KTempletonTX 2004 Tundra Double Cab Family Adventure Mobile / DD Pool Guy Truck

• HTML tutorial

KTempletonTX

Rank 0

Contributor I

As I've looked around on here and drooled over some of these builds, I figured I should at least contribute and throw up my own page/build where I can keep suggestions and document plans in one place to look back on. So here goes....

I have been the owner of two 3.4 Tacoma extended cabs. I needed to make the jump to a 4 door with more room. Was going to get a newer TRD PRO Tundra or Tacoma, until a friend was selling a truck that belonged to his dad, who had passed away. I haven't had a car note in almost 10 years now, so I figured why start now. Figured with a pregnant wife and dogs in tow now, bigger had to be better! So here I am with my new toy. I've had several different ideas for it. But just opening a store front to our family business, plans have been toned back and delayed. But winter is approaching and I'm sure we will have plenty of wrench time if funds cooperate.

It was used as a work truck. Had a camper (not sure what happened to it) and pulled a trailer around our small little town doing home repair and remodels. Trailer was typically empty but the guy just liked bells and whistles. I'm beginning to find these bells and whistles are a little more rigged than properly installed.

Current Specs:

2004 Tundra Double Cab 4x4
130k miles
4.7 v8
Air lift in rear w/ on board compressor and switches
1.5''-2'' spacer lift up front
285/75/r16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS II
Mickey Thompson imitation beadlocks
Warn Winch Mount
Warn XD9000i

I want to get back to my Camping, Exploring, Fishing, Surfing and just being outdoors. So a solid base camp is what I was looking for.
I want this rig to be tough as nails now that I'm not solo anymore. Will have precious cargo in tow with my first kiddo on the way.
I will try to update as I go and hopefully receive tips and pointers on this thing lasting me another 150k-200k miles. Did I mention I hate car notes?

Short term plans:
Remove spacer lift
Replace front suspension components
Possible long travel but def Mid travel set up at least

As well as knock out routine maintenance since I'm not sure what's been done and hasn't.

Fire away with anything you got.20161011_130245.jpg 20161028_101043.jpg 20160806_144502.jpg

dventoza

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portsmouth, Virginia
Member #

These trucks are tough and will last a long time if maintained. I have had my 04 for a year and a half now. From my searching and gathering, the main thing to keep up on is to change the timing belt every 90k-100k miles and always keep an eye on your lower ball joints. Also, these trucks had the same frame rust problems as the Tacomas of the era so keep an eye on that as well, unless you were one of the lucky ones who got a frame replacement while the recall was still open. What state are you in?

KTempletonTX

Rank 0

Contributor I

TX, All has been taken care of and truck is rust free. I bought the truck from a buddy who's dad passed away. It is very lightly used. except for the driver seat. Cracked leather. but everything else has records.

dventoza

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Portsmouth, Virginia
Member #

TX, All has been taken care of and truck is rust free. I bought the truck from a buddy who's dad passed away. It is very lightly used. except for the driver seat. Cracked leather. but everything else has records.
Sounds like you got a great truck then!! Can't wait to see the build progress!

KTempletonTX

Rank 0

Contributor I

Looks great! Do you have any long term plans and/or extra lighting plans?
Eventually yes. I want to knock out general maintaince then figure out what I want to do as far as suspension goes. It's got a spacer lift now with shot front shocks.

Once I get that done I will explore bumpers. Wish ARB had better options for it. I'm going to hold out on lighting until I figure out what I'm going to do up there. I have a few spot lights now if I get into something I need of for. But as for now I don't think they will be needed for the interim

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

raundhaus

Rank III

Advocate II

Eventually yes. I want to knock out general maintaince then figure out what I want to do as far as suspension goes. It's got a spacer lift now with shot front shocks.

Once I get that done I will explore bumpers. Wish ARB had better options for it. I'm going to hold out on lighting until I figure out what I'm going to do up there. I have a few spot lights now if I get into something I need of for. But as for now I don't think they will be needed for the interim

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Here in the PNW, there is a company that sells very good looking weld-together front bumper kits for all sorts of Toyotas, your model included. I believe they are $390 or so. Even if you add shipping and the cost of having someone weld it up, I bet it competes with the $800 minimum of a ready made bumper. Or better yet, maybe someone close to you does something similar. They advertise through Craigslist.
https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ptd/5897572521.html

Sent from my SM-T560NU using OB Talk mobile app

KTempletonTX

Rank 0

Contributor I

Well a year has gone by and I have completely sucked at keeping up with this..... shortly after starting this my wife and I lost the baby we were pregnant with (she was still fairly early in the process). I guess that's where I lost track of this and truck plans went on the back burner for a while. As for the good news.... We not have a little boy due in 2 weeks!

Here in Houston and owning a pool supply and service company. It was a busy busy busy season. From Hurricanes, World Series Champs it's been crazy. Up until Tuesday it was still 82 degrees out. Good for business. But... After a few days off wind and rain. We got a little over an inch of snow here last night. So the store and service calls are slow, so here I am ready to get this rig built.

I haven't done a whole lot with everything being busy. Just some regular maintenance type things The original owner rolled up with a box of parts from the garage they were cleaning out. Inside was a set of Donahoe Racing coilovers. I guess he took off to have rebuilt and never did it. I threw them on to see if I wanted to have more done to them when off being rebuilt. Having the reg #650 coil I def want to move up to an inch longer and #700 coil for the added weight in the front end. I have a set of Camburg UCA's that are waiting to go on as well. Actually I have a stack of stuff ready to go on. I changed out the steering rack bushings and found I need to replace the rack as well. I figure I would do the whole front end at once. Rack, Tie Rods, Lower ball joints, and install the UCA, that could give be a better feel for the suspension. I took advantage of Black Friday deals and got a new radio and speakers. The CD player was out and wanted to move to something with hands free. Huge difference in sound and appearance.

Once our little dude gets here we want to start him in the being outdoors phase rather soon to get used to it for when he's a bit older. Prob just some overnight or weekend stuff to get him acclimated. Other than that, i'll try o update it sometime before 2019

PetfishEric

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Knoxville, TN
Member #

Congratulations on the Boy and don't be afraid to get him outside as soon as possible. I like the looks of your Tundra, you will have to post some updated photos once you get the front end work completed.

Grohe

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

Cedar Lake, Indiana
Member #

Love the first gen Tundras, been looking around for one or first gen Sequoia as a 2nd vehicle. Looking forward to how this turns out.