Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

The bubba looks nice, but very large (in that last picture anyway). What is that one rated for? I kinda want something with more stretch, but not if its going to be huge.

Traveler I

usa
The bubba looks nice, but very large (in that last picture anyway). What is that one rated for? I kinda want something with more stretch, but not if its going to be huge.
You want your recovery gear to be rated 3-4 times your vehicles weight

Pick the correct recovery method -
Kinetic rope ~30% stretch
Kinetic strap ~20% stretch
Tow strap O stretch

I carry all of the above and keep the Yellow tow strap (see below) and a D ring available for quick access. Normally time is not critical when a Kinetic's are needed.

asset.jpg

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

You want your recovery gear to be rated 3-4 times your vehicles weight

Pick the correct recovery method -
Kinetic rope ~30% stretch
Kinetic strap ~20% stretch
Tow strap O stretch

I carry all of the above and keep the Yellow tow strap (see below) and a D ring available for quick access. Normally time is not critical when a Kinetic's are needed.

View attachment 29014
I love those side opening windows. I wish someone would make a conversion for the rear side glass on the LR3/LR4. I have a rugged ridge tow strap. It doesn't have any give. I also have the standard metal shackles. I'll put some things on my xmas list. :D

Reactions: LandCruiserPhil

18JLU

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Pueblo, CO
First Name
Justin
Last Name
DeCesaro
Member #

I've got a bubba rope and a soft shackle. I have yet to use them but the construction is top notch.

It's bigger than my 1 year old daughter!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
What's the best length to start with? I was thinking 30 cause I could double it if I really had to.

titicaca

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Calgary
I need help deciding on the diameter, should it be 3/4” or 7/8”?

I have a 4-door Jeep Wrangle has with gross weight of 5700lb. My friends drive a 4runner , so a bit heavier, 6300lb, and lots of folks around with pickup trucks, if that is a consideration.

So going x3 to x4 the weight as a rule of thumb on rated, given that 3/4” and 7/8” has typical a breaking strength of 19,000 lbs. and 28,600 lbs respectively, so seem like the Jeep is on the margin of this decision. With the dynamic effects of ropes, to benefit from the stretch, you want to be right-sized and not simply go with “bigger is better”. These things are bulky too, so a 3/4” takes less room. It will cost a bit less (I know that should not be a consideration).

Bubba recommends the 3/4” Renegade for Jeeps.
https://www.bubbarope.com/recovery-ropes
Which Bubba Rope do I need?
There is no official working load limit on using Power Stretch Recovery Ropes. However, from thousands of successful recoveries we recommend that the best method in selecting the right rope is by multiplying the weight of the stuck vehicle by 3.5 or 4 times and then selecting the rope that has a breaking strength that is equal to or higher than that number. For example: if you are going to be recovering vehicles similar in size to a Jeep which weighs approximately 4,000 to 5,000 lbs. our Renegade Bubba Rope with a breaking strength of 19,000 lbs. would be perfect for that application. Similarly, half-ton pickups that usually weigh around 6,000 lbs. the best fit would be our Original Bubba with a breaking strength of 28,600 lbs.

Interesting that ASR recommends the 7/8” and specifically discourages going down a size, “We do not recommend decreasing the diameter for lighter environmental conditions.”
http://asroffroad.com/kinetic-recovery-rope-info-and-usage/

Daystar 3/4" has a much higher 24,500lbs breaking strength, interesting. And you get different length, in-between, 25’ length instead of typical 20’ or 30’.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/daystar/34-kinetic-recovery-rope

Anyway, what do you think?

Reactions: Desert Runner