Launch Member

Advocate II

Lewisville, NC, USA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

That puts a new perspective on gear organization. Put it in park and step out to open a gate and your rig goes up in flames.

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
holy cow.....getting ready for a 4 day camping trip next week and this definitely makes me rethink gear organization and storage...
That was crazy!

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

This happened to our first rig, we saved it. It was an old suburban, the rear axle snapped and caught fire burned through the break lines. I had a car full of babies and my wife. Thankfully it was an old all metal body. Freaking terrifying.

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Speculation on my part. If you watch his channel and the videos of the area before the fire, he was driving on roads with dry growth in the center of the road. I have a Jeep and the stock skid plates only offer coverage in critical locations, not full coverage. This creates small shelves under the Jeep that can catch and collect debris. Also, hot areas like the exhaust are left exposed. I think it may have been a combination of those conditions that contributed to the fire. Again, just speculation on my part.

There are cases of Jeep JK models catching fire on paved roads, so I doubt we will ever know the true cause.

Like others mentioned, he should be commended for his cool approach to a very emotional and dangerous situation. Clear example of keeping it together. He did a fantastic job containing the fire and was responsible enough to wait it out through the night to ensure the situation didn't escalate.

ben

chexmix

Rank III

Advocate II

Bay Area
I saw this the other day, and it’s easy for us to arm chair what should have been done better. But he was cool through the ordeal for sure.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Speculation on my part. If you watch his channel and the videos of the area before the fire, he was driving on roads with dry growth in the center of the road. I have a Jeep and the stock skid plates only offer coverage in critical locations, not full coverage. This creates small shelves under the Jeep that can catch and collect debris. Also, hot areas like the exhaust are left exposed. I think it may have been a combination of those conditions that contributed to the fire. Again, just speculation on my part.

There are cases of Jeep JK models catching fire on paved roads, so I doubt we will ever know the true cause.

Like others mentioned, he should be commended for his cool approach to a very emotional and dangerous situation. Clear example of keeping it together. He did a fantastic job containing the fire and was responsible enough to wait it out through the night to ensure the situation didn't escalate.

ben
Your speculation is pretty much what I was thinking too, after seeing his latest video about it (been following his channel for a while). I wasn't necessarily thinking anything had collected, but that there was longer, dry grass under him when he stopped. I've seen similar videos in the past where this exact thing happened. The one that immediately comes to mind was on an episode of Cops when they chased someone through a field and a squad car got stuck (or blocked), and within a minute or so of stopping a fire started. (found it, excuse the poor video quality, all I could quickly find):

Not that I blame him, even having seen it I doubt I would have thought much about it in his shoes.

I agree with your comment on his preparedness. He's always been geared more towards survival and bugging out, which was perfect for him in this scenario. As I recall he always keeps a stocked INCH bag readily accessible, though he was lucky enough to grab even more than just that.

Definitely some things to think about for those of us who have more permanently mounted set-ups, with fridges, drawers, on board water, etc. In this type of scenario, trying to dig through all of your different storage options to grab survival essentials just isn't feasible.

As I move towards more fixed storage (planning to add drawers and already have stuff spread out pretty well in the Jeep), this is something I really need to think about. An easily grabbed emergency bag is probably in order.

Last edited:

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

This also a good point to recognize that the small fire extinguishers many of us carry are really inadequate for suppressing a vehicle fire. All it will really do is buy time. I've heard others refer to these smaller ones as being only good for use on a person who is on fire, and not to bother even using it otherwise. His may have bought him a little time, but it has me thinking about looking for a larger extinguisher.

Craig M

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Haslet, Texas, USA
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I haven't been able to research this yet, but wondering if an extinguisher like this would be better or not. They are a clean agent unit, and I believe they work by displacing oxygen.

https://www.h3rperformance.com/halguard_products.htm

ben
I believe people have been using halon systems in racing vehicle applications for some time. A big benefit is they don't leave the mess and or destroy parts no otherwise impacted by the fire. Important for high cost off highway vehicles that aren't traditionally insured.

Definitely worth looking into.. Glad you brought it up!

Reactions: Boort

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I carry three 2 lb'ers and now I think I need a 5lb or two. All new fuel infected rigs have gas at very high pressures. It is important to fuse any added electrical components.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Ok, so halon extinguishers are banned in europe, because they are not only killing the fire... So take care and a deep breath before engaging this one ... You don't want this in your lungs!
When a fire happens the thing that counts is saving lifes not vehicles!
I recommend training with extinguishers... I took part in some first response fire trainings and it really helps.

Reactions: Craig M

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
This is why we prepare. You can replace your stuff but not your life. Always keep emergency supplies with you when traveling to remote areas.

Great story and very good learning resource! Sorry about the loss of your vehicle

armourbl

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

Ok, so halon extinguishers are banned in europe, because they are not only killing the fire... So take care and a deep breath before engaging this one ... You don't want this in your lungs!
When a fire happens the thing that counts is saving lifes not vehicles!
I recommend training with extinguishers... I took part in some first response fire trainings and it really helps.
Yes, Halon is dangerous stuff. You don't want to be in a confined space and use an extinguisher with Halon agent. It will completely displace the oxygen in the space, and the chemical is bad for you. It can kill you.

That being said, if I was going to purchase one of these units, I'd also be carrying a normal extinguisher as well to use mainly for on a person or within a confined space (inside a vehicle) occupied by people.

In the video, I believe a Halon extinguisher would have been safe to use. Hard to say if it would have made any difference or not in saving the vehicle. While saving the vehicle wouldn't necessarily be the priority, containing the fire certainly would be.

ben

Last edited:
Reactions: Craig M

Seth Vernon

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Seth
Last Name
Vernon
Member #

So does anyone know what caused the fire? I agree w Ben above mentioning all the dry sagebrush etc. he’d been driving a long time.