Launch Member

Contributor III

San Bruno
First Name
James
Last Name
Sarmiento
Member #

Has anyone made the trek towards slick rock in a Subaru? Want to know if the trail is doable in my Crosstrek with 1.5 lift and KO2's. Just want to get to the recommended camping area.

Reactions: infennonlabs

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
In my opinion you would definitely need a low range and more clearance to run the entire trail. Historically the entrance on the Lake Alpine side has been fairly easy, but it was recently re-routed and I've heard it is now much more difficult. The last time I ran Slickrock was a few years ago before the reroute. You could explore the south end near Utica, Union, and Spicer Resevoir, there are some good camping spots in that area.

Some other trails to consider in that area are:
- Calaveras Dome (you can camp on the dome, lots of dirt roads in this area)
- Highland Lakes
- 7N93 which starts on the road into Bear Valley ski resort
- Mattley Ridge

There are hundreds of miles of dirt roads to both the north and south of Highway 4 to the west of Bear Valley, and there is a way you can head north across the Mokelumne River and get all the way up to highway 88.

Enthusiast I

Brentwood, CA
Member #

It depends what you mean by "the recommended camping area". If you mean the campgrounds on the south end near Utica, you are fine. It's just a dirt road. If you mean the creek a mile in from CA4, then absolutely not. Slick Rock is an off-road trail. Watch some videos.

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Grove, CA 95690, USA
First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Slick Rock is a Subaru, pretty sure that would not be wise. The new reroute looks very challenging for more capable rigs. There's already several videos on YouTube showing the new trail section.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

Has anyone made the trek towards slick rock in a Subaru? Want to know if the trail is doable in my Crosstrek with 1.5 lift and KO2's. Just want to get to the recommended camping area.
Not going to happen if you’re planning on going to the camp spot 1.5 miles in from Hwy4. The trail is too rutted and rocky for your setup. There are other spots to check out though. Check out my three part video series of that area:

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/overlanding-in-the-sierra-nevadas.15559/

Reactions: James Sarmiento

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Grove, CA 95690, USA
First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

James Sarmiento

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

San Bruno
First Name
James
Last Name
Sarmiento
Member #

Thanks for the advise Mue. Thanks for the suggestions Slomatt. Actually went up last week and I did some exploring. Ended up camping in the Utica res. Going up next week to do more exploring. Nice videos Mue.

Reactions: slomatt