Launch Member

Member I

Elizabethtown, KY
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Taylor
Member #

(Feel free to connect to existing threads if they exist)

KAT was Developed by Jeff Stoess and friends.
This is a 1000 mile loop (not counting the hard sections) around the hills and mountains of south eastern KY,TN,VA and WV. It is about 40% rural narrow twisty paved roads with the rest being gravel, dirt roads and trails for street legal Bikes and 4x4s.

http://annessky.net/kat/

FB group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/121845738390272

IMG_1790.JPG

From FB:
“It will take 5 full summer days of riding to complete the main loop. It will take 5-6 days if you take the hard sections. Some of these areas are very remote so do not go alone! The average distance between gas stops is around 60 miles. I have marked as waypoints the gas stations, food and hotels (there are others on the loop that I don't have marked).
This loop does go through some active coal mining areas but the roads are still open to the public. You may run into a situation where the road is shut down due to work or blasting. There will be a security guard and or signs, the guards that I have spoken with are very friendly and more than happy to tell you a way around.
As far as trucks go, the main loop can be done in fairly stock 4x4's but keep in mind there are sections with rocks, some mud, creek crossings and hills so I highly recommend that you have experience in these conditions and run an aggressive tire of at least 31". A rear locker would be very useful.
For the 4x4 hard sections, you will want aggressive tires, 31's will be ok if you have at least a rear locker. Recovery gear like a winch is highly recommended. There is a chance that you could receive body damage on these hard sections.
You may run into downed trees and creeks that may be too big or deep to cross. Any of these can be bypassed if you just scroll around on your GPS screen. A small saw or machete comes in handy for the small downed trees.
There are two versions of the KAT, one for motorcycles and one for 4x4s. See the files section to download the most current GPX tracks.
Be sure you get the appropriate file for the vehicle that you will be using. "KAT" for the bikes and "KAT 4x4" for the trucks Trying to get a truck through motorcycle only sections could cause serious damage to the trail and risk having it closed for good.

thanks,
Jeff Stoess”

Needless to say that with this and the #DBBB there is a lot to get out and explore!

I downloaded it and from Gaiai App seemed well put together.

Research I have so far, anybody out there done any part of this massive map.

TN_Tacosupreme

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Springfield, TN
Member #

(Feel free to connect to existing threads if they exist)

KAT was Developed by Jeff Stoess and friends.
This is a 1000 mile loop (not counting the hard sections) around the hills and mountains of south eastern KY,TN,VA and WV. It is about 40% rural narrow twisty paved roads with the rest being gravel, dirt roads and trails for street legal Bikes and 4x4s.

http://annessky.net/kat/

FB group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/121845738390272

View attachment 76118

From FB:
“It will take 5 full summer days of riding to complete the main loop. It will take 5-6 days if you take the hard sections. Some of these areas are very remote so do not go alone! The average distance between gas stops is around 60 miles. I have marked as waypoints the gas stations, food and hotels (there are others on the loop that I don't have marked).
This loop does go through some active coal mining areas but the roads are still open to the public. You may run into a situation where the road is shut down due to work or blasting. There will be a security guard and or signs, the guards that I have spoken with are very friendly and more than happy to tell you a way around.
As far as trucks go, the main loop can be done in fairly stock 4x4's but keep in mind there are sections with rocks, some mud, creek crossings and hills so I highly recommend that you have experience in these conditions and run an aggressive tire of at least 31". A rear locker would be very useful.
For the 4x4 hard sections, you will want aggressive tires, 31's will be ok if you have at least a rear locker. Recovery gear like a winch is highly recommended. There is a chance that you could receive body damage on these hard sections.
You may run into downed trees and creeks that may be too big or deep to cross. Any of these can be bypassed if you just scroll around on your GPS screen. A small saw or machete comes in handy for the small downed trees.
There are two versions of the KAT, one for motorcycles and one for 4x4s. See the files section to download the most current GPX tracks.
Be sure you get the appropriate file for the vehicle that you will be using. "KAT" for the bikes and "KAT 4x4" for the trucks Trying to get a truck through motorcycle only sections could cause serious damage to the trail and risk having it closed for good.

thanks,
Jeff Stoess”

Needless to say that with this and the #DBBB there is a lot to get out and explore!

I downloaded it and from Gaiai App seemed well put together.

Research I have so far, anybody out there done any part of this massive map.
We put a group together this September of about 12 rigs and did 3 days worth of the KAT. Started in the Big South Fork area and up west loop towards Cumberland Falls Park. Had plans on camping night #1 at the abandoned mine but once we got there it was way to sketchy, broken bottles, nails etc etc., cool to check out but not camp. We found S-Tree campground to be a really great alternative, semi-primitive and super clean. Spent most of the next day traversing the hard trails and wallowing through the mud holes. Had some locals show us some campsite options on top of a Mountain south of Harlan where we spent night #2. Woke up to a cold rainy morning so we explored trails on Black Mountain and cut the day short. Overall a good time but for the most scenic section I’d say take the east loop. Would like to plan another shot and hit the upper section towards Red River Gorge sometime.

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

I imagine this would be an exciting and very diverse route. Basically something new each day. Added to the list. Man I love KY

Reactions: RevJackDaniel

RaD Overlanding

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Ohio, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Kwapich
Is there a direction posted for traveling the trail? I dont want to get on the trail and travel in the wrong direction.

Thanks for the info,
Rick