Joshua Tree National Park

• HTML tutorial

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
Hey guys. Celebrating my birthday weekend exploring Joshua Tree and the surrounding areas. Looking to check out Berdoo Canyon, Painted Canyon Drive, Old Dale Road, and end my weekend taking Pioneer town towards Big Bear on my way home to Orange County CA on Sunday. This will be my first major weekend trip in prep for Zion and Sedona this summer. Leaving at the crack of dawn next Friday and spending my first night in Agua Caliente just because I have never been. It’s 39 miles from the park. I'll start exploring friday morning. Any suggestions or advice on where to stay or eat? And what else is good to check out around that area? Anyone in the area the weekend of 3/2 - 3/4?

Last edited:

po3po3

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Garden Grove, CA
Member #

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions but I'm new too overlanding and your trip sounds exactly like something I would want to do. I'll be following this and hope you'll share your experience/route so I can do the same trip too:)

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

Hey guys. Celebrating my birthday weekend exploring Joshua Tree and the surrounding areas. Looking to check out Berdoo Canyon, Painted Canyon Drive, Old Dale Road, and end my weekend taking Pioneer town towards Big Bear on my way home to Orange County CA on Sunday. This will be my first major weekend trip in prep for Zion and Sedona this summer. Leaving at the crack of dawn next Friday and spending my first night in Agua Caliente just because I have never been. It’s 39 miles from the park. I'll start exploring friday morning. Any suggestions or advice on where to stay or eat? And what else is good to check out around that area? Anyone in the area the weekend of 3/2 - 3/4?
That sounds like a good plan. Painted Canyon has an interesting hike; it is often called the ladders trail. It goes up a narrow slot canyon. After the hike you can continue up Box Canyon to the Park entrance, or backtrack to go up Berdoo Canyon.

Berdoo can be a bit challenging, but it is not too hard. If you find you don't like it, you can go a bit further east and do Pinkham Canyon Road. It also enters the park via dirt road. Of course it does not drop you in the center of the park like Berdoo does.

Old Dale Road is interesting and not too difficult. You can also go up Black Eagle mine Road. It is a dead end, but offers places to primitive camp. So does Old Dale.

Reactions: bundi3180

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

Dillon Road off-ramp from the 10 has a Loves truck stop, a good place to fill up before Berdoo Canyon. On your way to Painted Canyon is a date farm with some history and date samples. oasisdate.com

Just east of the park entrance is Chiriaco Summit, a family run restaraunt and gas station since 1933. It is also the location of one of the WWII desert training centers. The General Patton Museum is located there. http://generalpattonmuseum.com/

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

When you exit Joshua Tree NP via Old Dale Rd. I assume you will head west on Hwy 62 to Pioneer Town. An option is to drive through the myriad of dirt roads to the north, between Hwy 62 and the Marine Corp base. There are lots of old homestead structures in various states of decay that are interesting to see. Back in the 1950's the government was giving away land to people if they "improved" it. People got 5 acres just by putting up a home that met minimum requirements and paying property tax. This was another failure by the government as most people never used the land as intended.

There is also a large 8 acre property full of strange art pieces. http://simidabahsculptures.com/gallery/

And the bizarre Integratron. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integratron

Old Giant Rock airport. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/CA/Airfields_CA_SanBernardino_SE.htm#giantrock

Bev Doolittle home. https://la.curbed.com/2017/9/8/16262146/joshua-tree-supervillain-lair

Pioneer Town is worth a look, it is a filming location. They have rooms available. I stayed there once.

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

When you leave Pioneer Town and head to Big Bear, there are three dirt roads. 3N03 is the easiest. 2N02 is easy, but climbs through some hills. 2N01 has a steep climb on loose rock. If there is much snow, I would avoid 2N01.

There is a fourth route, called Rattlesnake Canyon, that heads north to the desert and meets Hwy 247. That is a fun trail through a narrow canyon.

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
Quick question though guys. Will I need sliders to run Berdoo? I have 31s ATM. Bout how much should I air down on the runs in Joshua Tree trails or the Pioneer Town to Big Bear Run? 15-25psi? I gather it makes the the biggest difference in traction and ride quality but every trail is it's own beast. And are their spots where you can air up? I'm still working on buying an ARB compressor next. Or should I get the $50 ones I see on ebay? So its a question for the ones who have gone to the park. Your advice and input is much appreciated.

OffWheelin

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Torrance, CA
Member #

Conditions in Berdoo vary depending on how rain/flooding has affected it each year. That is typical of narrow canyons in the desert. You will just have to see for yourself.

You can run most terrain effectively at about 25 psi. 15 would only be needed for lots of sand, like dunes. There are not many places to get air.

At 25 you can still travel on paved roads. The limiting factor is tire temperature. Low pressure lets them flex more and it builds heat. If you need to run down the highway at speed for a while, you can stop and check by putting your palm on the sidewall. If it is not too hot to hold your hand on it, you are OK.

I suggest you get a quality compressor. You will be happy with it for years.

bundi3180

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

US
Exactly my thought. Thanks bro. That at least gives me more than a YouTube informed educated guess. Looking to get the ARB CKMA12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Bundi3180, we are taking pretty much the same trip and I would be interested in your feedback, especially regarding the trail from Pioneertown to Big Bear... Thanks.

GPsGeeps

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The 2N02 (Burns Canyon Rd) is a well traveled fire road with scenic views in between Pioneertown and Big Bear. There are a few challenging offshoots like 2N70Y (Sidewinder Canyon) for added fun. Skids and sliders recommended for that one if you're stock.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

The 2N02 (Burns Canyon Rd) is a well traveled fire road with scenic views in between Pioneertown and Big Bear. There are a few challenging offshoots like 2N70Y (Sidewinder Canyon) for added fun. Skids and sliders recommended for that one if you're stock.
Good info, thanks. I'm swinging by Tactical Rover to pick up some sliders on the way down, so should be fun.

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gold Coast QLD, Australia
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

Bundi3180, we are taking pretty much the same trip and I would be interested in your feedback, especially regarding the trail from Pioneertown to Big Bear... Thanks.
Good info, thanks. I'm swinging by Tactical Rover to pick up some sliders on the way down, so should be fun.
I did Burns Canyon road mid last year in my LR3, I have 275/65 K02s but other wise stock. I did the whole trail in the street program with just letting my tyres down a bit. It's a great trail driving though large joshua tree fields then the change of scenery as you near Big Bear Lake. I did a few side trails, 2n90 Tin Top was quite washed out but easily easily doable and great views from the top. I did some of the easier trails in the Rattle Snake Canyon/Heartbreak Hill area as I was alone and had my mountain bike on the back so didn't want to push it to hard.

There are tons of fun trails in the Big bear area, Head to the Big Bear Discovery Centre and they will give you a map of the trails in the area. 2n10 Skyline Drive is an easy drive(great mountain bike trail right next to it as well) with some amazing views of the valley and a great spot to head up and have lunch in the forests.

jazzy13

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newport, RI, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Azbill
Member #

Touge, good to hear from another LR member. Tip Top and Rattle Snake definitely look doable and fun. These are great tips, thanks.

Also, did you add a lift (ie Johnson Rods) with the 275/65s or do any cutting/modifications to make them fit? The next big project for me will be switching to 18" Lucky8 or compomotive rims...instead of the 19" I currently have...but I do have the Cooper Zeon LTZ which have been great on the trails.

TOUGE

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Gold Coast QLD, Australia
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Ash
Member #

Touge, good to hear from another LR member. Tip Top and Rattle Snake definitely look doable and fun. These are great tips, thanks.

Also, did you add a lift (ie Johnson Rods) with the 275/65s or do any cutting/modifications to make them fit? The next big project for me will be switching to 18" Lucky8 or compomotive rims...instead of the 19" I currently have...but I do have the Cooper Zeon LTZ which have been great on the trails.
I didn't go down the lift rod route as the suspension isn't designed to drive daily at the height, the alignment will be close but not perfect. I use an IIDtool to to give a 30mm lift if needed plus the IIDtool clear the 100000 faults that may arise while off road, you can also change a ton of other setting.

Mine only scrapes the fender lining on the front side of the rear wells at full compression, other people have reported heaps of rubbing, it seems different for every LR3/4. The 275s use a ton more fuel and it is quite a bit slower to accelerate. The IIDtool you can also change the wheel size in the LR3/4 software, so the speedo matches and you don't get speed sensor errors because of the jump in tyre diameter.