Jetboil vs. MSR WindBurner

• HTML tutorial

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

I need some opinions on these 2 quick stoves. The main purpose of these will be to make coffee, they both have a press, I figure I can real quick make enough coffee in the morning to fill my Thermos travel mug, and also make a cup to drink before starting out in the morning.
In case y'all didn't know, the thermos travel mugs are awesome by the way. They keep your coffee hot for hours. I literally made coffee from my Keurig yesterday morning before we left for OXW and had hot coffee when we left expo. That was 5 hours, and you know Keurigs don't get coffee real hot.
Also, will be used for making quick breakfasts of oatmeal and cream of wheat. Boiling water for this or that, and I like the option for a small skillet to cook on.
So, any insight on these two mini stove systems as to which one would be the better of the 2?

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

It's just like this place, but seems to be more established. I've been over there for a few years and they have some folks putting up trip reports that span years. It's a very good resource.
Ya, EP is a great source of info. I go to the website a couple times a week and read, I just haven't gotten around to joining their forum. They have a great "magazine" to, if you want to call it that. I would refer to it as a book. LOL. Really nice. I was given one for free when I visited their neighbors to look at a camper, and got a tour and got to see Tacoma Habitats in process. Really cool.
I literally stood in EPs parking lot and stared at their overland rigs. :grinning:

ClearwaterScott

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia, Missouri
Member #

The real question you should be asking yourself is which Jetboil (regular, solo, titanium) you should buy. There is nothing better than the JB to roll some water. You really may have trouble getting the rest of the coffee setup before this thing boils over. I got mine 5 plus years ago and still believe it is one of my best pieces of gear.

Marleyboard

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Breckenridge, CO
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Bowen
Member #

Both are great systems and I have used both. I currently use the msr for the am coffee. The big pro with it in my opinion is the wind resistance. Msr will stay lit and hot in much stronger wind than jet boil. I live in high altitude so even a little wind can prove extra trouble. Short of that need the jet boil is a fine choice.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I've had my Jetboil for going on 12 years now. Still going strong without having had to replace any components. Last year I bought the coffee press accessory for it but didn't like it much. Coffee is a bit gritty as it tends to be with presses. Although it's more work, I use the Aeropress for coffee while out on the trail, but I use it also on a daily basis each morning for my to-go cup of coffee.

Marleyboard

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Breckenridge, CO
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Bowen
Member #

2nd thumbs up for the aeropress they are amazing. With a little practice it is like having an espresso machine even when hiking. Much better than any other French press styles I have had. Super easy to keep things clean too. But I guess it depends what kinda coffee you like.

Arizona Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cottonwood, Arizona
Member #

So to update, I did get the MSR with the coffee press. I have had it out camping, and it does work pretty well. I do have a bit of a struggle getting the press out of the can after Ive made my coffee and I am a bit concerned about this breaking. However, so far so good. I hope with a little practice I will get a bit better at using the press. I am thinking if I don't shove the press all the way to the bottom of the pot it might come out a little bit easier. Will experiment next trip. Had some winds when I was using it, and had more trouble lighting the lighter than lighting the MSR and it stayed lit no problem.

KTM GRIZZLY

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Apache Junction, AZ, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I'm an experienced camper / survivalist and Overlander. I try to find things for survival based on if I had to survive without certain amenities. I can cook and boil water without propane or butane just starting a simple fire and I can charge any USB device with heat alone, and it's not a campfire. I can boil water and make coffee just as fast as any propane unit out there. I can cook burgers on it's Grill , run lights off of it even charge my cell phone off of it all through heat convection. I never camp with propane or butane and I cook all my food just as good as any Grill and boil my water for coffee and have a coffee press and a kettle the device that I'm talking about is called the BioLite campstove they now make the BioLite 2 camp stove with bigger battery capacity better charging capabilities . this device is worth its weight in gold and worth every penny you'll pay for it to round $130 for the initial camp stove . other attachments are not that expensive like the grill, the kettle, the coffee press ,the lights. I highly suggest you check it out on YouTube, it will save you a lot of money in the end. They also make a base camp one which is larger for 300. Any questions feel free to contact me I will post a picture shortly. I never ever go anywhere without my BioLite

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizona Overland

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
I've been using my jetboil to make coffee for years. Its a water boiling monster. Dunno ... cost me 70-80 bucks maybe. Forgotten its been so long. Honestly, I've spent way more on coffee than the coffee maker itself.
  • jetboil
  • coffee
  • water
  • spoon
  • plastic pour over funnel
  • cone coffee filters
  • large insulated plastic mug
I toss it all in a small bucket and have my coffee making contraption handy anywhere. I take it along on my bicycle trips, motorcycle trips, road trips, camping trips and soon ... overlanding trips. I just have to pack things differently.

I don't screw with a press. I use a pour over method by just sticking a regular cone filter into a funnel. Get a larger coffee funnel so you can make a thermos of coffee at a time. For that I use a cheap insulated plastic mug.

I can make coffee: on the picnic table at rest areas, on the tailgate of my pickup truck, at campgrounds of course, on the side of the road, in a hotel room, in my kitchen ... well anywhere.

Love it! -FB