Jeep XJ Steering

• HTML tutorial

Mark S.

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

I’ve got a 98 Xj , 4.5 RE Lift kit and 33”x12.5” tires. I have the rubicon express upgraded track bar and the rest of the steering is a slightly upgraded rough country kit with stabilizer. My question is , is it normal for it to want to wander around the road so much starting around 40mph ? I have a sway bar with the quick disconnects and have messed around with them to make sure they are solid , I just found that it was a white knuckle experience taking it on the freeway and was wondering if any XJ owners have had that experience and or have some suggestions to make future trips a little less difficult to keep between the lines.

-mark

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

My suggestion would be to have someone take the steering wheel and move it back and forth while you get under the rig to see where the problem is. I had the same issue until I located the drop bracket bolts had hollowed out. I drilled it out for a slightly larger bolt and also welded the bracket so it wouldn't be a issue any more. Any play anywhere, upper track bar mount, bad ball joints, would make it wonder. Once you get it figured out you will be good.

Reactions: Mark S.

Darthwj913

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Clark
Member #

I second @JDGreens , Same issue on my 97 xj so we welded the track bar bracket. Same issue on my current Rig 01 WJ so we welded teh Track bar bracket. Same issue on my buddy's 95 ZJ track bar Bracket wallerd it self out so we welded it. lol! It seems to be a reoccurring issue on all lifted jeeps My XJ had JKS kit, Wj Has RockKrawler, Zj has IRO parts.