Kirkwood Day Overland Trip

• HTML tutorial

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Greetings!

We are going to camp out near Kirkwood, Silver Lake to be exact, next weekend. Was wondering if anyone had and trail recommendations in that area?

We are going to do a relaxing day at camp and The Tubs (a pretty epic rock slide rock jump rock pool area on the creek there) with the kids. But could do a day ride one day as well.

Did Deer Valley last week, it was kinda brutal for an overlander...

-M

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
Your did Deer valley? From blue lakes to Ebbet's pass? I thought it was closed. May have to make a run up that way.
It is technically closed now. and signed as such. There was some wrong info posted, and we went up and started in. A ranger came and put a sign up behind us and we continued on. I believe if you go out and back from Ebbetts that is OK. It's only closed through the meadow on the Blue Lakes side. Though it took us 9 hours to get that far...

Rubilocal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pollock Pines Ca
Member #

It is technically closed now. and signed as such. There was some wrong info posted, and we went up and started in. A ranger came and put a sign up behind us and we continued on. I believe if you go out and back from Ebbetts that is OK. It's only closed through the meadow on the Blue Lakes side. Though it took us 9 hours to get that far...
Thanks for the update. I ran it many years ago and it took about 3-4 hours I think. Mind you it was in a jeep rubicon and most of the trail was pretty easy. I guess it has gotten much harder.
Sorry to say I don't know many trails up near kirkwood. Baltic ridge runs parallel to Mormon Emigrant and is a good explore. There is also a fun little trail that runs from Red lake up over the ridge to Blue lakes. Not sure of the road numbers I could find them if you need. Great views from up on top!
Hope that is some help. Have a great time

Rubilocal

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Pollock Pines Ca
Member #

That Red Lake Blue Lake might be fun. I have seen that on the map.

-M
@Wolfy
Did you get a chance to try the red lake blue lakes road? I ended up in hope valley this weekend and got to run it. Took the daily driver but it was pretty fun. Hope you found somewhere to explore
S

Wolfy

Rank V

Advocate I

Reno
@Wolfy
Did you get a chance to try the red lake blue lakes road? I ended up in hope valley this weekend and got to run it. Took the daily driver but it was pretty fun. Hope you found somewhere to explore
S
We didn't do any driving that weekend, but we did do the Thunder Mountain trail on bicycles. That was hell of a climb!

I will check out the red lake trail for sure some time. Carson Pass area is our new favorite. So close to home and so much to do!

-M

Reactions: Rubilocal