Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

So I am stuck with which snorkel I get. I have a 2008 JKU. I am trying to do this Jeep with the best parts but also having trouble deciding if I should pay for the extra insurance or not.

I am looking at the AEV snorkel which is a no brainier. Made in the USA with high quality material. Yet it is around $400. I will also probably get the pre-filter too.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/jk-snorkel

Now lately I was watching Ronny Dahl on YouTube and his father is running the Red Rock snorkel on his Jeep. He is in Western Australia and he is always off road with it and in the sun constantly. So my thoughts are it is half the price and seems to work for him. Downfall I see with this snorkel though I don't know where it's manufactured and the quality of the material. Not many reviews out there either.

http://www.extremeterrain.com/jeep-snorkel-jk-sjwjkab.html?utm_content=XT+Engine+and+Performance+-+Intake|RedRock+4x4&utm_campaign=JK - No Years&utm_source=google-pla&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term={keyword}&XTID=J25094

I'm just curious of your guys opinions? Also any experience with either brands?

I know this a serious insurance and don't want to cheap out. But if I can save a buck and know the cheaper brand works well that will make the wife and I happy.

Thank you guys!

Robby

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tulare, Tulare County, California, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Gill
Member #

I also have an 08' JKU and want to put a snorkel on as well...I have been toying with the idea of building my own. Some 2 or 3" PVC and some clamps...I will post some photos if I ever manage to assemble it. I think the hardest part will be taking the actual step of cutting the front quarter-panel. It's not the cut that's the difficult part, but actually making the cut is permanent...lol I prefer bolt on setups but I would just as well save $350 by using my own materials. I know the materials would be pretty simple (10' stick of 2.5" PVC, fittings, a few clamps to secure the pvc, a can of spray bedliner, etc...)

I guess, my point is, I am a bit frugal (cheap) and I prefer to fab my own gear, where I can.

Reactions: scubasteve2002

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I went with the Rugged Ridge Snorkel and it wasn't a bad install at all. It took me about 4hrs and that was with taking breaks and my kids helping and messing around at the same time. Lol. The other little bit I had was cause I was using a small air compressor to cut out the section where the snorkel would go and that took a bit of time also cause I would have to Waite every 5-10 minutes for the compressor to fill back up with air. All in all it wasn't a bad install and the price of $373 wasn't bad at all either plus I think it looks pretty cool. Lol

Reactions: scubasteve2002

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

That came out really nice!
Thanks Robby! I'm trying to see what I did with the picture of the snorkel body installed to post it up. But this is what it would look like for you to see it mounted to the right side passenger quarter panel. Not my pic but it's the same set up.

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

What a trip. That line has a long way to travel before it gets to the intake. My "Homebrew" version would take a more direct path, but wouldn't look nearly as nice.
I know right? Lol. But I'm happy with it and it does it's job. It also has a drain at the lower end of the tube incase of rain so that it doesn't go directly into the intake and you can drain any little water collected from the air pushing in the rain while driving. Next upgrade is the Gobi Stealth Roof Rack, and the Poison Spyder Rockbrawler II rear bumper. Going to save the lift and tires for last.

Last edited:

Robby

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tulare, Tulare County, California, United States
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Gill
Member #

INext upgrade is the Gobi Stealth Roof Rack, and the Poison Spyder Rockbrawler II rear bumper. Going to save the lift and tires for last.
I have the materials for my "homebrew" roof rack already assembled. I am hoping to have that ready for this weekend... EMT conduit and bolts and spray paint...it'll be epic for home made.

Reactions: Jose

Jose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Peoria, AZ
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I have the materials for my "homebrew" roof rack already assembled. I am hoping to have that ready for this weekend... EMT conduit and bolts and spray paint...it'll be epic for home made.
That's cool Robby! Looking to see what you come up with.

scubasteve2002

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Colorado, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Lap
Member #

I went with the Rugged Ridge Snorkel and it wasn't a bad install at all. It took me about 4hrs and that was with taking breaks and my kids helping and messing around at the same time. Lol. The other little bit I had was cause I was using a small air compressor to cut out the section where the snorkel would go and that took a bit of time also cause I would have to Waite every 5-10 minutes for the compressor to fill back up with air. All in all it wasn't a bad install and the price of $373 wasn't bad at all either plus I think it looks pretty cool. Lol

Dang! Nice job! Thanks for the pictures and write up!

Reactions: Jose