and see where to mount that under the hood just in frount of the 2 gl screen washer botltle, yep that will do (and yes i did get that right 2 gl washer boltel its more of a tank at that size) more cutting and drilling and we have a mounting sysyem for the box .

Paint is dry lets get that on and se to the wiring .
so now we have a rats nest sitting by the battery, thats ok 1 goes here and 3 go that way to the box and this 1 gose to the cut off switch and where is that going umm there. Back to cutting and drilling 30 minutes and we have a mount for the cut out. Now that the rats nest is not of the way and trunked up we can put the bumper back on and see if it all works like thay say it does
With all that on the truck and it getting cold out side in the shop time to call it a night and go look on the web and read the book on the winch, all winches come with minimum tension on the cable so digging around on the web and see how the best way to tension the cable.

ARB and waren say to do it this way superwinch say that way so pick the best of both worlds and shoud be good . I do that in the morring .
Next day the disco is comeing out of the shop geting ready for the tension wind. So run all the cable out and back wind the spool so there is 5 raps on the drum and start winding it back in nice and neat and she pulls well and has a good line rate not the best but it all good for me
after a week of working on this it turned out just how we planed it to.
I must say thank you to my friend john who hepled with the running around getting all the stuff to make this happen and my farther for all the work on the mounting brackets

Attachments