Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
Hello. I’m curious if anyone has dispersed camping guidance for the Joshua Tree/Palm Springs area late NOV. I was gonna stay at Indian Cove but they’re apparently closed Thanksgiving week. I need an overnighter spot just for one evening, driving up from San Diego to p/u family in Palm Springs. Thought I’d enjoy the trip and go up one day early … any suggestions? Not opposed to a medium difficulty offroad option. I have a stout f350 Habitat setup. Thx guys

Reactions: MOAK

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

There are options, both north and south of the park. At the south end, between the freeway (I-10) and the park border, there are plenty of places for boondocking, but it’s fairly close to the road, and is probably fairly crowded about now. You can go south of the freeway and follow any of the many dirt roads and find some good spots. This is all BLM land. North of the park, between the towns of Joshua Tree, and Twentynine Palms, is a dry lake bed that is supposedly on BLM land and open to camping, but I’ve never camped there. East of Twentynine Palms, on Highway 62 is the Dale Mining District, with many great places to camp. This is my favorite boondocking area!

Reactions: RAMf1 and Speric

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
There are options, both north and south of the park. At the south end, between the freeway (I-10) and the park border, there are plenty of places for boondocking, but it’s fairly close to the road, and is probably fairly crowded about now. You can go south of the freeway and follow any of the many dirt roads and find some good spots. This is all BLM land. North of the park, between the towns of Joshua Tree, and Twentynine Palms, is a dry lake bed that is supposedly on BLM land and open to camping, but I’ve never camped there. East of Twentynine Palms, on Highway 62 is the Dale Mining District, with many great places to camp. This is my favorite boondocking area!
THANK YOU for all of the options, much appreciated!

Wally