Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Coffee cans.

Seriously, coffee cans (or something similar) are great for organizing miscellaneous parts. My grandfather used them most of his life and my dad an I picked it up from him. I take some masking tape and label each can: bolts, nuts, washers, machine screws, wood screws, misc faucet, rubber bands.... you get the idea.

They are stackable on a shelf and free up a lot of space. Any time I buy something, it seems like they provide one or two extra pieces that I can drop in the cans. The setup ends up saving me a lot of time and money because, when I need fastener or bolt, I usually have something that will work in the coffee cans. Any trip to the hardware store I can avoid is a good thing.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

agent00111

Rank II

Enthusiast I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Lau
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VWP
I think rig organization is something I'm always working on. I've read Marie Kondo's book, and I officially can fold underwear now.
The best way for me to organize my jeep is to get out on as many trips as possible and when I get home, write down a list of things that were NOT well organized and work on that for my next trip.

Some things I've picked up over time, in no particular order, and just top of mind stuff:
1. if you're packing tools, a soft tool bag that rolls up is a great way to reduce space and keep tools organized. I have a bucket boss tool roll (home depot) that does the trick. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the Blue Ridge tool bag: Tool Bag
2. I organize things into kits that are organized by function: first aid kit, toiletry kit, poop kit, medicine/toiletries for my kids, etc. I try to keep as much in my jeep at all times to reduce the amount of packing/unpacking.
3. First aid kit should be easiest to get to, and well marked. Fire extinguisher should also be easy to get to, especially in relation to where you are cooking.
4. I tend to have things set up to quickly get to water and to boil water quickly. My day doesn't really start until I get to my first coffee.
5. Always have a place for trash (trasharoo or other outside trash bag, cabin trash bag, etc).
6. I have a roof top tent so I like to keep my clothes and anything else I want to bring up into the RTT in one bag (books, pen/paper, lights, etc).

But more practically, while at Overland Expo I got some great tips from Dan Grec (www.theroadchoseme.com):
1. Always make sure the things you use most often are easiest to get to. For example: Dan keeps sunscreen under/by drivers side seat so it's always there when getting in and out. Recovery gear that's not often used can be packed in a bit, lower and less accessible if you're not planning on using it frequently, YMMV. Water is something you will use very frequently so it should be easy to get to.
2. Only bring what you really need and will use. (If it's not safety/recover gear and you continue to not use something, evaluate if it should keep going out on trips with you. )
3. Be mindful of where the weight is on your vehicle, store heavy tools that you won't use often as low as possible in your jeep to keep the center of gravity down load.

Lastly, I'm always interested in meeting other overlanders and seeing how they organize things. I've never met a more open and friendly group of folk, and there's so much to learn just by meeting up with others and comparing set ups and what works and what doesn't.

I'm sure others will chime in with some time proven tips as well.

Hope that helps!

Jason

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I have a lot of hardware in coffee cans, but what I am finding I like even better is clear plastic containers such as peanut butter or mayo comes in. They have the immediate advantage of being transparent so you don't necessarily have to label them. Their lids are much less likely to come off and they won't rust. The only challenge may be size, but that is where the Costco Mayo comes in.

Another thing I do to keep things organized is use ziploc bags. I keep the ziploc bags that come along with some retail products, and those, plus the common snack/sandwich/quart and gallon bags get me a good selection to work from when it comes time to bag something up. And it isn't just a matter of bagging up lots of little things. I find ziploc bags are a great tool for keeping ratchet straps and wired winch controls in a state of tidyness. I hate trying to extract one ratchet strap from a snarl of several. I am sure the same gremlins who tangle up Christmas lights are the ones who get into ratchet straps. If I ever catch one of them I will put him in a ziploc bag too.