KO2 - can't plug slow leak?

• HTML tutorial

smalldog

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Just left the Jeep dealership where they said that I had a puncture in my side wall, and was told I had to buy a new tire. When I asked to see the side wall hole, the tech said that was about 1 inch from the edge, and thus could not be repaired, or if it was, then would not pass inspection.

It is a very small gauge nail that is causing the leak.

Is this correct about passing inspection? The puncture is about one inch from the edge.

The tire has about 15k on it.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Teague

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fairview, TN
Member #

I had to replace a brand new tire on my daily driver this summer, it was two or three months old. I definitely feel your frustration but it's done if it's the sidewall.

Reactions: BCBrian

[DO]Ron

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
First Name
Ron
Last Name
vAch
Member #

Same, had to replace a almost brand new tire due to a puncture that hit the sidewall. Structurally the tire is damaged probably so fixing it isn't really an option.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Sidewall punctures are a real bummer. But because the sidewall is constantly flexing, any type of patch will fail. I buy my tires at Discount tire now cause no matter where the puncture they replace the tire no questions asked.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using OB Talk mobile app

Ganja_Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Monroe, Wa
Member #

I hate to say it, but if you wheel, and they offer you some kind of tire protection plan, take it. I've already had Discount Tire (America's Tire) replace ALL 4 of my all terrain TA with brand new ones TWICE for free because of sidewall punctures. Normally I would say they aren't worth the money, but if you wanna air down low on shale, it might be a good thought.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

oklndovrlnd

Rank 0

Contributor I

1" from the sidewall isn't the sidewall... Steel belted radials have the steel running the entire width of the footprint, the sidewall itself however, is mainly nylon reinforced. I've patch-pluged dozens of tires "near" the sidewall, but still in the tread with success. Most shops use the 1" rule just to play it safe though, and it very well may be a stipulation for inspection.. short answer: yes it can be repaired. But if you aren't doing it yourself, it may be tough to find someone who will do it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using OB Talk mobile app

dhossk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atherley, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Dalton
Last Name
Hoskins
Member #

Just left the Jeep dealership where they said that I had a puncture in my side wall, and was told I had to buy a new tire. When I asked to see the side wall hole, the tech said that was about 1 inch from the edge, and thus could not be repaired, or if it was, then would not pass inspection.

It is a very small gauge nail that is causing the leak.

Is this correct about passing inspection? The puncture is about one inch from the edge.

The tire has about 15k on it.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
I sell and install tires for a living, I know for a fact, here in Canada at least that you cannot patch a hole that is half an inch from the tire sidewall.

Sent from my SM-G903W using OB Talk mobile app

TOMB

Local Expert Central Valley CA

Explorer I

Clovis Ca
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Butler
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6STB