Kitchen usage question

• HTML tutorial

PaddyG

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

I know there is a thread on pictures. My question is how much do you use the trailer's kitchen? How important is the kitchen to your trips?

My rationale for this question is my choice between purchasing two manufacturers. One is a little pricey but has an awesome kitchen , great shower ability, more internal water capacity and big gear storage capacity. The other has awesome tent/annex/awnings is less expensive but less storage, kitchen is just so-so, much weaker shower system and less water storage.

Maybe another way to look at this is how important is the large tent annex and awnings? I already own two good pop up shelters for tailgating, and several tents. One pop up has attachable walls. All I need is to buy the bug screens.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
My guess is one is a Turtleback. What's the other one?

New kitchen with the Partner stove is great on the TB. I use my kitchen all the time along with a grill.

Turtleback with a Foxwing awning keeps the kitchen covered as well.

Bottom line if you like to cook you will use it. If you don't like to cook having a nice kitchen setup will change nothing.

PaddyG

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

My guess is one is a Turtleback. What's the other one?

New kitchen with the Partner stove is great on the TB. I use my kitchen all the time along with a grill.

Turtleback with a Foxwing awning keeps the kitchen covered as well.

Bottom line if you like to cook you will use it. If you don't like to cook having a nice kitchen setup will change nothing.
Nope the kitchen I like is The Base Camp. Name being changed because Airstream has objected to that name. They'll now be called Borderlands Trailers. Still owned by Mobilight. I will look at turleback again.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Nope the kitchen I like is The Base Camp. Name being changed because Airstream has objected to that name. They'll now be called Borderlands Trailers. Still owned by Mobilight. I will look at turleback again.
Not a bad design. Very Australian trailer-esque. I think the Turtleback gives you a bit more elbow room. Some folks love kitchens on the side vs the back. With the Turtleback there is a swing out with a table. You can use that table for prep or putting your grill on it. That makes the setup a bit more functional IMHO. No idea on pricing for the Borderland trailers as compared to a TB. Same rule applies. If you like to cook you will use it. If you don't you won't. Some folks are content with bag meals. I like to grill. A portable setup is perfectly acceptable as well. It just takes longer to setup and tear down.

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
My trailer just has a big shelf for a kitchen. I set up a water jug on one end and a stove on the other. and a big cutting board in between. It's CENTRAL to camp. Really important. Space is key. More important than features IMO.

-M

PaddyG

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

My trailer just has a big shelf for a kitchen. I set up a water jug on one end and a stove on the other. and a big cutting board in between. It's CENTRAL to camp. Really important. Space is key. More important than features IMO.

-M
Wolfe. Great point. Been so caught up looking at the goodies I might have gotten off track on what is important. Can always modify or add stuff as our journey progresses.

Besides. I have an older camp stove, I've got several portable grills. I have a set of inexpensive camp sinks....

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Besides. I have an older camp stove, I've got several portable grills. I have a set of inexpensive camp sinks....
While I use my sink I also use 3 tubs to do dishes to conserve water. Good point.

Bottom line these are convenience things Vs must haves.

RTT Vs Ground tent
Built in kitchen Vs individual pieces
Swing out with a table vs setting up a table
Etc

Having a great purpose built trailer saves time and makes my trips more enjoyable. None of it is required.