Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

Anyone have one?

Is it kitted out?

I'm going to b piecing things together to upgrade mine when I come back from my work related "vacation", and was wondering what others had done with there's, around here (if there are any).

I've been through a ton of other forums for 250's and 650's, but I'd rather have everything here in one basket.

Right planning for panniers, a way to not spend $700+

This bike, Snarler, is the accompanying vehicle to Gnasher! Pics later on. (Someday a truck will be added to the roster).

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I've lusted for a 650 for years, but never pulled the trigger. The older I get the more I think it's a better idea if perhaps I don't.

And then, there are times I thing, ah.... a 250 would be just fine for running errands, shooting down to the cabin, etc.....

I haven't had a bike for over 15 years, but they were very much a part of my life from my early teens exploring the unfenced Arizona desert.

One problem is, as I get older, I'm going to get shorter.............

Looking forward to seeing yours.

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

I've lusted for a 650 for years, but never pulled the trigger. The older I get the more I think it's a better idea if perhaps I don't.

And then, there are times I thing, ah.... a 250 would be just fine for running errands, shooting down to the cabin, etc.....

I haven't had a bike for over 15 years, but they were very much a part of my life from my early teens exploring the unfenced Arizona desert.

One problem is, as I get older, I'm going to get shorter.............

Looking forward to seeing yours.
I like the 250, it's just enough bike to get the job done. Ridiculously easy to maintain and operate.

I'll be away for about six months starting next week. Got plenty of time to figure out mods for it.

Wanting to put panniers on it, but don't want to spend $700+. Might throw some ammo cans on there!

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

Is Kawasaki continuing the 250 engine for the klr or are the replacing it with the new 300 engine?

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

Is Kawasaki continuing the 250 engine for the klr or are the replacing it with the new 300 engine?
As far as I know, they've discontinued production of the 250 itself.

However, components from the ATV KSF250 line are largely compatible with the KLR250.

You can get the 300 big bore kits installed on the 250.

BeardedOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Kingman, Arizona, United States
First Name
JASON
Last Name
SMITH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRUH443
I've had two of the KLR650's, I miss them both... Great bikes for doing a lot of different things. My last was an 02 bought new, used as a daily driver in So. California, and trips on the weekend, had it for 7 years and put 50k miles on it. Only had one bad day when the chain broke driving home on the freeway, at 2am. Very challenging with that 6 gal tank, gear and bag, when you hit loose sand! As far as the 250's my local dealer in No. Arizona had two 2015's in the showroom last I was there. However Kawasaki has discontinued the 250 this year. If something smaller and lighter interests you Suzuki has a 400 and 200 dualsport, great bikes both, and a lot lighter than the KLR's

Reactions: Gnasher_PNW

Gnasher_PNW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Graham, Washington
Member #

Here is, Snarler, my KLR250.
Twin color to Gnasher the Rover.
(Gnasher and Snarler are Thor's goats).
Twinsies-0079.jpg
Twinsies-0078.jpg

Only thing is...

I changed out my automatic cam chain tensioner, and installed a Krieger replacement, manual cam chain tensioner. It didn't rid me of the "ticking" "clacking" sound the top end/middle was producing. I had assumed it was a cam chain tensioner problem, but am beginning to think that it might be a worn cam lobe hitting a rocker arm or something.

Reactions: Arailt

AKopec

Rank I

Contributor III

Massachusetts, Stany Zjednoczone
First Name
Alexander
Last Name
Kopec
Hey all, having a problem with my 2003 250. The clutch engages, to my knowledge, goes into gear but the second I release the clutch it stalls. When it first happened it was stalling when it went in gear and I let the clutch out and it did a little lurch, with low oil. I did an oil change on it, still stalled, now no lurch. Pulled the case off, inspected the clutch, everything seems normal, spun the cage, the bike has all 6 gear with no resistance or grinding. I was wondering if it's the carb or the KACR system, any ideas? It's my first bike so I'm a bit out of my element here.