Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army
Once again an off roader has been found deceased in their rig in Colorado. Recent injuries and worse could have been avoided. I am not arm chair quarter backing. The recommendation of never traveling alone and getting a knowledgeable spotter is critical. Many years ago, I was responsible for trauma rescue on cell towers. Like off roading, when a dangerous situation occurs, you have to establish communications and a plan that everyone understands. Not every person uses the same hand and arm signals or radio commands. If you are inexperienced, find a group and tag along. You may save a life some day and it could be your own.

Willy

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
This is also an issue with people with no experience, buying full locked and raised vehicles. The other day, a friend mentioned a bad rollover in a new bronco. Apparently he went up something he shouldn't have and rolled down killing everyone in the vehicle. It was a week old. A well moded vehicle will get you in trouble quick. I cant count the times I've seen this in the past. Fortunately I have only seen one death and a few injured.
A common comment is, how did my Jeep get stuck? It has lockers. What a POS.

Reactions: Willys Yella Jeep

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Once again an off roader has been found deceased in their rig in Colorado. Recent injuries and worse could have been avoided. I am not arm chair quarter backing. The recommendation of never traveling alone and getting a knowledgeable spotter is critical. Many years ago, I was responsible for trauma rescue on cell towers. Like off roading, when a dangerous situation occurs, you have to establish communications and a plan that everyone understands. Not every person uses the same hand and arm signals or radio commands. If you are inexperienced, find a group and tag along. You may save a life some day and it could be your own.

Willy
Any more infos on this?

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army
When I go alone I get kinda lonely and wish someone was with me. When I have friends come along I miss my lonely trips.
I truly understand. There are times when I'm peopled out. My solution, adjusting my route, let people know where I'm going and keeping my ham radio on. Plus my dog always comes along.

Willys Yella Jeep

Rank V

Builder I

Castle Rock, Colorado, United States
First Name
Willy
Last Name
Sommer
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF0CEO
Service Branch
Army

Willy
Any more infos on this?
Kebler Pass near Crested Butte. Vehicle spotted October 16 1pm approximately 100 feet down a scree slope impacted into tree.. A pretty good resource is OutThereColorado.

Lost-Again

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Texas
First Name
Lost
Last Name
Again
Member #

I truly understand. There are times when I'm peopled out. My solution, adjusting my route, let people know where I'm going and keeping my ham radio on. Plus my dog always comes along.
I have a garmin inreach mini. My wife and kids can track me and we can text back and forth. Comes in handy in BigBend Nat’l Park with no cell reception.

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I appreciate the OP's message here. Folks who like to drive, hike, hunt or anything else alone, do so for a reasons that we'll never know. All we can do is advise, or council or teach and hope they make responsible decisions. I got caught out twice in the Alps because of weather, and difficult routes. Friends and family knew the routes and the times and were ready to launch the ADAC chopper when I finally reached a phone. The good thing was I had a buddy, and folks knew where and when we would show up....supposedly. LOL.
Zim

Reactions: Willys Yella Jeep

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I have chosen on many occasions to travel alone, I like my own company. But it take a very serious mindset change from traveling in a group. Slower and more cautious sums it up, you need to be able at any point to say the road ends here.

Reactions: HYRYSC and Road