Jelorian's 03 Suburban Z71 Build

• HTML tutorial

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Here is my build thread on my 2003 Chevy Suburban 1500 Z71.

I bought her with 100,400 miles on 1/9/2015. She was bone stock and previously owned by an elderly couple who always brought her to the dealer for regular maintenance.

I know we all like pics.

A few days after I picked her up. Some bluffs over looking the Pacific Ocean.

How she currently looks.

Exterior

-N-Fab Pre-Runner light bar
-Wilco Offroad Hitchgate (offset version)
-Level 8 MK6 17x8 Bronze Wheels
-Thule Summit Cargo Box (mounted for longer trips)
-BFGoodrich LT285/70R17, All-Terrain T/A KO2 -
-80 Series Land Cruiser Snorkel
-Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
-Curt Front Hitch

Suspension & Brakes

-Aftermarket torsion keys
-2" rear aluminum spacers
-Moog K700539 front sway bar links
-Bilstein 5100 Front Shocks (24-186643)
-Bilstein 5100 Rear Shocks (24-185783)
-GMT900 Front Brake Upgrade

Electrical and Lighting

-Dual Interstate Batteries
-3 x ProComp 130W 9131 Driving Lights
-LED Interior Lighting Package

Engine
-Volant Cold Air Intake - Part No. 151536

Recovery
-Smittybilt X20-12k GEN2 Winch w/ synthetic line
-Curt Winch Mount Plate
-Hi-Lift Jack
-Hi-Lift Off-Road Base
-Hi-Lift 3" x 15' Tree Saver
-Hi-Lift Jack LM-100 Lift-Mate
-3" x 30' 30k Recovery Strap
-2" x 20' 20k Recovery Strap
-Snatch Block

**Upcoming Mods** - in no particular order
-auxiliary fuel tank
-air compressor and tank
-CB/VHF radio
-roof rack
-rear roof rack lighting mod
-winch bumper with shackle mounts, hi-lift mount points
-Rock sliders - got the sliders 12/8/2016, looking for a fab shop to have them modified and welded on
-14 bolt rear
-4L80E transmission
-skid plates
-B&M Transmission Cooler - thanks geronracing
-traction mat (Maxtrax, Tred Pro's, Maxsa...I'm still undecided)

Hitchgate Tire Carrier

N-Fab Pre-runner light bar, ProComp lights installed, Level 8 MK6 Bronze Wheels 17x8.5 4.5" backspacing, BFG A/T KO2's

Dual Battery Pics

Last edited:
Reactions: Casey.Broach

Pap SJ

Rank 0

Traveler I

Would love to see more action shots of this thing; do you plan on possibly installing a rear differential locker as well? My '97 is nice and heavy, and I figure having that ability to lock the rear on trails would be ideal at some point.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Would love to see more action shots of this thing; do you plan on possibly installing a rear differential locker as well? My '97 is nice and heavy, and I figure having that ability to lock the rear on trails would be ideal at some point.
Unfortunately, I don't have too many actions shots. Here's a rear shot.

Absolutely do have plans on getting a locker for the rear but I'll wait till my 10 bolt goes on me and will source a 14 bolt SFF and then get a proper locker for it. The rear diffs and tranmissions are the weak points of the 1/2 ton GMT800 platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: boss324

michiganoverland

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Michigan
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Nice to see another Suburban. Looks great with all the modifications. I run a Suburban also as part of Michigan Overland. How do you like the Wilco swing away tire carrier? I've been considering one.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Nice to see another Suburban. Looks great with all the modifications. I run a Suburban also as part of Michigan Overland. How do you like the Wilco swing away tire carrier? I've been considering one.

The Wilco Hitchgate is nice but it's not perfect.

Pros:
-I like the fact that I can remove it whenever I want.
-You can still tow with it installed.
-There is zero wobble due to their innovative wedge-lock design
-Powder coating finish is very thick

Cons:
-The bolt on accessories are pricey. Vertical hi-lift mount is $90, dual jerry can mount is $350+, license plate relocator $90.
-There is no way to lock the swingout in the open position. Could be an issue on a off cambered road.
-By simply unbolting the hinge/spindle, you someone could take the upper part of your Hitchgate along with whatever you have attached to it. Spare tire, jack, jerry cans, etc.
-With a hi-lift mounted horizontally, you have to fully open the swingout in order to open your rear hatch
-Would prefer additional/backup for the pin locking mechanism so it absolutely cannot come out

Nice build, how does the z71 perform with this setup?
I haven't had her on any "extreme trails" but so far so good. No rubbing with the tires, suspension is good with the 5100's, mild lift is perfect for my use. Glad to see another full size and a GMT800 Suburban to boot here in the SF Bay Area. Would love to join up and go take our rigs out on a trail run.

Reactions: boss324

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Pros:

Cons:
-The bolt on accessories are pricey. Vertical hi-lift mount is $90, dual jerry can mount is $350+, license plate relocator $90.
-There is no way to lock the swingout in the open position. Could be an issue on a off cambered road.
-By simply unbolting the hinge/spindle, you someone could take the upper part of your Hitchgate along with whatever you have attached to it. Spare tire, jack, jerry cans, etc.
-With a hi-lift mounted horizontally, you have to fully open the swingout in order to open your rear hatch
-Would prefer additional/backup for the pin locking mechanism so it absolutely cannot come out

I haven't had her on any "extreme trails" but so far so good. No rubbing with the tires, suspension is good with the 5100's, mild lift is perfect for my use. Glad to see another full size and a GMT800 Suburban to boot here in the SF Bay Area. Would love to join up and go take our rigs out on a trail run.
No doubt man very rare to see burbs out on the trails. I am itching to get out an explore. Definitely be open to that.

Reactions: Jelorian

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Pros:

Cons:

Nice truck. I've been looking at the wilcos, so its good to hear some feedback. What about replacing the hinge bolt with a longer castle bolt to run a lock through? Same idea with the locking pin, you can get a good clevis with a handle from Ace hardware or tractor supply.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Nice truck. I've been looking at the wilcos, so its good to hear some feedback. What about replacing the hinge bolt with a longer castle bolt to run a lock through? Same idea with the locking pin, you can get a good clevis with a handle from Ace hardware or tractor supply.
Thanks! If you have any other questions on it, or need better/close up pictures let me know. I was thinking of just getting a security nut. That way I don't need to worry about a lock.

Something like this. Just gotta see if I can buy a few and not 100.

As for the locking pin, it does seem to hold pretty well, but I'll probably drill a small hole so I can use a cotter pin.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

No doubt man very rare to see burbs out on the trails. I am itching to get out an explore. Definitely be open to that.
Same here, but man, sometimes you just get so busy with other stuff. Where have you taken yours? I know a guy in the east bay that has a Burb as well and we've been trying to plan a trip. I'll be down for an overnighter or even a day trip to Hollister or Carnegie (never been to either).

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Thanks! If you have any other questions on it, or need better/close up pictures let me know. I was thinking of just getting a security nut. That way I don't need to worry about a lock.

Something like this. Just gotta see if I can buy a few and not 100.

As for the locking pin, it does seem to hold pretty well, but I'll probably drill a small hole so I can use a cotter pin.
Interesting, not familiar with those. Looks like a good fix, if you can buy small quantities.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Interesting, not familiar with those. Looks like a good fix, if you can buy small quantities.
Yes. I was going to try and use them to secure my driving lights as well as my winch. I can see myself using them all over my rig. The fact that you only need a standard wrench to remove is a huge plus. You don't have to worry about a special tool or key...however, you DO need at least 1 more of them to install and remove an existing nut, so you technically would need to carry another in case you wanted to remove one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vyscera