Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pleasant View, Tennessee, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
Gensheimer
Member #

Would love to see other Jeep Wrangler builds and what you guys did for storage! These are photos when I first got my Jeep, I’ll post of the changes over the last two years!

Attachments

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

You are really limited when it comes to having a soft top. I love having a roof rack so I can keep my interior reasonably empty for my dogs. In a perfect world I'd have a Goose Gear platform and a DeepSleep mattress.

Still in the budget for next year is an overland style trailer. 5x10' for me. Thats where all my stuff would go when traveling.

Current setup

20200819_150833_HDR.jpg

Dgensheimer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
David
Last Name
Gensheimer
Member #

You are really limited when it comes to having a soft top. I love having a roof rack so I can keep my interior reasonably empty for my dogs. In a perfect world I'd have a Goose Gear platform and a DeepSleep mattress.

Still in the budget for next year is an overland style trailer. 5x10' for me. Thats where all my stuff would go when traveling.

Current setup

View attachment 176778
I agree 100%, space is limited for my dog and wife. I struggle because I enjoy rock crawling and the freedom of taking the soft top off so easily out in the field. But I am so limited on what I can carry. I am leaning towards a trailer.

I totally want the goose gear platform as well. Your

Jeep looks great! What rims and tires are you running? Are you tent camping right now?

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Nice Jeep. Here's my 2013. I did gusseted axles with 4.56 gears and lockers & 4" lift. We needed room for 2 dogs so here's what I put together to store everything. I built a storage box for the back that we can put a cooler and gear on top of and doubles as a prep area with cutting boards when cooking on the tailgate table. Ridgeline rollbar bags work great for storing clothes and are waterproof and removable. If you need to use the back seat like we do, you figure out how to use every nook and cranny to store gear.

Attachments

Dgensheimer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
David
Last Name
Gensheimer
Member #

Nice Jeep. Here's my 2013. I did gusseted axles with 4.56 gears and lockers & 4" lift. We needed room for 2 dogs so here's what I put together to store everything. I built a storage box for the back that we can put a cooler and gear on top of and doubles as a prep area with cutting boards when cooking on the tailgate table. Ridgeline rollbar bags work great for storing clothes and are waterproof and removable. If you need to use the back seat like we do, you figure out how to use every nook and cranny to store gear.
That is an awesome get up! I really like the storage area in the back, the drawer system is badass. How long did it take you to build?
What kind of dogs do you guys have? And what kind of trips do you guys normally take in the Jeep?

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

That is an awesome get up! I really like the storage area in the back, the drawer system is badass. How long did it take you to build?
What kind of dogs do you guys have? And what kind of trips do you guys normally take in the Jeep?

Thanks, I love my Jeep. I also have a lifted Ram but the Jeep has become my go to unless we are hauling a bunch of stuff or towing a heavy trailer. I wish I had gotten a JK sooner.

The drawer system took me a little over a week in my spare time to build. Here's the build thread if you are interested:

We have a mini blue heeler and a heeler/border collie cross.

As far as trips, overnighters or 2 nighters in the desert or on a river or lake. Some week trips to fly fish eastern and southern Oregon. If it's just me and one dog, I usually tent it and live out of the Jeep. For longer this is the trailer that I built for longer trips.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dgensheimer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
David
Last Name
Gensheimer
Member #

Thanks, I love my Jeep. I also have a lifted Ram but the Jeep has become my go to unless we are hauling a bunch of stuff or towing a heavy trailer. I wish I had gotten a JK sooner.

The dawer system it took me a little over a week in my spare time to build. Here's the build thread if you are interested:

We have a mini blue heeler and a heeler/border collie cross.

As far as trips, overnighters or 2 nighters in the desert or on a river or lake. Some week trips to fly fish eastern and southern Oregon. If it's just me and one dog, I usually tent it and live out of the Jeep. For longer his is the trailer that I built for longer trips.

I’ll be checking that drawer system out/trying to build it! Ya, it’s a super nice set up, and the trailer is awesome as well! I can learn a thing or two from you! Haha

Reactions: 472HemiGTX

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

I agree 100%, space is limited for my dog and wife. I struggle because I enjoy rock crawling and the freedom of taking the soft top off so easily out in the field. But I am so limited on what I can carry. I am leaning towards a trailer.

Jeep looks great! What rims and tires are you running? Are you tent camping right now?
When its just me or me and my biggest dog (175lb Great Dane/Bull Mastiff) we sleep in the back of the Jeep. If its my wife and the other dogs, then we tent. Buying an overland trailer next year. Leave it fully loaded to just hook up and leave.

The wheels are AEV Saltas with 35/10.5/17 Kenda Klever R/T's. Saltas are bulletproof and the tires I like because they are 10.5's, not 12.5'x. An excellent all around tire. R/T is a hybrid between A/T and M/T which is becoming more and more popular. There are about 8-10 manufacturers making them right now. Toyo being the biggest. Kenda being lesser known but the design, weight and 1.5" width are uber popular with overlanders at the moment.

Dgensheimer

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

First Name
David
Last Name
Gensheimer
Member #

When its just me or me and my biggest dog (175lb Great Dane/Bull Mastiff) we sleep in the back of the Jeep. If its my wife and the other dogs, then we tent. Buying an overland trailer next year. Leave it fully loaded to just hook up and leave.

The wheels are AEV Saltas with 35/10.5/17 Kenda Klever R/T's. Saltas are bulletproof and the tires I like because they are 10.5's, not 12.5'x. An excellent all around tire. R/T is a hybrid between A/T and M/T which is becoming more and more popular. There are about 8-10 manufacturers making them right now. Toyo being the biggest. Kenda being lesser known but the design, weight and 1.5" width are uber popular with overlanders at the moment.
Good set up brother!

Reactions: USStrongman

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
Traded in the Sherpa (2018 JKU) on Smokey Bear (2020 JLUR) I e only had it a month, but the build is coming along nicely.

Mopar 2.0 lift (I netted 3.4 inches of true, measured lift) w/ Fox shocks

AEV Pintlers (17’s) wrapped with 37’ Pats

Fabtech internal cargo rack (LED mounted on bottom)

ARB 37 qt fridge/freezer on an Amazon slider, LED light mounted on hardtop rear glass

Springtail Solutions MPAC tailgate table (for what it’s worth- I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS TABLE!!!!) it’s perfectly solid and perfectly quiet.

Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD hinge and tire mount. Teraflex didn’t have their new Alpha hinge out yet :(

Midland handheld CB (my local club still uses CB heavily) UV-5R GMRS/ham
Bulletproof phone/GoPro mount

Future tidbits: Jeepuniq CB/Baofung mount for the oh shit handle.
Teraflex Hi-lift mount (yes, I’m old school and like bringing my silly old farm jack with me!)
Removable roof rack (I don’t want to do a back bone as I won’t be in a RTT. Just need one for additional storage on longer excursions. RECOMMENDATIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Lighting: I have the LED option on the rig, which is fantastic- but I need to address rock lights and possibly a couple bumper mounted pods or a-pillar mounts.

Anyway- this Jeep is my ultimate dream Jeep. It only took like 14 or so others before I got it!

Cheers,

Kühn

Attachments

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Traded in the Sherpa (2018 JKU) on Smokey Bear (2020 JLUR) I e only had it a month, but the build is coming along nicely.

Mopar 2.0 lift (I netted 3.4 inches of true, measured lift) w/ Fox shocks

AEV Pintlers (17’s) wrapped with 37’ Pats

Fabtech internal cargo rack (LED mounted on bottom)

ARB 37 qt fridge/freezer on an Amazon slider, LED light mounted on hardtop rear glass

Springtail Solutions MPAC tailgate table (for what it’s worth- I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS TABLE!!!!) it’s perfectly solid and perfectly quiet.

Rugged Ridge Spartacus HD hinge and tire mount. Teraflex didn’t have their new Alpha hinge out yet :(

Midland handheld CB (my local club still uses CB heavily) UV-5R GMRS/ham
Bulletproof phone/GoPro mount

Future tidbits: Jeepuniq CB/Baofung mount for the oh shit handle.
Teraflex Hi-lift mount (yes, I’m old school and like bringing my silly old farm jack with me!)
Removable roof rack (I don’t want to do a back bone as I won’t be in a RTT. Just need one for additional storage on longer excursions. RECOMMENDATIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Lighting: I have the LED option on the rig, which is fantastic- but I need to address rock lights and possibly a couple bumper mounted pods or a-pillar mounts.

Anyway- this Jeep is my ultimate dream Jeep. It only took like 14 or so others before I got it!

Cheers,

Kühn
Very nice Jeep! I'm a second on the Springtail tailgate table, It works really well and no rattles.

Reactions: Smokey_Bear_JLUR