Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California, USA
First Name
Sean
Last Name
S
Hey, my wife and I just purchased two new vehicles one of wich was specifcly bought to start this overland adventure together with eachother and you guys!!
I just joined as well! hailing from Buford GA.
That's so cool! I'd like to welcome everyone to Overland Bound! I have been a member for a while and absolutely love it.

Reactions: Adan C Garcia

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Hey, my wife and I just purchased two new vehicles one of wich was specifcly bought to start this overland adventure together with eachother and you guys!!
I was like "what is it?!" then you were like

So the rig that we bought is a 2016 Jeeop Patriot Sport SE. I bought it as something that I can use 75% on the road and 15% light medium trails.
then i was like oh snap. Awesome! Lol sorry the play by play.... Welcome from Washington!!

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
Welcome to the group!

Make sure you keep tabs on the Southeast region for goings on!

(We've got a meet up in Ocala National Forest next weekend if you can make it!

AdventureWithDanan

Local Expert, Florida USA
Investor

Pathfinder II

Safety Harbor, FL, USA
First Name
Danan
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3AWD
Service Branch
CERT
So my biggest question is where do I start with adding the mod to the patriot. I feel as if I need a mentor in this hobby!
I'd start with a good set of tires. I'm a big BFG A/T (BF Goodrich All Terrain) fan.

But if you're not going to do much in the way of off roads, I might start with figuring out the best method of organizing the interior for longer travel. How much water and food will you carry? What types of containers might you use? On a 2 or more day trip, wife and I use a 3L camelback, a 64oz Yeti container and a couple 32oz Yeti cups. I love the 64oz yeti because I can fill it to the top with ice, then fill with water and I'll have ice cold water for days. When I drink all the water, we refill from the camelback and keep using the ice for cold water until it's gone. The 64oz container is a pain in the butt because it's so big though. So I'm about to create a system to hold it behind the center console.

Now, I've got a truck, so in the bed of the truck I've got a 4 drawer aluminum box that has about 7 days of food, fuel and a couple backpacking stoves. I've also got tools and recovery gear.

I keep a couple tarps, gloves, extra shoes, 2 medical kits (one on each side of the truck) and other tools in the cab as well.

But I guess the short answer would be, figure out what you ALWAYS want with you and start organizing it inside the vehicle with the best utilization of space you can. You've got lots of space where the spare tire is too.

Ichibahn

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Atlanta, GA
Member #

Welcome to the forum. Go out as much as you can, that way you know what you're really need on your overland vehicle.
Like Dananc mentioned above, get a good set A/T tires for the starter. Then shelter, sleeping system, and cooking set.

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
Welcome to Overland Bound! Take it slowly. The more you go out, the more your preferences develop. Don't fall into the kit and mods trap at first.