Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

I got this Grand Cherokee back in high school, 7 1/2 years ago, because I thought it looked good. I never had plans of making it anything more than a daily driver. But then I saw you could mod the WK to make it look cooler, so that was my goal for a few years. Eventually that included a lift in the summer of 2016. I was slowly beginning to think about offroading, but I didn't think much about overlanding in my Jeep until I had a breakdown in the summer of 2019 (front diff bushings gone bad = new front CV axles and front driveshaft). The good thing about this breakdown was it led me to NutHouse industries, a local and high quality offroad and overlanding shop. I started scheming in fall of 2019, and in winter/spring 2020 I had upgraded rear suspension components installed, and torsen/worm gear limited slip in the rear to go with a gear upgrade from 3.07 to 4.11s. At home I was able to complete my goal of armoring as much of the underbody as possible with parts available on the market, as well as a front bumper trim. I was quick to scheming again, this time with help from the NutHouse staff. We put our heads together and improved upon a spare tire carrier idea off of Jeep forum as well as adding an aluminum storage compartment that takes the space of the factory spare tire. At this time, I also opted to increase tire size and decrease wheel size, going with AEV pintlers and 295/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs. In November, I finally got my Gobi rack in from an order back in March, and installed it just in time for a weekend trip to the Kentucky Adventure Trail in early December 2020, my first overlanding trip. The jeep performed extremely well, but left some room for performance upgrades.

That was the down and dirty history of my WK. If you really want the in depth story, here's the JeepFroum thread (specifically the page of the KAT documentation). From now on, I'll be posting updates to both at the same times.

20201121_104519.jpg20201204_143041.jpg20201204_145249.jpg20201205_112921.jpg20201206_110947.jpg20201206_114643.jpg20201206_165920.jpg

So, here's the build parts list:
  • 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Drivetrain:
  • 3.7, V6, 4x4, QT1 = no selectable transfer case/4 low :(
  • AFE CAI, 4.7L TB, HP tuner
  • Yukon 4.11s
  • rear nitro torsen limited slip
Suspension:
  • 4 inch lift w/ no diff drop
  • Front:
    • bilstein 5100s at 1.5" setting
    • OME MD coil springs
    • JBA UCAs
    • sway bar removed
  • Rear:
    • Superlift 4 inch coils
    • King 2.0 10" travel shocks
    • Core 4x4 level 3 adjustable upper control arms
    • Core 4x4 level 3 adjustable lower control arms
    • Core 4x4 level 3 adjustable track bar
    • sway bar removed
Armor:
  • 4xGuard matrix front bumper
  • 4xGuard front skid
  • 4xGuard engine skid
  • 4xGuard belly skid
  • 4xGuard rear skid
  • OEM fuel skid
  • TSA rock sliders
  • TSA transfer case skid plate adapter
  • OEM transfer case skid plate
  • Nitro rear diff cover
Wheels/tires
  • AEV Pintlers gray, 17x8.5, 5.2" backpacing
  • Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs 295/70/17
Exterior:
  • NutHouse Industries custom spare carrier
  • rear license plate relocation
  • Gobi rack
  • Gobi ladder
  • maxtrax mounts on Gobi rack
  • Gobi hilift mount
  • Gobi axe/shovel mount
  • rotopax mounts on Gobi rack
  • brake line extensions
  • pinch weld mods
  • rigid spot pods on TSA hood mounts
Interior:
  • SRT8: seats, gauge cluster, radio/climate control trim
  • MPS rear window modular panels
  • Baofeng handheld radio mount/mic mount
  • TSA light switch panel
  • 10" deep storage compartment under trunk insert
  • TSA locking center console

New parts in March:
  • RCV front axles
  • Moog problem solver tie rods (inner + outer)
  • 12v outlet for rear seat Jackery 300 hookup
  • heater core leak, replacement
Future planned mods
  • rear fender internal trim
  • KC lights
  • TSA hidden winch w/ superwinch 10k
  • Cutting and welding front wheel wells for clearance (slight rub at full lock)

Last edited:

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

Since my last youtube video was so dang long, I remade the video with a lot shorter run time and only in daylight. Still no audio, but I bought a GoPro that will be with me the next trip. Also the Jeep will be going back to the NutHouse soon for some more upgrades on essential parts, stay tuned.

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

Awesome looking WK. Before my Frontier, I had an '05 4x4 V8 Laredo. It was a fun truck with quite a bit of support for a unibody design.
Thanks! And there really is a decent amount of aftermarket support for what it is, but some things can still be hard to find sadly. The V8 is a good one to have!

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Good looking WK! I think the grand Cherokee (zj,wj,wk,wkII) make great off road/overland rigs but are often overlooked so it's nice to see another one getting built.

Reactions: Armor_LG

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

Good looking WK! I think the grand Cherokee (zj,wj,wk,wkII) make great off road/overland rigs but are often overlooked so it's nice to see another one getting built.
Thanks! I know there are more capable rigs but this one does what I need it to do and I just like the way it looks and feels

MrWilsonWJ

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kennewick, WA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

I've always liked the look of the WK as well, almost bought one years ago but ended up with a Ram 1500. And recently when I was planning what to build a WK was on the list of what I was looking for, but got the WJ instead as I wanted a little more off road ability.

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

I've always liked the look of the WK as well, almost bought one years ago but ended up with a Ram 1500. And recently when I was planning what to build a WK was on the list of what I was looking for, but got the WJ instead as I wanted a little more off road ability.
Thats solid front makes it a better option, probably with better aftermarket support too. Good choice!

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

RCVs and Moog problem solver tie rods (inner + outer) finally on. From this point, the build is mostly going to be maintenance, maybe a hidden winch and some lighting changes too. But that marks the end of the major mods, and the WK is pretty much final form. At this point, my goals are gear and saving to finish my masters degree, and get a new daily to keep the miles off since I'm over 130k now. Next plan is to tackle the surface rust on the matrix and sliders the right way; primer, clear coat, the whole 9.

188539366_3882540685115353_3186764161403912921_n.jpg188131729_3882541058448649_4580948794313719152_n.jpg188875626_3882541561781932_46517837163884253_n.jpg

Last edited:

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

Decided to switch up the mounting of the hi-lift jack to center of the Gobi rack. With the cost of the tent I wanted going up $100, I figured I'd be best off sleeping in my jeep consistently and bringing a hammock/bug net for nice nights outdoor sleeping. This freed up the space on the rack for the jack. On the passengers side, the axe/shovel mount will continue to stay. I'm looking at doing the 23Zero 180 awning on the driver's side to create more of a protected camp area from tailgate to driver side of the vehicle. The rear of the 180 awning should overlap the tailgate when raised providing continuous coverage from rain or sun. I know it's not a super large surface area of coverage, but its enough for me and can be beneficial for extended coverage at the right angles with sunlight or rain and wind. For the hi-lift mount, I took 10mm 2.5" bolts (same as the gobi mounts) and bolted them to the rack and added the spacer for the gobi setup on top. This allows me to continue using the locking knobs while keeping the side of the rack open.

20210929_191558.jpg20210929_191631.jpg20210929_191714.jpg20210929_191718.jpg20210929_192835.jpg

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

Recently installed the HK Offroad trunk rack for better storage management. I had to move up my med kit and fire extinguisher on the side panels to make sure they were still easily accessible. All in all, very easy install. Just need 10x 1"x1" square caps, and 4x 3/8th-16 3" bolts. It will be painted when its warmer and less windy

20220305_125555.jpg20220305_125601.jpg20220305_125608.jpg20220305_125616.jpg20220305_125816.jpg20220305_130903.jpg20220305_130936.jpg20220305_130949.jpg

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Nice job overall. :hearteyes: I just picked up a 2005 WK and am sorting out what to do with it. Among other things the storage compartment where the spare used to be is a great idea.

Last edited:

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

Nice job overall. :hearteyes: I just picked up a 2005 WK and am sorting out what to do with it. Among other things the storage compartment where the spare used to be is a great idea.
Thanks! There are a lot of good options for that space; on-board air, storage box, auxiliary fuel tank, etc. A drawer system can be nice too but in my opinion it isn't as practical when daily driving.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Nice build, cool to see a WK1 build. I have some HK stuff on my WJ too, Bash is always great to work with.

-TJ

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

Over the summer I did end up cleaning up the rust on my sliders, as well as the frame rails as well while I was under there. Some signs of rust are already beginning to show on the rock sliders, so I think it will become a never ending recurring battle. Since then, I've moved into an apartment, started a new job, and have generally not had the time or funds to do much on the WK.

20220621_182257.jpg 20220621_183618.jpg

One thing I decided was important to do was re-add a sway bar to the front. I went with an Addco sway bar with Rubicon express adjustable quick disconnects. Overall not too painful of an experience. I did have to widen the mounting ends of the Addco sway bar to fit the Rubicon express hardware, as well as re-tap/re-thread the LCA sway bar link mounting points to except the Rubicon Express QD hardware as well. On the LCAs, the Rubicon Express expects you to place a bolt on the rear of the mount, but our LCAs do not have the room to allow for this, so it is simply direct threaded into the LCA. Lots of loctite was used as insurance it is a very noticeable difference when cornering, feels very stable. I will add some pictures in the next few dats to make this explanation more clear.

The next thing I would like to do at this point is install a hidden winch to replace my damaged crossmember at the front. I have my sights set on the HK Offroad version as it appears to be the most stout, and has the support to be the base of a future bumper build, but there is an issue. it does not appear that the HK Offroad hidden winch system will work with the JBA matrix system. After mulling it over, and looking at pictures of course, I have decided to abandon the JBA Matrix system in lieu of the HK hidden winch system.

20190417_204751.jpg 20201206_170114.jpg

With that being said, I am going to be selling the JBA Matrix system. This is a total package I will not split up, including JBA base, front hitch, and hoop. Only modifications have been coats of anti-rust and bedliner paint, which were last touched up in the summer, and holes drilled for 20" light bar mounting. FYI this is a discontinued product, and cost around $500 when all new. $300 OBO, I would prefer not to ship, and am happy to meet in the middle.

www.jeepforum.com

WK/XK 2005-2010 JBA Matrix System w/ front hoop & hitch
This is a total package I will not split up. Includes: JBA Matrix system base JBA Matrix front hitch bar JBA front hoop #4 Modifications: -touching up paint with coats of anti-rust and bedliner paint. Last touched up in the summer -holes drilled for 20" light bar mounting Has been proven to...
www.jeepforum.com
www.jeepforum.com

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

The JBA matrix sold fast and it’s time to look into getting the HK Off-road hidden winch with tow points. I’m still on the fence about getting the hitch in the front because I didn’t utilize the JBA one much at all, and it would be a good cost saving measure. The recovery points are a must either way. Having pulled off the JBA matrix, the Jeep had a new look, which was refreshing. I’m on the fence about getting a new OEM lower bumper from a scrapyard to cut up seeing the gap from when a light bar was mounted to the matrix, but that will be a decision for down the road.

F2C3DA82-ED5C-4051-9964-E8B938FFACDD.jpeg EDC3E9E0-805E-4400-8CEB-BA83697D5CF3.jpeg 6709F4BA-410E-44D7-91D9-9DCAC277169F.jpeg

Another fun problem revealed itself in the process. My radiator fan has died. I tried to hot wire the fan to the battery to get it to at least run, and work backwards to find the problem, but directly wired to the battery the fan still didn’t move. So, time for a new fan from a brand name I recognize, or maybe scrapyard.

Armor_LG

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Cincinnati, Ohio
First Name
Luke
Last Name
Glischinski
Member #

Here is my last 10 months summed up in 1 post. A lot more happened than I remember:

From December to June, I had been through a bit of vehicular hell. It started with my daily getting broken into, and the vandals did about $6k in damage to the front and rear passenger doors from their fight against my laminated glass just to steal a knife, a pair of sunglasses, and throw my dashcam. Luckily insurance covered all of that. About a month later, my daily got rear-ended in the snow and another $3k in damage was done to the rear bumper, but the other driver's insurance covered it. Around the same time, I was driving my WK through snowy traffic that came to a standstill. after some time parked on the interstate, my WK gave me the engine over temp light. I killed it, and because the temp needle was all the way to the right and not going down, I then decided to purge the radiator and let the hot coolant out. the temp went down to about 3/4 right and I ended up getting it towed to my mechanic. Water pump and radiator fan had failed in the standstill and had to be replaced.

Once my daily was in the shop to get repaired (2 months), I was daily driving my WK and started to really pay attention to all the different noises. There was a clicking on the driver's front with acceleration in turns, a front vibration, and a front humming noise, as well as the usual rear-end knocking and an overly soft rear suspension. The clunk from accelerating even came back. Once I got my daily back, I took my WK to my offroad shop to have all of these issues evaluated. Turns out the WK needed new front LCA ball joints and bushings, front wheel hubs and wheel bearings bilaterally, front differential bushings, and front driver side spider gears in the differentials for axle play in the diff. After reassembly, a bit of clicking remained a turns, although less, indicating some wear of the driver's side inner CV. My shop spoke with RCV, and the axles are warrantied at failure, not wear. I spoke with the shop and they agreed with my mild to moderate overland style use, there should not be any issue. I am planning on going back in 2-3 years regardless to have the inner CV rebuilt. In the rear, King shocks turned out to be air shocks that were pretty low on air. Once it was determined there was no leak, the shop filled them with air and now the rear end ride is significantly improved. Additionally, the shop cleaned up the contact area between the rear axle and rear subframe from the trunk so there is no more contact. There is a significant decrease in the clunking noise with these improvements as well.

Since then, I've also added Rubicon Express QD sway bar links to the front with front and rear Addco sway bars, as well as custom length BWoody sway bar links in the rear. The QD links required a bit of modification, specifically rethreading the LCA sway bar mounting points to the specified thread of the QD mount (can be provided upon request). The reason I went with stiffer sway bars can be explained in the video below. Overall, the WK is running as good as it ever has after all this work. Bash let me know my hidden winch has been shipped, so once it comes in, it'll get a few coats of paint before install, and finally a superwinch. From that point, the remaining mechanical modifications is a short list, with more to do regarding overland/camping setup. The Gazelle T4 Overland tent fits perfectly on top of a Gobi rack, by the way. I had discussed adding a cooking table to the rear swing arm with my shop, but with everything else that needed to be addressed, that was put on the backburner.

IMG_3386.jpeg IMG_3387.jpeg

In July, I took a quick trip in the Daniel Boone National Forest with my girlfriend and dog. The focus was on camping and hiking, also getting her comfortable with going offroad. Overall it was fairly successful. The forecast called for rain all Saturday, so I made the last minute decision to call my local overland shop and they had some 23Zero awnings in stock. I was able to pick it up and get it installed later Friday before leaving Saturday morning. It was a fairly straight forward install and bolts on securely. At camp, the awning really pulled the whole setup together, and made my girlfriend question why I hadn't gotten one sooner.

The jeep performed well, but the coil spring isolators are going bad in the rear, and made a hell of a racket going through bumps with a mild amount of speed. The AC also took a poorly timed ****, and we had to drive with the windows down for the 400 miles total we travelled. With how simple it was to find a trail on Gaia, pack, drive 2-2.5 hours, and get a bit of hiking, camping, and offroading together, we agreed to begin doing these kind of weekend trips to Kentucky a bit more often.

The Gazelle tent was an easy setup and tear down, and it kept in a decent amount of heat with the rain fly on which gives us confidence about camping in colder weather. The Camp King stove had some killer burners and cooked easily. Still a bit of a learning curve making coffee at camp. Biggest disappointment was the amount of trash left behind at the campsite. It was mostly alcohol containers, fireworks, and spent ammunition, which makes me think locals. I cleaned up a bit here and there but it was far more that I could fit with what I had packed.

Overall, there is not much I would change about my setup. The awning and tent on the roof were not significantly noisy, and provided for a good camp. I will certainly need some more lighting, mostly scene lighting for camp and some reverse lights. I am not a big fan of night offroading so I likely won't be dropping a lot on a fancy lightbar. Beyond that we could only identify little odds and ends we missed out on, like a flyswatter.

IMG_3566.jpeg IMG_3559.jpeg IMG_7801.jpeg

August hidden winch install I had been working on. Hit the hidden winch mount with a bit of 220 sand paper to get the surface oxidization before 2 coats of this paint, 1 whole can for each side.

IMG_3732.jpeg IMG_3734.jpeg

Labor day weekend was a good one. I spent Saturday and Sunday on parts of the Kentucky Adventure Trail with some buddies, and ended up camping on Pine Mountain near the Virginia border. Ironically, it wasn't until Monday after the trip that I got the hidden winch mount and Superwinch installed.

20230903_111820_Original.JPG 20230903_111733_Original.JPG 20230903_110500_Original.JPG20230902_213252_Original.JPG

All things considered, the install was not as challenging as I anticipated it being. The directions on the HK website more or less cover it all. After stripping the grill and bumper off, you break out the sawzall and hack off the old front crossmember. After that, you clean up the old metal edges for a clean tight fit, and add a coat of paint to the exposed metal to prevent corrosion.

373483288_1361180228142071_5829260406636214582_n.jpg 373474324_809416434002858_7788305278709447948_n.jpg

Next, mount the hidden winch via sandwich plates in the frame rails. You will have to drill out the farthest back bolt for mounting, which is something I did not find to be as clear in the instructions. Mount up the hidden winch with the front 4 bolts (2 each sire), then mark each rear slot for drilling. There are also 2 perpendicular bolts on either side through "bunny ear" tabs that require drilling into the frame rail. This was not a difficult process, so long as you have a good set of drill bits. After that, you have to straighten out the bottom legs of the hood latch support to mount to the hidden winch extension tabs. Not a difficult task if you have a table vice, otherwise Bash recommends using the hidden winch mount itself to bend the ends straight.

372038870_327859479767058_1645983280439906598_n.jpg 375200003_1325785015029988_2946740473977602441_n.jpg

From here you just tighten everything down and throw a coat of paint over any remaining exposed metal. Once that is taken care of, you can drop in the winch and begin the fitment process.

373462077_281487958035204_9131149634295538129_n.jpg

The SX10SR Superwinch dropped right into the mounting holes. First thing, the temp sensor has to be relocated, so I secured the wiring to the back of the winch mount and bolted the sensor to a radiator support bracket on the passenger's side. The winch control box was too tall to be on top of the winch due to contact with the grill, so I attempted to drill in self tapping screws into the hood latch supports, but the provided screws were too short. I opted for zip ties instead and feel I have a secured result. From there was wiring. The negative wire has to be attached to the terminal on the rear of the winch, and the positive wire comes attached. I ran both wires across the winch mount, up through the driver's side headlight cavity, and around each side of the battery tray. I went under the positive side of the battery with the positive cable to avoid contact with a radiator hose in the way. I had a friend recommend an Anderson switch to cutoff power and prevent parasitic draw, but I have not gotten there at this point. Ideally, I would connect this to one of my unused rocker switches on the driver's cubbie.

Once the winch was tested and proven to be functional, I moved to trimming the bumper around it. This winch comes with a wireless remote, so I opted to not cut a hole for the wired remote. If a situation comes where I will need to use the wired remote, I will just have to pop out the grill with the 6 tabs and then it is easily accessible. The other consideration was clutch engagement. I also opted to not cut a hole, but rather leave the winch engaged and use the "out" function on the remote to unspool the winch. Again, just 6 tabs to remove the grill and I can easily access it. Because my bumper had been cut for a lightbar before, I had different options I could take. 1: cut all the way around the toe hooks for 1 big opening, or 2: cut just around the tow hooks and not enlarge the opening. I opted for option 2 due to more plastic support for the bumper shape. It was a process of cutting, test fitting, cutting more, test fitting, and cutting more until I got it right. Eventually it slid on far enough back and I decided to button it back up. Only 1 more relief cut was needed to get the hooks onto the mount, but it looks nice and flat now.

373284978_726875959245863_2349572797224851229_n.jpg 373465973_645651797698120_3212683121948403642_n.jpg

Once the grill was on, the hood release from the cabin was not properly working. It seems the hood is not able to go 100% of the way down as it was previously, but is able to go down enough to being locked. I went back and made sure the hood latch was mounted as high as possible, tightened it back down, and it has just enough room to work the proper way now. it is a tight fit against the grill, but it is a fit. Bash had mentioned possible extended hood latch brackets if it was not working, but for now it’s not necessary.

373000939_1418157602061058_2969455554864811519_n.jpg 373490412_6403553899742523_4193837897818377772_n.jpg

All in all, this was probably a 5-6 hour process. The frame rail caps, bumper shaping plastic support piece, and crossmember all become scrap. The front end does not seem to be sagging with 5100s and OME MD coils. I am satisfied with the look and presumed functionality, as well as improved strength this product provides, and I am looking forward to using it in the future.

Earlier this month, It appeared the winch unveiled my 145k mile alternator’s wear, so the Jeep ended up dead for about a weak. Having had my eye on upgrading my alternator in the past, I figured no time like the present. I settled for a Mechman 240 amp alternator, sending 110 amps at idle. This is certainly an upgrade from the 160 amp alternator that came with the 3.7, and should do a better job of supporting the winch. Being in an apartment, I did not have a trickle charger. With that in mind, no surprise my battery went with it. Luckily my battery was still in warranty, so I got a new yellow top as well. The install was fairly straightforward and got the Jeep back up and running. I did not upgrade the wiring as of now, needing to move the Jeep sooner rather than later at the time of repair. Something to consider for the future. Certainly a smaller pulley on the new alternator as well.

IMG_0146.jpeg IMG_0147.jpeg

And that's it! I think next is going to be winch power management. The driver's arm LCA ate another sway bar link bolt, so I think I'm going to call it quits on the front sway bar idea. Anyone need a good think WK front sway bar? Some science indicates it may be best to go without a front sway bar overall on an IFS rig.
Articulation vs Sway Bar

Reactions: MrWilsonWJ and PCO6