Ladder recommendation

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Hi everyone, I’m looking for help deciding which type of ladder to get for my Jeep Grand Cherokee roof access. What do you all prefer: a mounted/bolted ladder such as the Gobi ladder or a portable telescoping ladder? I have a Chief Products platform style roof rack and will be adding a RTT in the coming months. So the ladder will be for RTT access while camping, as well as general roof rack access when I’m not using the RTT. This is my daily driver. I’m hoping your experience can help steer me in the right direction, thanks!

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
There are numerous reports and images online of those causing damage to door frames and latch mechanisms. Personally, those never seemed like a good idea to me.
Yes, I know there have been complaints. Apparently some of these are badly made and create point stress which can cause damage. Ours was used more or less daily (often several times) over a 9 month trip with no damage at all (as you can see - the photo was taken after the trip).

Reactions: ItchingForAdventure

Traveler I

I like this option! I’d still need a full length ladder to get into the RTT but this is a great option for quick access to the roof. Thanks!
One of the reasons we don't have a RTT - I'm not as limber as I used to be!
Ha, it’s only a matter of time before I get there as well. At this point in my life I’d rather climb up the ladder than sleep on the ground though.

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

I've got the Gobi ladder. It's a good design and well built. The price tag and wait times to get one are really the only strikes against it.

Reactions: ItchingForAdventure

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Ha, it’s only a matter of time before I get there as well. At this point in my life I’d rather climb up the ladder than sleep on the ground though.
We sleep in the vehicle - it's set up with a bed - took out the rear two rows of seats, built a frame, storage, fridge, drawers, etc. It's a great option.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I walk right up my work trucks windshield. Just have to be careful stepping on the hood/fender gap area.

Go with a portable ladder.

Maybe an telescope one is all you need: