Kaiser Pass Run - 06/29/2018

• HTML tutorial

Bad Donkey

Rank III

Influencer II

Scotts Valley, California
Member #

OK, couple of questions for the group.

1. Departure. When does everyone want to leave? I can't leave the Santa Cruz area till about 6:30 PM on Friday June 29. Should we have two caravans, depending on people's schedules, or just all leave Friday at 6:30? That would put us in camp around 11 PM.

2. Camping. We can shoot for dispersed camping along Rock Creek Road near Shaver Lake. Every time I've been there, there is plenty of spots but absolutely no facilities. (This is where it would be helpful to have a group leave earlier on Friday, so they can be sure to snag us a spot). If people are uncomfortable with the idea of risking dispersed camping, we can book the group side at Badger Flats. It accommodates up to 50 people, and is available Friday night for $310. I'm happy to front it, and then everyone can kick in on arrival. We've got 30ish going so we're talking like $10 per person.

3. Route. I'm thinking we do Bald Mountain in one of two routes. If we are in dispersed camping at Rock Creek, we go up Bald Mountain and down the other side toward Huntington Lake, and go up the Kaiser Pass Road to Mono Hot Springs for the night. If we are at the group campground at Badger Flats, we can go south to Bald Mtn, return the same way, and then head up to Mono Hot Springs. Either way, we end up in dispersed camping near Mono Hot Springs Saturday night, where we can enjoy some grub, natural hot springs, and adult beverages. Sunday morning, people can do what they want - we might hike up to Doris Lake, which is fed by hot springs and great for swimming - or we can do the 4x4 road to Brewer Lake. There are other, more challenging trails in the area if people want to do that too. In the afternoon, people can break for home as needed, or hang out for another day and do some more trails.

Does this sound like a semi decent plan? Sound off, let me know your thoughts.

~Bad Donkey

Reactions: jxmkhn

DieselAPS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
Andreas
Last Name
Schultz
Member #

I talked my wife into taking Friday off, so we're happy to leave mid-morning Friday. Our camping setup takes about 1/2 hour, so I'd rather do it in daylight. If anyone else wants to leave earlier, so we can get a convoy going. We're leaving from Redwood City.

Dispersed is fine. Reserved is fine, too. Badger Flats might be better if we end up rolling in at various times, especially if it gets late.

Don't care about the route. Lead and I will follow! I'm excited to be heading' out, and this will be new territory for us, so I'm up for anything.

Also, now that we have a group, we should make these plans with the Conversation button and have everyone in on it.

Reactions: jxmkhn

Bad Donkey

Rank III

Influencer II

Member #

I talked my wife into taking Friday off, so we're happy to leave mid-morning Friday. Our camping setup takes about 1/2 hour, so I'd rather do it in daylight. If anyone else wants to leave earlier, so we can get a convoy going. We're leaving from Redwood City.

Dispersed is fine. Reserved is fine, too. Badger Flats might be better if we end up rolling in at various times, especially if it gets late.

Don't care about the route. Lead and I will follow! I'm excited to be heading' out, and this will be new territory for us, so I'm up for anything.

Also, now that we have a group, we should make these plans with the Conversation button and have everyone in on it.
The 'start a conversation' button above seems to just send me a message, so I thought we were better off posting comments. Is everyone getting an email notification about these comments? I am new to this system so suggestions/info welcome!

Drftsub

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

The wife and I were planning on heading up early on Friday, so we can lead if anyone else wants to go up early.

Otherwise we will run up there and poke around and meet up when everyone arrives.

Lastly, I am game for dispersed or the group spot

jxmkhn

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Los Angeles
Member #

Not sure if I am included in this run although I did opt in interest in earlier comments. But if I am, I can leave anytime on Friday and down to do whatever works for everyone

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

I usually prefer dispersed camping. I’ll be staying in sequoias and Sierras that week, so I’ll meet up with others earlier in the day Friday. For the dispersed campsites, It would help if someone could post approximate coordinates or kml/gpx file or some reference.

I think Bald MT trail is a great idea with lunch at top.

Is there a fishing point near our campsite?

Sounds fun, the boys and I are looking forward to it

Reactions: Emmanuel Mendoza

Bad Donkey

Rank III

Influencer II

Member #

I usually prefer dispersed camping. I’ll be staying in sequoias and Sierras that week, so I’ll meet up with others earlier in the day Friday. For the dispersed campsites, It would help if someone could post approximate coordinates or kml/gpx file or some reference.

I think Bald MT trail is a great idea with lunch at top.

Is there a fishing point near our campsite?

Sounds fun, the boys and I are looking forward to it
Hey Jazzy13, we are discussing either dispersed camping off Rock Creek Road (approx 37.070057, -119.180659) or the Badger Flat Campground near Huntington Lake (37.269278, -119.115575) for Friday night. For Saturday night, we would be in dispersed camping near Jackass Meadows, (37.279669, -118.963629).

youpers

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Selva Beach, CA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Brunetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSQ
I can leave whenever, but earlier the better so we dont have to setup camp in the dark.

Also my vote is for dispersed camping. I try to avoid camp grounds but I will concede to the majority vote of the group.

Arepas

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

USA
Member #

So, I dont think I will be able to make it but being a noob, what would be the minimun requirements for a rig for this run?

Bad Donkey

Rank III

Influencer II

Member #

This particular run is full but generally we will have activities for all, divided up by skill level and rig build. If you are totally stock you might look into rock sliders, a front skid plate, and a lift kit - that will get you through any run we will make!

Reactions: Kent R

youpers

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Selva Beach, CA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Brunetti
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSQ
Hey all! The RSVP button now works. make sure you click on 'details' to view all the information for this run. ~Charlie
Hi Charles, any news on the plan for meeting up to drive out? Do we plan on caravaning?