First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Hi Charles.

I look forward to meeting the group and your plans look great.

I drive a Subaru Outback with a 2” lift + BFG KO2’s. Will this make the run? If not, I have an option to borrow a friends stock Xterra 4x4 but would really like to take my Outback.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: jxmkhn

jxmkhn

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles
Member #

5160 Cherry Ave, San Jose, CA 95118

Is this the address for the AM group to be meeting at? I will be coming from Los Angeles

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Hi Charles.

I drive a Subaru Outback with a 2” lift + BFG KO2’s. Will this make the run? If not, I have an option to borrow a friends stock Xterra 4x4 but would really like to take my Outback.

Thanks!
Liana,
I do not have the GPS file that Charlie is planning the route from, but if it is the same as the route taken at last years off the grid rally there was an outback that was stopped by the first gatekeeper and it could not make it through. That said, I am not sure if it was lifted etc, nor did I see the attempt at making it through, so it is hard to say how yours would do.

The route we took is fairly relaxed 95% of the time as long as you run the bypasses, but had a few places that would test the limits of that vehicle I think. I would wait for Charlie to confirm however.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liana Lehua

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Hi Charles.

Thanks!
Liana,
For further reference, here is a post on the subaru forester forum from OB member @FozRoamer, whom has a VERY built 3rd gen Foz who did the run last year.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f102/bald-mountain-ca-4x4-offroad-trail-628426/

Below is a video he took during the run, should give some perspective for you.

Bad Donkey

Rank III

Influencer II

Scotts Valley, California
Member #

Hi Charles.

Thanks!
HI Liana,

Sorry for the slow response - for some reason I wasn't getting the email alerts from OB that there were new messages, so I just saw this. This trip is rated EASY but an Outback may have some challenges getting up to Bald Mountain because of the short clearance. I ran it last year in a stock 4runner and it was a challenging at points, so I would say borrow the Xterra.

See you there!
Charlie

Bad Donkey

Rank III

Influencer II

Scotts Valley, California
Member #

OK everyone! We are one week out from the trip, so everyone please check in with a comment and confirm you are still coming. Also let us know: 1) what group you will be rolling with (AM or PM), 2) your cell phone number for comms, and 3) your preference for trail difficulty - we may split the group up into an easy/moderate group (Bald Mtn) and a medium/hard group (Strawberry Lake or Brewer Lake), depending on interest.

Remember that departure times are hard - don't expect everyone to wait if you are late. Show up on time, gassed up and ready for adventure!

Cheers,
Charlie

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Charles,
1) Jon party of 5 is in...my group will arrive at Badger Flat around 2 on our own, coming from Sequoias; will text AM folk
2) My cell is (407) 748-7317 and I have a CB radio
3) Prefer Bald Mtn, lunch at the top, and then hike the mile for hot springs and more importantly, cliff jumping!
If not enough interest in Bald Mtn, then I'd choose Strawberry Lake (on my to-do-trail list).
4) I'll have your $10 for the campsite...thanks for setting that up.
Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks for setting this up.
-Jon

Dan Tracy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Watsonville, Ca
Member #

FYI - I have not been getting the email notices on this. I had to search through my emails to find this.
I am planning to go with the morning group. I have a handheld CB.
MY cell # - 831-234-1839..
I’m driving a 4x4 Sprinter Van so trail difficulty needs to be easy, or I could ride along with someone who has an empty seat.

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Southern California, CA, USA
First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Liana,
I do not have the GPS file that Charlie is planning the route from, but if it is the same as the route taken at last years off the grid rally there was an outback that was stopped by the first gatekeeper and it could not make it through. That said, I am not sure if it was lifted etc, nor did I see the attempt at making it through, so it is hard to say how yours would do.

The route we took is fairly relaxed 95% of the time as long as you run the bypasses, but had a few places that would test the limits of that vehicle I think. I would wait for Charlie to confirm however.
Thank you.

Liana Lehua | OB#8969
Southern California

2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Anderson Design Fabrication 2” Lift
17” Black Rhino Boxer Wheels
245/65R17 BF Goodrich KO2’s
LP Aventure Canister Filter Bypass
Wilco Offroad Hitchgate Solo Hi-Clearance Spare Tire Carrier
Ecohitch Class III Trailer Hitch
Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
HI Liana,

Sorry for the slow response - for some reason I wasn't getting the email alerts from OB that there were new messages, so I just saw this. This trip is rated EASY but an Outback may have some challenges getting up to Bald Mountain because of the short clearance. I ran it last year in a stock 4runner and it was a challenging at points, so I would say borrow the Xterra.

See you there!
Charlie
No worries. Thank you. I will make a decision by end of day today (Sun., 6/24).

Liana Lehua | OB#8969
Southern California

jxmkhn

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles
Member #

I will be leaving very early Friday morning from Riverside area so planning on leaving with the AM group. Will get in contact with the morning group in a bit once I have finalized plans and such. This will be my first experience with a group so I would prefer a moderate difficulty.

Cell: (213) 407 - 7519 James

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Liana,
For further reference, here is a post on the subaru forester forum from OB member @FozRoamer, whom has a VERY built 3rd gen Foz who did the run last year.
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f102/bald-mountain-ca-4x4-offroad-trail-628426/

Below is a video he took during the run, should give some perspective for you.

Thanks, Charles. I messaged Harley (FozRoamer) to get some info. My vehicle is good to go except that he recommended I'd need a spotter in 2 spots that were the most difficult. Is it likely there could be some spotting assistance?

Emmanuel Mendoza

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Watsonville ca
Member #

I will be leaving very early Friday morning from Riverside area so planning on leaving with the AM group. Will get in contact with the morning group in a bit once I have finalized plans and such. This will be my first experience with a group so I would prefer a moderate difficulty.

Cell: (213) 407 - 7519 James

James why not meet the am group off of hwy 99 Instead of driving all the way to the bay? It’ll save you a couple hrs

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Thanks, Charles. I messaged Harley (FozRoamer) to get some info. My vehicle is good to go except that he recommended I'd need a spotter in 2 spots that were the most difficult. Is it likely there could be some spotting assistance?
Liana,
I am sure we can help spot you through. I admire your desire to go for it in the outback, but would like to mention that I agree with Charlie that this is going to challenge your vehicle. There will be at least a high probability of trail damage.

We have enough recovery gear to hook your car up if it gets stuck, or needs to be pulled through an obstacle but I just want to make sure you are prepared for the potential of undercarriage damage considering you have no skid plates etc. and a damaged oil pan is not something a tow strap can assist.

Just a little food for thought, it could be worth running it once with the Xterra and seeing for yourself before committing the Subaru to the task, and if not make sure you enter the trail with the right mindset.

Thanks!
-Nate

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
I’m going to back out of this trip this time around. When I can bring a spotter along, I’ll make the trip. :)

Thanks everyone. Have a great time!

Liana Lehua | OB#8969
Southern California

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

FYI - I have not been getting the email notices on this. I had to search through my emails to find this.
I am planning to go with the morning group. I have a handheld CB.
MY cell # - 831-234-1839..
I’m driving a 4x4 Sprinter Van so trail difficulty needs to be easy, or I could ride along with someone who has an empty seat.
Dan,
Hopping in the passenger seat for the ride up Bald Mtn is the best plan for your rig. I am sure we can find an empty seat for ya!

Thanks,
Nate

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I’m going to back out of this trip this time around. When I can bring a spotter along, I’ll make the trip. :)

Thanks everyone. Have a great time!
Liana,

Totally understandable. Hope you can find some camping close by so you still get a weekend outdoors! (considering you are so-cal, a large portion of the Mojave road could be done with your car and is really awesome, just HOT).

Thanks,
Nate

Liana Lehua

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Liana
Last Name
Lehua
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N6WH
Liana,

Totally understandable. Hope you can find some camping close by so you still get a weekend outdoors! (considering you are so-cal, a large portion of the Mojave road could be done with your car and is really awesome, just HOT).

Thanks,
Nate
Thanks so much, Nate. I appreciate it.

I’m conscious of adding stress on the experiences of others. While I’m a competent driver, I don’t want anyone else to stress over whether I’ll get stuck or not. ;)

Have a great run, all!

Liana Lehua | OB#8969
Southern California