Just joined! So excited!

• HTML tutorial

Should I buy a roof top tent or make my own?

• DIY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't do it! Not worth it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Anthony Seger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sunnyvale, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Seger
Member #

Hey guys!

I have heard a lot of good things about this group and I am super excited to be here. I have been offroading in some capacity for several years but just recently have joined forums. I am currently on 2: FJCruiser forums and this one.

I am a SF Bay area native and plan to move to CO somewhere in the near future. I have a strong determination to get away from the city life and become more with nature. It sounds cheesy I know but my family was never the outdoors type and a camping trip was unheard of!

I currently am daily driving an 08 FJ Cruiser with rock sliders and rear locker. I have a factory roof rack and am looking for good DIY plans for a roof top tent. (if anyone has ideas, send them over ;D)

Anyway, I look forward to meeting up with people and going on adventures!

Sincerely,

Anthony

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

Anthony,
Welcome to the OB Forums. The Mrs. & I left the bay area in 1992, moving to Boise, ID. I have built several different designs and each of them had an issue, which caused me to scrap them. If you have the skills in Aluminum, Fiberglass, waterproofing, gaskets and seals, and have the time -building your own RTT has a couple benefits. With the # of Company's, models, skills that the RTT OEM's have. I'd spend the money and get out traveling.
It's the reason the Mrs. & I are headed to Overland EXPO in May. We haven't decided on how we want to proceed. Scrap the 88 FJ62, and buy a Mercedes Sprinter and build-out, or purchase a wheel-able with RTT.
David

What do you do for employment?

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hey guys!

I have heard a lot of good things about this group and I am super excited to be here. I have been offroading in some capacity for several years but just recently have joined forums. I am currently on 2: FJCruiser forums and this one.

I am a SF Bay area native and plan to move to CO somewhere in the near future. I have a strong determination to get away from the city life and become more with nature. It sounds cheesy I know but my family was never the outdoors type and a camping trip was unheard of!

I currently am daily driving an 08 FJ Cruiser with rock sliders and rear locker. I have a factory roof rack and am looking for good DIY plans for a roof top tent. (if anyone has ideas, send them over ;D)

Anyway, I look forward to meeting up with people and going on adventures!

Sincerely,

Anthony
Hello Anthony and welcome to the OB crew. .happy to add another Toy to the group and look forward to seeing your build and adventures. .Good luck on your RTT quest

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

S

SubeeBen

Anthony welcome from San Diego, Ca. Awesome forum & great information as well as the people. Welcome & enjoy.

Anthony Seger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sunnyvale, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Seger
Member #

Anthony,
Welcome to the OB Forums. The Mrs. & I left the bay area in 1992, moving to Boise, ID. I have built several different designs and each of them had an issue, which caused me to scrap them. If you have the skills in Aluminum, Fiberglass, waterproofing, gaskets and seals, and have the time -building your own RTT has a couple benefits. With the # of Company's, models, skills that the RTT OEM's have. I'd spend the money and get out traveling.
It's the reason the Mrs. & I are headed to Overland EXPO in May. We haven't decided on how we want to proceed. Scrap the 88 FJ62, and buy a Mercedes Sprinter and build-out, or purchase a wheel-able with RTT.
David

What do you do for employment?
Thank you so much for the info!

I currently work at an optometry office doing admin work but I have been a mechanic for 10+years. I graduated De Anza College with A.S. degrees in Automotive Technology. I was ASE certified for a while but when I left the business I let them expire. I hope I can help with technical stuff.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Welcome to OB You would like Colorado especially if you like to explore the Rockies. I am building my camping trailer out of my sons old XJ to match my XJ. It has been a pretty fun project but you got me thinking? How nice it would be to have an FJ with an FJ camper trailer to follow behind it. They are quite a bit wider than the average Jeep or 4 runner and would also look nice behind an FJ.

Reactions: Anthony Seger

Anthony Seger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sunnyvale, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Seger
Member #

Welcome to OB You would like Colorado especially if you like to explore the Rockies. I am building my camping trailer out of my sons old XJ to match my XJ. It has been a pretty fun project but you got me thinking? How nice it would be to have an FJ with an FJ camper trailer to follow behind it. They are quite a bit wider than the average Jeep or 4 runner and would also look nice behind an FJ.
Do you have photos of your trailer set up? It might be hard to do an FJ trailer since it is an suv. Unless I did an old school FJ40 pickup! OOOOOO!!! That would be cool!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Do you have photos of your trailer set up? It might be hard to do an FJ trailer since it is an suv. Unless I did an old school FJ40 pickup! OOOOOO!!! That would be cool!
I think were there is a will there is a way. It is just hard to do things so it doesn't look like a hack job. If you know what I mean. But we will have to wait and see if mine turns out the way I want it to.

Anthony Seger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sunnyvale, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Seger
Member #

That looks so cool! I couldn't quite visualize what you were talking about but I see it now. That is a really cool idea. I will look into it.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Yeah, I may have over built the thing, but I would rather have it to stout then have it weaken and fall apart on the trail. It is going to basicly function like a tear drop when it's done. Tubbing the floor in was easier then you would expect. Everthing is just taking a lot of time to get where I want it to be. I have a detail thread on CherokeeTalk forum that goes step by step with the process, which probably would apply with most any vehicle with a few mods. Since a FJ is a two door I would remove as much space between the wheel wells and the door to shorten it up a little. But you would have a spacious door to enter into the camper rather than entering into through the XJs back door, I was trying to keep it short enough to run most trails I want to do. Any ways it is a great little project to keep me busy.

Anthony Seger

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Sunnyvale, CA, USA
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Seger
Member #

I was thinking I would cut it just after the windshield. With it gutted, that would give me a tone of space inside and allow for a window. Did you think about just cutting the frame and welding a trailer tongue to the front? That would allow for suspension and everything of the trailer to be easy to fix and find parts for.

You got me thinking DARN YOU!!!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

No so many people did just that, the one thing is you really don't want overly heavy tongue weight on your bumper. There are a lot of essentials on the tongue like dual batteries propane bottle and the propex heat exchanger. That is why I decided to take the front door out and shorten the cab by 11"s. The really nice thing about building this is it is going to be a hard shell camper painted to match the vehicle with the exact paint scheme. I built the sub floor out of two by one steel tubbing. And used angle iron to attatch the body to it. Then took sheet metal to bring the fender wells down to the sub floor. I bought some Impalla body bushings to mount the body to the trailer frame. Love Ebay and Amazon you can find almost anything you need. The nice thing about using a XJ is they are so very light to begin with.

Last edited:

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I was thinking I would cut it just after the windshield. With it gutted, that would give me a tone of space inside and allow for a window. Did you think about just cutting the frame and welding a trailer tongue to the front? That would allow for suspension and everything of the trailer to be easy to fix and find parts for.

You got me thinking DARN YOU!!!
I think you could do that it would be quit roomy for sure. I'm not sure it would go on all the tight trails , but really would make a nice home base. I wonder if it would be possible to move the rear axle forward about 10"s or what ever you can would help with the tongue weight. That is why I built the dual swing out bumper with tire and gas/water cans. It will help counter balance the front well.

But any ways Welcome to the obsession this has become. Have fun exploring!!!!

Reactions: Anthony Seger