Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

Australia is a very big place and outside of the main population centres it is very remote and unforgiving.

So far this year I believe that we have had 5 people die in remote country from either vehicle breakdowns or boggins and they have run out of water and died of thirst and the lastest was just yesterday :cry:

This is very sad and condolences to his family. Remember to take plenty of water and have some sort of remote communication device to signal for assistance if you need it a basic PLB is only $300 - surely your life or that of a loved one is worth that much.

Plus, always let someone know where you are going and when you expected to get there and if you get in trouble, always stay with your vehicle as it is easier to find than a body.

If you are coming to our country and intend to go in remote areas seek lots of advice and do your research - Australia is a big country and most of the population live near the coastline so once you start heading inland you are going into remote and unforgiving country.

Karl

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
I dont know much about austrailia, but I think the general guidelines still apply, I happen to work at an air base with a search and rescue outfit.

• Tell people where youre going and how long you expect to be. A little map or GRID reference will help SAR folks to find you.
  • Always bring basics on the trail. Food, and water. For shelter unless you roll her over the cab will do in a desperate occasion.
  • Something big that isnt the same colour as the area youre in. I personally have a 4x4 emergency blanket in hot rescue orange. Strap it to the roof so you can be seen.
  • Bring coms, other then the cell phone. As far as I know in most countries there is no legal backlash if you use a radio in an emergency. I keep a Standard Horizon HX417s handheld charged up in the truck Its got FRS, marine and a distress button under a cover. Sure, I have the mounted radio, but thats useless should you end up snapping an antenna.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Its not just in australia in the states we have quite a few folks go missing in national parks and forrests that are never found, likely bear food

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
A very sad event, that was completely preventable.
Go prepared for the worse possible situation.
At the very least a cheap sat phone should be part of the kit in remote areas.

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

I dont know much about austrailia, but I think the general guidelines still apply, I happen to work at an air base with a search and rescue outfit.

• Tell people where youre going and how long you expect to be. A little map or GRID reference will help SAR folks to find you.
  • Always bring basics on the trail. Food, and water. For shelter unless you roll her over the cab will do in a desperate occasion.
  • Something big that isnt the same colour as the area youre in. I personally have a 4x4 emergency blanket in hot rescue orange. Strap it to the roof so you can be seen.
  • Bring coms, other then the cell phone. As far as I know in most countries there is no legal backlash if you use a radio in an emergency. I keep a Standard Horizon HX417s handheld charged up in the truck Its got FRS, marine and a distress button under a cover. Sure, I have the mounted radio, but thats useless should you end up snapping an antenna.
Pretty much the same here in Australia - the main one is to never leave your vehicle as it is easier to find than a body.

So far this year we have had about six deaths because of similar situations :disappointed::disappointed::disappointed:

Karl

Plasmajab

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Quinte West, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Ian
Last Name
Howard
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VA3IRA
Happens often here in the great white north. Someone will spin out land in the ditch during winter. They find the car, and usually the body sevral klicks away...