Jeep Wranglers back on the battlefield?

• HTML tutorial

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Typical government idiocracy, there is already vehicle with those capabilities and then some, it's called ITV...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453838194.928013.jpg

Reactions: IronPercheron

ShawnR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bettendorf, Iowa, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Reimers
Member #

Service Branch
Army
The Israelis have made some impressive vehicles for their military out of Wranglers. Hendricks built some concept vehicles out of Wranglers for Spec Ops that can be helicoptered into remote locations. I could see it happening. But I doubt it will. The U.N. seems to like Wranglers, since they have a fleet of them. The Pope has one too. Depending on the objective, armored isn't always necessary when it's used in a military application.

roamingtimber

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

North Cascades, Washington
Member #

Well they will need a "daily driver" to replace the humvee, maybe this is it
I don't think so. While the search for the humvee replacement is on, the Humvee is a beast when it comes to towing and hauling, a jeep can't touch it. The next daily driver will do everything the humvee does but be armored. That's just the direction we're going. The American public doesn't find casualties in war acceptable. A few might make it as special ops vehicles, or in service with a lesser military as a replacement for the now out of production defender, but they just don't meet the general purpose vehicle requirements for the majority of the military.

Reactions: murps

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

I would think a diesel Suburban / Expedition would be more in line with what the military could use as a general purpose vehicle. Combine towing ability, passenger space, solid construction with the ability to handle the weight of armour, accessories, passengers, configurations, etc. compared to the lighter-weight Wrangler.

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I would think a diesel Suburban / Expedition would be more in line with what the military could use as a general purpose vehicle. Combine towing ability, passenger space, solid construction with the ability to handle the weight of armour, accessories, passengers, configurations, etc. compared to the lighter-weight Wrangler.
That is not intended purpose of the wrangler,

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I wish I had, had my camera...but about 6 months ago I stopped at a truck stop and there was a car carrier rig with 6 2016 full size, quad cab, Chevy 3500 pickups. All in the new "digital" camo...Heavy duty steel bumpers, winches, welded antenna mounts, moveable bracket on the top (machine gun mount maybe?), snorkels...on the doors, "U.S. NAVY" "OFFICIAL USE ONLY"...on the huge steel bumpers were unit numbers, I'm guessing ...but awesome looking!

deeker

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

SW Ontario, Canada
Member #

That is not intended purpose of the wrangler,
But to be useful for most military applications they need a vehicle to be able to do more. Don't get me wrong, I love my 4-door Rubicon. It's just not designed for military life.

Lipek

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

But to be useful for most military applications they need a vehicle to be able to do more. Don't get me wrong, I love my 4-door Rubicon. It's just not designed for military life.
You're talking about a completely different vehicle, jeep would only have limited purpose and mostly within specops community.
The vehicle you're thinking of is the next HMMWV replacement and OshKosh won the contract for it.