Just getting started- traveling repeater programming?

• HTML tutorial

bobbysaget83

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Winn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5DCH
I have had my license for a few months, but really have just started using it. I have a very simple basic setup for now consisting of a Baofeng UV-5R with a mag mount antennae that is suspended via a zip tie to my vent.
F4483F99-5857-4A49-A4FA-537E471D3365.jpeg6CE52CEB-B773-41BD-BF3C-BE668F594BC8.jpeg5E9C5A78-4B95-4CC9-AB27-D70A2CEF8E32.jpeg

My question is more of a planning one. When you guys are planning trips, what do you do to pre-program repeaters along your route?

Reactions: Ubiety

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Repeaterbook is a great source. the website allows you to search by bands and major interstates as well as the map. I'll figure out the best repeaters along the route and also print out the home pages for each repeater and scribble some notes for myself.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

If you use CHIRP to program the radio you can access repeaterbook and download repeaters by county along the route.
What I typically do is make a false memory channel with the name of the county or metro area so that I know that everything that comes after that entry is for that county/metro.