Launch Member

Contributor II

Minneapolis, MN, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Williams
Member #

Do any of you Jeep Wrangler owners out there with full sized spare tires ever do a tire rotation? If so, how often and what pattern do you use? Also this might be a dumb question, but after you do a tire rotation do the tires then have to be realigned and weighted?

S

SubeeBen

Always rotate your spare, rule of thumb is with oil changes, not sure of the exact order as I have the dealer do it. Easy YouTube find. & no you do not have to have it re-aligned or balanced as long as your tread wear is good & you haven’t lost a wheel weight from off-roading.hope this helps.

Reactions: MWilliams

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I didn't ever rotate in my spare, since I never had five perfect tires. The spare was always a worn MT, or a plugged MT.

I never rebalance MT's. Balance once when new, and hopefully never again. Sometimes a feathered wear pattern can defeat the balancer, and the tire tech just makes things worse by adding weight.

Alignments on a Wrangler??? String and a camber gauge. I did them myself. Tire shops just pretend to align them.

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I typically rotate my tires every about 6K miles. Like the post above, my spare was always a left over from the previous set so I never did a 5 tire rotation. For pattern I always X the fronts to the back and bring the rears straight forward, that is the recommended method per literature for my Ford and GMC.
As far as balancing, when I was running M/Ts I never had a tire shop mount or balance my tires. Seriously mounting tires is one of those scary sounding things thats actually super easy. For balancing I always went the dynamic rout. Now Im not sure how this would work with tire pressure sensors, but I would try it. If youre not familiar the principles behind dynamic balancing is simple centrifugal force. A loose object inside of the tire once accelerated will naturally gravitate towards the lightest area thus balancing the tire and wheel. The beauty of this is it works at nearly all speeds, on all terrains, at all loads, and with all tire conditions, something static balancing cant come close to. Its also SUPER cheap. I kid you not for a 30" tire youll need about 1000 air soft BBs, thats like $2 from Wal-Mart. For anything with a meaty tread thats much over 33", dynamic is the only way to go. I have even been able to get 40" Super Swampers to balance out using air soft BBs. It may sound super ghetto, but its based on science, just fueled by myself and my buddies being cheap asses, lol.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I do and try to rotate about every 5000km. No need to be weighted again in this dimensions you don't care about the last bit. I searched for patterns and found one that seems to be very common, printed it on a sticker and on the inside of the tailgate.

Yuma_1

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Walker
Member #

Do any of you Jeep Wrangler owners out there with full sized spare tires ever do a tire rotation? If so, how often and what pattern do you use? Also this might be a dumb question, but after you do a tire rotation do the tires then have to be realigned and weighted?
I always do a 5 tire rotation; just personal preference. I also perform the rotation myself. It's very easy (especially with a 5th tire) because you don't need 2 tires off the ground at once. Also, for me, I use this time to inspect brakes, suspension, clean areas (because I'm weird) that are normally blocked by the tire, etc.
I rotate about every 3500 miles, which is probably overkill. But, I've experience an under-rotated MT tire before and it's awful. Just destroys the ride; which doesn't work for me.
The pattern that I use is - Front tires cross to the opposite side in the rear. With incorporating the spare, the Driver Front tire crosses to the rear, ...but becomes the spare. The existing spare becomes the Rear Passenger side tire. Rear tires go straight forward. I only balance if I notice irregular tire wear and I have a shop perform that task.

Jason with Autoedits does a great tire rotation video on YouTube. So does Brad with Trailrecon. I'll leave link to both.

Autoedits
Trailrecon

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
Yes. When I had my duratrac 33” tires I always did a 5tire rotation. I did my rotations/rebalance every 3k miles and those lasted 43k miles and still had life on them when I sold them. When I went to 35” STT Pros, I continued to do every 3k miles rotation/rebalance of all 5 and they’ve been wearing perfect.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I've always done five tire rotations, tires are expensive and if I can get another 15k out of a set of tires i'm glad to have it. I find it helps keep directional wear and cupping mostly in check.