Kovea portable butane heater

• Thread starter Deleted member 59857
  • Start date
  • HTML tutorial
Kovea Cupid portable butane heater-
Got this for heating up the tent and it's a fantastic portable unit. Uses common, cheap butane cans.
I like it because they burn cleaner and work at higher altitudes than propane.
Ignites easily and comes with a plastic hardcase. Packs small and well.

Also have to recommend GTFO, as they were the same price and faster shipping than Amazon! Great service. No affiliation at all!

Reactions: Corrie and KWDavis

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
The heater is great but, Butane no so much in the PNW, once it gets cold and damp it is less effective. Even a t -1 or 2 C butane often will not work.

I got a series of adaptors that let me Butane, ISO Butane or propane.

You need 3 adaptors

• Propane tank
  • Butane for the inside of the heater
  • Butane can adaptor
2 hoses
  • extension hose for the heater uses with Butane
  • Hose with Valve used for the propane
The problem is propane is it is a much higher pressure and trips a safety inside the heater by using the valve you can control the fuel flow. You literarily barely crack the valve get flow and everything works great.

Adaptors and hoses

The inside adaptor, the blurry pin between the brass screws is the pressure relief, if you over pressure the feed you need to press it in to release the pressure. This only happens with propane

Reactions: KWDavis

Alertchief

Rank V

Advocate III

Henderson, Nevada, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
mountain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Alertchief
Kovea Cupid portable butane heater-
Got this for heating up the tent and it's a fantastic portable unit. Uses common, cheap butane cans.
I like it because they burn cleaner and work at higher altitudes than propane.
Ignites easily and comes with a plastic hardcase. Packs small and well.

Also have to recommend GTFO, as they were the same price and faster shipping than Amazon! Great service. No affiliation at all!
Love this guy. GreAt in desert altitudes.

Attachments

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I've been very pleased with how this little heater works for me. I purchased a case of butane/propane mix. Haven't had any troubles even at sub freezing temperatures in high attitude. I also like that the same fuel works in my small Coleman stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgallant

OnlyTaco

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Castro Valley CA
Member #

I've been very pleased with how this little heater works for me. I purchased a case of butane/propane mix. Haven't had any troubles even at sub freezing temperatures in high attitude. I also like that the same fuel works in my small Coleman stove.
Do you run into condensation issue with this?

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@OnlyTaco you will run into condensation issues, how bad depends on the humidity. Up here the PNW it could be significant other places less so. I use mine only outside to keep me warmer while making breakfast or in the evening when reading if fires are banned.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Do you run into condensation issue with this?
We have a pretty dry climate out here, but I'm sure that if I ran it to long it would create some condensation when I'm camping in the rig, but I generally only run it while I'm awake. We rely on good sleeping bags and thermal pads while we sleep. Don't think we would have to much condensation in our tent though.

Last edited:

Natenite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
Member #

The heater is great but, Butane no so much in the PNW, once it gets cold and damp it is less effective. Even a t -1 or 2 C butane often will not work.

I got a series of adaptors that let me Butane, ISO Butane or propane.

You need 3 adaptors

• Propane tank
  • Butane for the inside of the heater
  • Butane can adaptor
2 hoses
  • extension hose for the heater uses with Butane
  • Hose with Valve used for the propane
The problem is propane is it is a much higher pressure and trips a safety inside the heater by using the valve you can control the fuel flow. You literarily barely crack the valve get flow and everything works great.

Adaptors and hoses

The inside adaptor, the blurry pin between the brass screws is the pressure relief, if you over pressure the feed you need to press it in to release the pressure. This only happens with propane

Can you tell me more about those adapters? I am looking to try and run our Cupid off something flatter like an 11 lb propane tank. Can those adaptors do that? Any idea where I can find them? Thanks!

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Natenite I sourced most of it from Amazon, I will see if I still have the list. With propane you absolutely must have the control valve the pressure is so much higher it will trigger the safety.

I will take a few minutes find the parts list an make a proper post about it.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
To use propane you need 2 adaptors and hoses, as it is difficult to remove the interior adaptor. A 3rd connector is required if you want to use butane.

As noted above the pressure in a propane bottle is significantly higher, I would recommend staying with the 1 lb bottles. A larger tank works, I tested this am. perhaps a 1/4 turn or a bit more on the big tank valve and the same on the control valve.
I have no images of this but the propane adaptor simply screws on to the 20lb to 1 lb tank hose

When using propane you turn the valve maybe a 1/10 of a turn it requires very little movement to get the gas flowing and the heater fired up. If you go to far you will have to turn the gas off and depress the pressure safety switch with a small screw driver and try again.

Amazon links for the bits

Internal adaptor & Hose Amazon.com : camping moon Camping Butane Gas Stove Adapter with Extend Hose(19.69"/50cm), Input: EN417 Lindal Valve Canister, Output: Butane Gas Stove Z13M/Z16 : Sports & Outdoors

Propane Adaptor & hose Amazon.com: Jeebel Camp 24inch LPG Adapter Extension Hose 1L Propane Small Tank Input EN417 Lindal Valve Output: Sports & Outdoors

Butane adaptor Amazon.com : Jeebel Camp Gas Converter, for Butane Canister to Screw Gas Cartridge/Lindal Type Valve Adapter : Sports & Outdoors

Large propane tank adaptor - 20lb thank to 1 lb tank hose Amazon.com : GasSaf 5FT Propane Adapter and Hose Assembly Replacement with Hose for Type1 LP Tank and Gas Grill-CSA Certified : Garden & Outdoor

Images

Heater and adaptors

Fuel and adaptors

Internal adaptor and hose

Pressure safety switch

Setup for propane

Valve positions with propane

Off

On - perhaps 1/4 turn max

Setup for standard Butane the unit was designed for

Finally setup for Iso Butane used by Jet boils etc,

Natenite

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Missouri
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
knight
Member #

To use propane you need 2 adaptors and hoses, as it is difficult to remove the interior adaptor. A 3rd connector is required if you want to use butane.

As noted above the pressure in a propane bottle is significantly higher, I would recommend staying with the 1 lb bottles. A larger tank works, I tested this am. perhaps a 1/4 turn or a bit more on the big tank valve and the same on the control valve.
I have no images of this but the propane adaptor simply screws on to the 20lb to 1 lb tank hose

When using propane you turn the valve maybe a 1/10 of a turn it requires very little movement to get the gas flowing and the heater fired up. If you go to far you will have to turn the gas off and depress the pressure safety switch with a small screw driver and try again.

Amazon links for the bits

Internal adaptor & Hose Amazon.com : camping moon Camping Butane Gas Stove Adapter with Extend Hose(19.69"/50cm), Input: EN417 Lindal Valve Canister, Output: Butane Gas Stove Z13M/Z16 : Sports & Outdoors

Propane Adaptor & hose Amazon.com: Jeebel Camp 24inch LPG Adapter Extension Hose 1L Propane Small Tank Input EN417 Lindal Valve Output: Sports & Outdoors

Butane adaptor Amazon.com : Jeebel Camp Gas Converter, for Butane Canister to Screw Gas Cartridge/Lindal Type Valve Adapter : Sports & Outdoors

Large propane tank adaptor - 20lb thank to 1 lb tank hose Amazon.com : GasSaf 5FT Propane Adapter and Hose Assembly Replacement with Hose for Type1 LP Tank and Gas Grill-CSA Certified : Garden & Outdoor

Images

Heater and adaptors

Fuel and adaptors

Internal adaptor and hose

Pressure safety switch

Setup for propane

Valve positions with propane

Off

On - perhaps 1/4 turn max

Setup for standard Butane the unit was designed for

Finally setup for Iso Butane used by Jet boils etc,

Sweet lord thank you! This is soooo helpful! I am hoping to connect the Cupid and our stove to a larger size propane tank and the is an excellent guide to getting us there. Thank you!

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@Natenite Just on thing I forget that little button can be hard to depress if you really over pressurize it. Not end of the world just tough.

Works well on propane, it is a nice little heater on a cool night, but avoid using it in an enclosed space it tosses a ton of moisture

Happy to be of assistance

ahroc

Rank 0

Contributor I

NW USA
First Name
D
Last Name
R
Hi guys-gals. This thread caused a lot of fussing on my part. Although I'm not part of your culture I felt obligated to share my results with the Kovea Cupid. The pics will explain the most. 30-PSI regulator, MrHeater filter is about the same diameter as a Butane can and supports the custom adapter. Has worked fine so far for me.

Attachments

ahroc

Rank 0

Contributor I

NW USA
First Name
D
Last Name
R
Hi Baroda
The simple answer is yes, the 1-lb propane bottles are much higher pressure than the butane bottles the heater was designed for.
But...
If you carefully read ( rgallant's ) posts above... He is getting by with a little needle valve, barely opened. Essentially reducing the pressure with the needle valve. His method requires a little fine adjustment but seems to work OK for him.
I'm a bit of a tinkerer, I will always use this with propane and just want to hook it up and have heat. ( rgallant ) seemed to want to be able to use multiple fuel sources, thus multiple adapters.
I very much appreciated this ( rgallant's ) posts, it gave me confidence to purchase and play with this little heater. I now own two of these little Cupid's. One in my RV, one if my pick-up canopy.
Good Luck!

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@ahroc @Baroda yes I wanted multiple fuel sources, propane is generally available but that is for my stove primarily. I prefer the butane for the Kovea, but high altitudes and butane do not mix.

It is a great little heater for a cold morning sitting under my cook table or in front of a chair keeping my legs warm.

kylaknight

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Springfield, MO, USA
First Name
Kyla
Last Name
Knight
Member #

Hi guys-gals. This thread caused a lot of fussing on my part. Although I'm not part of your culture I felt obligated to share my results with the Kovea Cupid. The pics will explain the most. 30-PSI regulator, MrHeater filter is about the same diameter as a Butane can and supports the custom adapter. Has worked fine so far for me.
Could you explain what these pieces are or send links. I want to use a regulator but am at a loss at what I need to get. We currently use the set up listed above by rgallant but it can be hard to make it perfect so it doesn't shut itself off due to high pressure. Your use of a regulator sounds like you don't have that problem. Could you share all the parts you have in your set up?

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@kaylaknight looks like @ahroc used a 30 psi regulator to keep the propane pressure low enough.

This sort of thing would work Onlyfire QCC1 High Pressure Propane 0-20 PSI Adjustable Regulator with 5-Feet Hose for Type 1 LP Gas Tank, Fits for BBQ Grill, Fryer Turkey, Propane Burner, Fire Pit, Smoker, Heater and More Appliance : Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden for a big tank

This one for the smaller tanks MENSI One Pound Propane Gas Tank Low Pressure Adjustable Regulator with M12X1.5 Thread 0.7mm Nozzle : Amazon.ca: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Then you need adaptors for the output - I would need to do some research as to what works best with those