Rank III

Enthusiast III

la mirada ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Chavez
Member #

Looking for some feedback or thoughts on whether or not this type of vehicle is so.ething to get stsrted in.
1979 Gmc High Sierra
400small block less than 3000 miles
Dana 60 front and rear.
Tubro 400.
drive train in out standing condition. Only draw back is carburerated..doesnt do well in high elevation.
Im just getting my feet wet, but would really like to test myself and the rig.

Sent from my SM-N950U using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: MazeVX

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Holley made a truck card that worked on angles. Very capable rig with lots of upgrade options. Detroit truetrac in rear and full locker in front and rock slides. Great base to start with. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: Chingon Granpa

ohiowrangler

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Newark, Oh
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Darling
Member #

It's a fine vehicle for off road and camping. I've had a couple of blazers, You should be aware of overall weight, it's not a light vehicle to start with. I run a Quadrajet on my jeep, with problems in certain conditions. Ron

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

It's a fine vehicle for off road and camping. I've had a couple of blazers, You should be aware of overall weight, it's not a light vehicle to start with. I run a Quadrajet on my jeep, with problems in certain conditions. Ron
My first vehicle in the USA was my 1997 f350 crew cab flatbed, it is big on some trails.

Chingon Granpa

Rank III

Enthusiast III

la mirada ca
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Chavez
Member #

Thanks for all the advice. Dont know why i just received notifications regarding your comments this morning...
I went out this past week and the truck stalled several time on a same steep incline. Truck shuts off, i have no steering, and of course no brake buster. This actually put me sideways on the hill as i tried to roll back down the hill. Not cool!

Reactions: Graeman

DanW

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Danville, Indiana
Member #

We need some pics! You could go with that Holley or I'm sure there are dozens of aftermarket fuel injection kits for that engine. They'd probably liven it up a bit, too.

wildweaselmi

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Davison, MI
First Name
Cowboy
Last Name
Denny
Service Branch
Air Force
i changed my 220hp 350 for a crate 383 stroker and then added the Holly Fuel Injection and have zero issues BUT if I did it again I would of dropped an LS motor in.
Dana 60 front
GM 14 bolt rear
ARB front and rear (wish i just did it rear and did eLocker in front when compressor fails i still would have a locker)
currently swapping out the 700R4 crap for 4L60e trans (would of loved to do a stronger 4L80e trans but need to spend more money on all the mods, with the 60 trans it’s way less expensive swap).

Now trying to figure out how to pack for a 7 day trip just using space between rear seat and front seats. far back is reserved for doggies.

Attachments

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Thanks for all the advice. Dont know why i just received notifications regarding your comments this morning...
I went out this past week and the truck stalled several time on a same steep incline. Truck shuts off, i have no steering, and of course no brake buster. This actually put me sideways on the hill as i tried to roll back down the hill. Not cool!
Look into a fuel injection upgrade like holley sniper or something similar, it's not old-school but definitely gets rid of some problems.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
Only thing I would keep an eye on is cooling system maintenance. The 400SB had siamese cylinders meaning coolant doesn't flow between, this leads to a tendency to overheat when run hard or when fuel mixture goes too lean.

I wouldn't worry much about carburation. I have run carbs a lot and a well tuned carb will be fine from sea level up to 5K feet with zero issues. I have stretched it up to 7K feet and did start having some loading issues, but I was able to get by. Mind you this was with a Webber 32/36 on an Isuzu 1.8L, which was too much carb for the engine even at sea level, lol. If you intend to go higher than that and don't want to go for fuel injection, running a single low boost turbo is a great solution. GM did this with the early 8.2L diesels, a turbo running 5psi allowed them to go up to 10K feet with no issues. They called it an "altitude compensator".

Also from the looks of the pictures your K5 seems to be running a Dana 44front and a GM 10.5" out back. Hard to tell for sure without a picture of the front hubs and the rear differential though.

To add: What kind of carb are you running? From my experience the worst off camber carbs are Holleys (the truck carb isn't much better, from what I have seen it puts you on par with an Edelbrock as far as off camber ability), better is Edelbrock/ Carter and the best all around carbs once dialed are Quadrajets. The old Qjet can be a bear to get set up but once it is its the best all around performer in my experience. Lots of my full sized buddies ditched the aftermarket carbs for the Qjet and they do a lot of rock crawling, so off camber is a way of life, lol.

Last edited:

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Only thing I would keep an eye on is cooling system maintenance. The 400SB had siamese cylinders meaning coolant doesn't flow between, this leads to a tendency to overheat when run hard or when fuel mixture goes too lean.

I wouldn't worry much about carburation. I have run carbs a lot and a well tuned carb will be fine from sea level up to 5K feet with zero issues. I have stretched it up to 7K feet and did start having some loading issues, but I was able to get by. Mind you this was with a Webber 32/36 on an Isuzu 1.8L, which was too much carb for the engine even at sea level, lol. If you intend to go higher than that and don't want to go for fuel injection, running a single low boost turbo is a great solution. GM did this with the early 8.2L diesels, a turbo running 5psi allowed them to go up to 10K feet with no issues. They called it an "altitude compensator".

Also from the looks of the pictures your K5 seems to be running a Dana 44front and a GM 10.5" out back. Hard to tell for sure without a picture of the front hubs and the rear differential though.

To add: What kind of carb are you running? From my experience the worst off camber carbs are Holleys (the truck carb isn't much better, from what I have seen it puts you on par with an Edelbrock as far as off camber ability), better is Edelbrock/ Carter and the best all around carbs once dialed are Quadrajets. The old Qjet can be a bear to get set up but once it is its the best all around performer in my experience. Lots of my full sized buddies ditched the aftermarket carbs for the Qjet and they do a lot of rock crawling, so off camber is a way of life, lol.
All SBC's have "Siamesed" cylinders, not just 400s. To say that coolant doesn't flow between the center cylinders is pretty inaccurate. There are cooling jackets around all of the cylinders and around every port in the head, here's a cutaway showing that:

1675185991672.png

What "Siamesed" means WRT the SBC is that the center two cylinders have their exhaust ports next to each other (note the "red" ports in the cutaway are exhaust, blue are intake). People really make that out to be more of an issue than it is. Yes, it does create the possibility of a bit of a hot-spot in the very center of the head, but this has little/no impact on overall engine cooling. What it DOES impact is the potential for detonation in the center cylinders, but especially in carb'ed applications the intake manifold design tends to lead to those cylinders being a bit richer anyway. That's not to say SBCs don't have cooling issues at times, but it has nothing to do with the intake/exhaust port layout of the heads.

Also, looking at the OP's pics I see 8-lug axles (and what appears to be a full floater in the rear), that rules out a 10-bolt rear. I assume you meant 10-bolt, not 10.5". The 10-bolt had a 8.5" ring gear, even the 12-bolt was a 8.875" ring gear and wasn't a full floater. The Corporate 14 did have a 10.5" ring gear, but I've never heard anybody call it a "GM 10.5 inch" rear. That said, it obviously is 8 lug and full-floater, so maybe that's what you meant? Either way the OP said it has D60s front/rear - and the rear 60 was available full-float so that seems to be the case here.

As for the OP's carb issue, I'd convert it to EFI. It's just too easy these days, with kits that replace your carb with a throttle body and injectors on your current manifold and are self-learning/tuning. As others have said, IF the motor itself isn't healthy then an LS-swap might be a much better plan, but if the current 400 is happy I'd just swap in a Holley EFI setup and call it a day.

-TJ

Reactions: MazeVX

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I had a 76 Blazer with the SBC400/TH400 combo back in the 90's until about '01. I could let off the gas until stopped on a steep incline with marble gravel, and ease back on the throttle and get moving without ever spinning a tire. It was the smoothest factory carbureted setup I have ever had. Wish I still had it. Only sold it at the time to pay rent during the dot com crash, desperate times required desperate measures.

It was stock as can be, ran smooth as can be, and I never stalled it on inclines/declines with the factory quadrajet. The radiator was massive, it never ran hot even when creeping offroad in 100+ degree weather, low range, AC on.
The Siamese cylinders are not the concern, it is the head gasket between cylinders holding up since the cylinders are very close together and there isn't a lot of gasket there. That concerned the hot rod guys upping compression, rpm, power, and pure abuse and the myth spread. A stock or near stock 400, not tortured overly hot, is SOLID. You would have to abuse it pretty bad to have any issue with a blown head gasket.

Just get ready for 8-10 mpg and filling the 31 gallon tank often. And I had to use premium when I knew I'd be pushing it in hot weather to keep the pings away.

Tried Holley "offroad' carb and the Edelbrock on a full size Jeep V8 years later. Nope. Went to EFI after paying for it twice over trying and tuning multiple carbs. So a good quadrajet or EFI are the only options I consider now for offroad.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
All SBC's have "Siamesed" cylinders, not just 400s. To say that coolant doesn't flow between the center cylinders is pretty inaccurate. There are cooling jackets around all of the cylinders and around every port in the head, here's a cutaway showing that:

View attachment 249223

What "Siamesed" means WRT the SBC is that the center two cylinders have their exhaust ports next to each other (note the "red" ports in the cutaway are exhaust, blue are intake). People really make that out to be more of an issue than it is. Yes, it does create the possibility of a bit of a hot-spot in the very center of the head, but this has little/no impact on overall engine cooling. What it DOES impact is the potential for detonation in the center cylinders, but especially in carb'ed applications the intake manifold design tends to lead to those cylinders being a bit richer anyway. That's not to say SBCs don't have cooling issues at times, but it has nothing to do with the intake/exhaust port layout of the heads.

Also, looking at the OP's pics I see 8-lug axles (and what appears to be a full floater in the rear), that rules out a 10-bolt rear. I assume you meant 10-bolt, not 10.5". The 10-bolt had a 8.5" ring gear, even the 12-bolt was a 8.875" ring gear and wasn't a full floater. The Corporate 14 did have a 10.5" ring gear, but I've never heard anybody call it a "GM 10.5 inch" rear. That said, it obviously is 8 lug and full-floater, so maybe that's what you meant? Either way the OP said it has D60s front/rear - and the rear 60 was available full-float so that seems to be the case here.

As for the OP's carb issue, I'd convert it to EFI. It's just too easy these days, with kits that replace your carb with a throttle body and injectors on your current manifold and are self-learning/tuning. As others have said, IF the motor itself isn't healthy then an LS-swap might be a much better plan, but if the current 400 is happy I'd just swap in a Holley EFI setup and call it a day.

-TJ
I was under the impression that there was no water jacket between the cylinders all the way down on the 400 small block hence the reference of siamese cylinders (this means there is NO water jacket between cylinders, just metal top to bottom. This is done to reduce block flex and this leads to a more durable block and a better block to head joint), I will have to look at that. What you have pictured is simply closed deck construction. You wont get full water jacket around the complete cylinder unless the block is open an deck.

Also yes the 14 bolt is what I was referencing. Being a mechanic I got into the habit of referencing things in terms that make more sense (it is common practice in the HD side of things to reference axles according to ring gear diameter or weight rating). To say 14 bolt, that could mean the full floating 10.5" rear axle, or the 11" or the 11.5 or 11.8 or 12" ring geared axles or even the semi float 9.75" (?) that GM started running in the 3/4ton pickups in the 80s. Referencing ring gear diameter means something, and also helps relate to axle load capacity. As far as the front axle, I'm just not sure from the picture angles if its an 8lug 44 or a 60. Also the 60 was not used as a rear axle by GM in that body style of trucks. Meaning if it is a 60, somebody did some fab work to swap in an inferior axle than what would be a direct swap from a 3/4ton pickup. Not impossible but not likely. Also I don't think GM ever used a full floating 60 in the pickups (Ford and Dodge did), they always had a superior axle in the 10.5" full floating "14 bolt" or before that the little Eaton.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
All the recommendations on FI are good but look where he lives. I've driven off road with about every carb made and I have to agree with the above post, edelbrock/carter and Quadrajet on carbs but only the quadrajet will smog and good luck finding someone to tune it.
Personally, I would build it as a 1989/90 C10. Throttle body and no smog pump. Very simple, easy to work on and very little to fail and can be done smog legal. Years ago, I set up quite a few of those on the older V8 and I6 jeeps as well as SBC's in things.

Reactions: Dilldog

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
All the recommendations on FI are good but look where he lives. I've driven off road with about every carb made and I have to agree with the above post, edelbrock/carter and Quadrajet on carbs but only the quadrajet will smog and good luck finding someone to tune it.
Personally, I would build it as a 1989/90 C10. Throttle body and no smog pump. Very simple, easy to work on and very little to fail and can be done smog legal. Years ago, I set up quite a few of those on the older V8 and I6 jeeps as well as SBC's in things.
Yeah it's really too bad the Qjet fell out of favor. I was one of two guys in my old full sized group that could dial them in. Once you get them sorted out they are an amazing carb, 13mpg on a k5 running 40s and 5.13 gears with a 4 speed and a 383 while still having plenty of power and being stable in the rocks is hard to discount...