Jeep WJ question!!

• HTML tutorial

CondorWJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sacramento
Member #

I have a 99 WJ and have a chance at getting some good Rubicon Express lift springs for a great price. The problem is they’re for a Jeep TJ, the seller told me they’ll fit if using the TJ spring isolators. I’ve never heard of this and google let me down with forums popping up just saying “don’t do it, it won’t work” and others saying it works. Just looking for some input.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
In a previous life I had a Rubicon TJ and learned long ago that "good Rubicon Express springs" is an oxymoron. There are many manufactures of suspension components that just do not cut the proverbial mustard. Your WJ is easily 1,000 lbs heavier than a TJ and has a much larger payload capacity. I'm sure the springs will fit, but most guys in the jeep world have swapped them the other way around and use WJ springs in the TJ. If on the other hand, you are looking for a reduction in your carrying capacity, then go for it. Personally I'd run away from Rubicon Express products with my hair on fire. Their products are target marketed towards the weekend warrior crowd and simply are not suited for overland style vehicles. Just my very humble opinion based upon decades of doing these things.

CondorWJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sacramento
Member #

Thanks good to know. This is actually my first Jeep, I’ve always been a Toyota guy. I had no idea rubicon express were junk, obviously seen them around but come to think of it, never seen em out on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
[QUOTE= This is actually my first Jeep, I’ve always been a Toyota guy.

How do you do that? I mean, whoa, just how did that happen?

Oh yes, in the jeep world there are a plethora of aftermarket products meant for the street machine, (ie; mallcrawler) that if used off of the pavement much at all will fail miserably. Thankfully in the Toyota world there just aren't any bad apples that stay in business for very long. The Toyota elitist might claim that yota guys are a more discerning consumer of aftermarket 4WD parts, but I think it is strictly a numbers game. There must be between 30 to 40 companies that make aftermarket jeep specific products. And that doesn't count the plethora of cottage businesses that specialize in building and marketing one or two parts. In Yotaland there may be 5 to 10 companies total, that specialize in the manufacturing and marketing of Toyota specific 4WD aftermarket parts. Then there are the crossover suppliers that market generic things like racks, storage systems, winches etc. Gotta watch them too. For me it says a lot when a bad personal review cannot be found on a product.

Good luck with your venture into the dark side. LOL

CondorWJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sacramento
Member #

Well, about 10-12 years ago I was huge into rock crawling, built a couple 90-91 4runners and had those for a while, I’m also a big hunter and those rigs weren’t all that practical for driving deep into the forest and hauling a deer out so I picked up a 79 Toyota pickup 4x4 and I would love out of that thing for a week at time while hunting throughout the year and that’s when I got bit by the overland bug. Well, I couldn’t ever take the family out with me being it was a single cab and I sold it, fast forward about a 3-4 year hiatus from off-roading and even very minimal hunting due to family reasons. I was on the prowl for a new rig and actually looking at 4Runners when I got a stock 99 WJ from a friend, great condition, clean inside and out, just about everything rebuilt on it and best part is I got it for next to nothing so here we are!

Reactions: MOAK

CondorWJ

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Sacramento
Member #

It’s a 4.0. Got the typical valve cover leak but I’m a tech for a ford dealer so I’ve been bringing it in every chance I get and tying up the odds and ends while I stockpile all the new parts for the suspension, for shocks, steering stabilizer, and spring isolaters, like I was saying earlier, springs and such are next.

Reactions: MOAK

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Not an answer, as you already have the info needed, but OME was not a bad spring for me and neither are my current Clayton 4.5 HD.

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

If you got any WJ questions I am pretty well versed at this point. What I don't know I can point you in the right direction.

I've messed with my suspension too much and wished I had done it all the first go round. For some reason I replaced every single control arm bushing and then decided to just get new arms. Don't be like me lol