Bernkastel-Kues, Germany
First Name
Payten
Last Name
Dampeer
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
hey, hows it going everyone .. I have a quick question.. Has anyone been on Imogene pass or black bear trail I believe its called?

BlackSheepExpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Maiden North Carolina
First Name
John
Last Name
Bellesfield
Member #

hey, hows it going everyone .. I have a quick question.. Has anyone been on Imogene pass or black bear trail I believe its called?
Imogene Pass is a pretty simple trail. One of the most amazing views at the top of you have a chance camp on the crest..

Black Bear is a challenging trail if you have issues with heights or driving an oversized vehicle..

PaytenD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bernkastel-Kues, Germany
First Name
Payten
Last Name
Dampeer
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Imogene Pass is a pretty simple trail. One of the most amazing views at the top of you have a chance camp on the crest..

Black Bear is a challenging trail if you have issues with heights or driving an oversized vehicle..
Have a 2018 4runner trd pro stock and an overlanding trailer just curious if i would have any issues with that on either one.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I had the pleasure of going down to that area this summer to run those two and about 6 others trails. This is a must for anyone who wants to see some of the most beautiful vistas in Colorado. I will be back to do more in the area for years to come!

We camped up off of CorkScrew Gulch. They really frown upon setting up camp up in the alpine tundra due to the damage it causes. It is very fragle and with so many visiters they want to limit camping there. I imagine as long as you set-up out of the way and still are on the trail that would be ok, we found spots below tree line that was much better anyways.

Last edited:

PaytenD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bernkastel-Kues, Germany
First Name
Payten
Last Name
Dampeer
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I had the pleasure of going down to that area this summer to run those two and about 6 others trails. This is a must for anyone who wants to see some of the most beautiful vistas in Colorado. I will be back to do more in the area for years to come!

We camped up off of CorkScrew Gulch. They really frown upon setting up camp up in the alpine tundra due to the damage it causes. It is very fragle and with so many visiters they want to limit camping there. I imagine as long as you set-up out of the way and still are on the trail that would be ok, we found spots below tree line that was much better anyways.
Thank you. Yeah I’m just trying to get a solid idea of what I’ll be able to tackle with my 4Runner and trailer since I don’t have a roof rack to put the tent on. IMG_7016.JPG

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

The campsite we used wasn't to hard to get to up CorkScrew gulch and was pretty secluded. At the base there was plenty of camping too but lots of nieghbors. Like the other poster said Blackbear you won't want a trailer in tow. And we didn't take the stock 4 runner on Mineral creek and was glad of that. But most of the other trails the 4-runner would have been fine even Black bear. I would think about a campground for a night or two and just explore with out the trailer in tow. It would make doing all the trails feasible. Also if you have the whole family with you (kids?) I would save at least half a day to do the town of Ouray and take the family for a swim in the hotsprings pool, relax and get clean-up. They just renovated it and it's great!!!

PaytenD

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bernkastel-Kues, Germany
First Name
Payten
Last Name
Dampeer
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
The campsite we used wasn't to hard to get to up CorkScrew gulch and was pretty secluded. At the base there was plenty of camping too but lots of nieghbors. Like the other poster said Blackbear you won't want a trailer in tow. And we didn't take the stock 4 runner on Mineral creek and was glad of that. But most of the other trails the 4-runner would have been fine even Black bear. I would think about a campground for a night or two and just explore with out the trailer in tow. It would make doing all the trails feasible. Also if you have the whole family with you (kids?) I would save at least half a day to do the town of Ouray and take the family for a swim in the hotsprings pool, relax and get clean-up. They just renovated it and it's great!!!
Thank you for the advice. It’s just my wife, the two pups and myself. We hope to find a campsite once we get there we are just a tad nervous about leaving our trailer there we would hate for something to get stolen.

CampWithChin

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lexington, MA
First Name
Alfred
Last Name
Chin
Member #

Have a 2018 4runner trd pro stock and an overlanding trailer just curious if i would have any issues with that on either one.
Don’t do Black bear with a trailer. I can’t imagine doing the steep, tight & narrow switchback with a trailer. Stock 4Runner is fine for most trail include black bear.

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I’m leaving today up highway 395. Tonight’s camp in the Alabama Hills, and then Saturday up into the White Mountains through the Bristlecone pine Forest Scenic Byway and Sunday hiking White Mountain Peak. That will be my first fourteener!

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Thank you for the advice. It’s just my wife, the two pups and myself. We hope to find a campsite once we get there we are just a tad nervous about leaving our trailer there we would hate for something to get stolen.
Are you there yet? We are headed that way.