KG6ZJL's Build Thread: 2016 4Runner Trail

• HTML tutorial

kg6zjl

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Concord, CA
I owned an '88 4Runner for around a decade, and loved exploring every inch of California behind the wheel of that rig. When I sold it, it was bore'd and cam'd, SAS'd with dual cases and a twin-stick, sitting on 35" BFG KM's. Life changed and I sold it about 5 years ago. I spent many, many weeks living out of that rig, exploring and camping. I made some incredible memories and lifelong friends.

Out with the old:

And in with the new:

Fast forward to December of 2016, I'm now married with a 1yo son. We picked up our brand new '16 Trail and I am more than thrilled to be behind the wheel of a T4R again as my family and I continue exploring California. I strongly believe my son needs to grow up seeing and experiencing the types of things I was able to do with my last rig.

With less than 200 miles on the odometer, we were sitting on 275/70r17 BFG KO2's. And a month later we put in an order for a Gobi stealth rack that should be arriving very soon.

The build:
-2016 4Runner Trail with KDSS, A-TRAC, Rear E-Locker, Etc
-BFG KO2'S in 275/70r17
-Blue Sea Systems Fuse Panel
-Gobi Stealth Rack and Ladder
-CaliRaised LED bar for roof rack
-Icom 207H (2m/440)
-Midland CB

Future plans: Lots and lots of miles spent exploring! And maybe some armor :)

kg6zjl

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Concord, CA
Good luck on getting the Gobi rack soon. I ordered mine Jan. 2 and still nada.........great rig and grats...enjoy!!!!!
That is so frustrating. I ordered a couple weeks after you. I've been calling them every week and was told it would get to the shipping company this week.... Although I haven't been billed for it yet and the shipping co hasn't contacted me yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they ship them out soon!

kg6zjl

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Concord, CA
Working on my comm setup. Running my dual band ICOM 207h out of my old '88 4Runner. Antenna is mounted to the Gobi Ladder. The face is just resting there on the steering column. If I like it enough, I'll Velcro it in place.

Reactions: dj_mccomas

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I love your build. I need to get my HAM license, so I can be part of the cools kids club, and run in other spectrums. I'm stuck with just a CB today.

Reactions: kg6zjl

kg6zjl

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Concord, CA
Awning Mounted!

We're pinching our pennies right now, so I made a Gobi and Home Depot sandwich with a side of Superstrut. "It ain't pretty, but it's functional." And ridiculously strong. Mount cost was $40 including a ton of extra material.

Reactions: GSDforLife