Rank II

Enthusiast I

203 East Broadway Avenue, Pierre, South Dakota 57501, United States
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Wexler
Member #

Hey guys, I'm brand new here to the community, but thought I'd get started with a technical question if allowed?

I installed brand new King rear shocks on my 4runner. They were opened up and custom tuned by a company before they were shipped to me. I have had them on for a week and have done over 800 highway miles while on a trip this past weekend. I have crawled underneath many times to check for any signs of leaking and to retorque the lower bolts. Each time, I notice black rings on the shock shaft and a very thin film of oil sometimes...never any dripping oil or puddles though. I contacted both the company who tuned my shocks and King themselves, and both say this is normal as the shaft will always have a slight film and the rings are from the wiper seals doing their thing.

However, I just want to make sure it's not a leak in itself. I would think it is unlikely that two brand new shocks would have leaks, but Murphys Law always haunts me. Thanks everfor your input!

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I might believe the the manufacturer and the tuner before the rest of us. You do realize the shaft need to be lubed to operate. There were a lot of money but there are just shocks. They will most likely outlast your rig. King do have a rebuild department.

REVRUNR

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Craig
Last Name
Wexler
Member #

I might believe the the manufacturer and the tuner before the rest of us. You do realize the shaft need to be lubed to operate. There were a lot of money but there are just shocks. They will most likely outlast your rig. King do have a rebuild department.
Thanks. I do believe them and was just seeking any thoughts from members here as well. I have done a lot of offroading on ATVs and side x sides, but this is the first time with my daily driver and want to make sure.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Perfectly normal. Enjoy.

The shaft goes through the shock oil when it moves in. Some oil needs to stay on the shaft to lube the seals and prevent rust. The black ring is road dust. The seals push the dust down the shaft when it goes in, like a snow plow. Leaving a snow drift of dirt where the shaft stopped.

Eventually the seals will need replaced, and the oil changed. It might be fun to get the tools to service and tune your own shock. Want more weight transfer, remove a rebound shim. Want stiffer high speed compression, add a comp shim.

Reactions: EXPO_D1

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Seems normal to me, my ADS Racing stuff does the same thing. Like someone above said, the ring is just road dust. I would not worry about it, I reckon if your shock ever leaks, you'll know it.

Reactions: REVRUNR

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

You are cool. I understand your concern. I have melted 2 set of shocks, when they go it is impressive. Nothing like getting out of your rig and seeing a line of oil running behind you. I hope you never do.

Thanks. I do believe them and was just seeking any thoughts from members here as well. I have done a lot of offroading on ATVs and side x sides, but this is the first time with my daily driver and want to make sure.
[/QUOTE

REVRUNR

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Craig
Last Name
Wexler
Member #

Perfectly normal. Enjoy.

The shaft goes through the shock oil when it moves in. Some oil needs to stay on the shaft to lube the seals and prevent rust. The black ring is road dust. The seals push the dust down the shaft when it goes in, like a snow plow. Leaving a snow drift of dirt where the shaft stopped.

Eventually the seals will need replaced, and the oil changed. It might be fun to get the tools to service and tune your own shock. Want more weight transfer, remove a rebound shim. Want stiffer high speed compression, add a comp shim.
Thanks for the feedback. This is the first set of high end suspension I've purchased. Most vehicle shocks have shrouds that prevent us from seeing the shaft, so I figured I'd inquire about what I'm seeing on these open shafts. It sounds like I'm fine.

REVRUNR

Rank II

Enthusiast I

First Name
Craig
Last Name
Wexler
Member #

You are cool. I understand your concern. I have melted 2 set of shocks, when they go it is impressive. Nothing like getting out of your rig and seeing a line of oil running behind you. I hope you never do.

[/QUOTE
I hope not either!

Steward I

Nisku, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Westfall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
RamRunner78
Hello, welcome and yes I run king shocks and coil over struts and this is normal operation. I have had the first pair of rear shocks leaks due to rock pitting on the shaft, thank god I bought the extreme warranty from 4 wheel drive parts. They covered the replacement and I run full boots now without any issues of leaks.

Reactions: EXPO_D1