Jeep Wave is dead. Now introducing the Overland Wave!!

• HTML tutorial

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Last edited:

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
im not one that likes to call attention to things...but, when i was working overseas, i could swear this was the universal symbol for "proctologist"...

1697328124486.png

• Haha
Reactions: Murphy Slaw

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@grubworm No, don't tell them that! You're supposed to watch and laugh!

My ma lived near the Canadian border growing up and told me that some of her contemporaries from the Great White North had to get used to seeing that sign back in the '70s because "Peace!" to Americans meant "F*** You!" to every one else.

• Haha
Reactions: JJbyrd and grubworm

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Due to all the yuppies buying JK/JKU's and dragging them through the 4WD Parts catalog and becoming "elite" or snobbish I don't wave first anymore, it is not worth the effort. Jeep wave is now dead and the "Overland Wave" is now alive!! (I am the originator of that phrase! lol) If you have a modified overland rig or cool rig of any brand, I wave. IMO the Jeep wave, at least in its original form is now dead. It has become that there are too many "snobs" thinking their mall crawling JK makes them more elite than a WJ-XJ-ETC....

So, I propose this:
You see ANY vehicle set up for Overland/Expedition, WAVE!!! And not some half-assed wave, I mean hang out your window and wave at them!! They clearly put the time and work into building it, it should be recognized. The wave is no longer vehicle/model/make specific, it is universal between Overlanders.

Now, Overlanders- GO OUT AND GET YOUR WAVE ON!

JB,
Out.
My wife and I were coming back from a trip to visit our son in St. John's a few years ago, another Patriot was coming towards us the the driver waved! We were so excited to get our first patriot to patriot wave! Ha ha. I agree. Owning a Jeep and using it as a mini van does not make you a "jeeper". That makes you a person who chose the rig for its looks. All of our rigs are dirty from use in the backcountry. Proper use for the vehicles we purchase! If I was driving around town and the mall. I would have a kia carnival ST model. Those are nice for daily driving.

Reactions: Ethan N

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
. There’s a guy lives up the hill from me, drives a new 110. He’s got every conceivable thing bolted onto it to the point of hilarity. It’s way too top heavy and leans hard going around corners. It also sits lower than our RAV4. Being polite I would wave at him and get no response. I was all hooked up just before our last trip and went down to the non-ethanol gas station to fill up. The 110 was there filling up. The dude was a complete snob. In my traditional fashion I asked where he’d been and what his future trips would be. Turns out, he did only local stuff and LR meets nearby. I thought to myself, what’s with all the gear bolted up top, the extra gas and water cans? But, being somewhat polite I didn’t ask. He did ask what we were up to, I told him. I expected a conversation, an exchange of phone numbers, coffee at a diner, anything. Nope- nothing- he was suddenly in a big hurry and just left. Since then, I don’t bother, bunch of posers aren’t worth my effort. Does that make me an elitist snob? Nah, once one gets to know me I’m far from it. @grubworm makes jokes about all this nonsense, and he’s right.!! It’s not about the equipment, anybody with pocket change can get all the equipment one would ever want to bolt up, and it is funny especially so when they reveal they don’t go anywhere. It’s about the experience. I’ll wave at a guy in a beat up old Taco, Landcruiser, Series III, 4Runner, VW bug, or a Ford Ranger way before I’ll wave at a $100,000 mall crawler.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@MOAK Whoa there, big fella. Some of us daily drive our rigs, 'kay?

I'm not one who does, but give the guy some slack - he's got an overly expensive car that's only overly expensive because of its self-appointed snob culture, and he uses it for the snob culture aspect (LR club meets do not equal snob culture, this is a joke, guys). That's his hobby. Judge him all you like, that's legal - but don't be surprised that a guy who shows off his Land Rover to Land Rover club members isn't impressed by a less-expensive or less-iconic vehicle, no matter how much more practical it is, or how much more it is used, or where it has been.

He likes his car for his reasons, you like your car for your reasons - there is a mutual disrespect. Both of you will have a nice day and both of you will remember that odd encounter at the gas station.

That said, iconic cars or "culture cars" like Land Rovers, BMW's, Subarus, Mustangs, Jeeps, etc. will always have that element of surrounding snob culture that will be assigned to you just for owning one, even if you do actually use it - however locally.

Nobody ends up with a Land Rover by accident. When bought, they are bought for some purpose, and that purpose is usually "fun", however the purchaser defines it.

Now, you go have fun with your RAV4 while he goes and has fun at his club meet.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
@MOAK Whoa there, big fella. Some of us daily drive our rigs, 'kay?

I'm not one who does, but give the guy some slack - he's got an overly expensive car that's only overly expensive because of its self-appointed snob culture, and he uses it for the snob culture aspect (LR club meets do not equal snob culture, this is a joke, guys). That's his hobby. Judge him all you like, that's legal - but don't be surprised that a guy who shows off his Land Rover to Land Rover club members isn't impressed by a less-expensive or less-iconic vehicle, no matter how much more practical it is, or how much more it is used, or where it has been.

He likes his car for his reasons, you like your car for your reasons - there is a mutual disrespect. Both of you will have a nice day and both of you will remember that odd encounter at the gas station.

That said, iconic cars or "culture cars" like Land Rovers, BMW's, Subarus, Mustangs, Jeeps, etc. will always have that element of surrounding snob culture that will be assigned to you just for owning one, even if you do actually use it - however locally.

Nobody ends up with a Land Rover by accident. When bought, they are bought for some purpose, and that purpose is usually "fun", however the purchaser defines it.

Now, you go have fun with your RAV4 while he goes and has fun at his club meet.
Lighten up Francis. Two guys show up at the gas station at the same time, both in decked out overlanding rigs. In this case, his a 110, mine an 80. It happens a lot out west during our travels and there is always a pleasant exchange between two guys that obviously have a lot in common. I didn’t conclude this guy was a snob until he spoke to me in the manner that he did. I even complemented his nice truck. He Knocked my doors off, took me aback, put me in a state of disbelief. When anyone is in their vehicle and it’s all decked out, it is, like it or not, a huge message that they are going or coming back from a trip. We are driving conversation starters. I embrace that aspect. I love talking to others about where they have been, about their gear, about their mindset, are they an OB member, etc etc. This dude wasn’t a snob because of the vehicle he drives, he was a snob because of his attitude. Actually using the term snob isn’t a strong enough adjective, but this is a family oriented site. I don’t judge people by how they dress or what they drive, I observe personal behavior and comment upon it. It’s kinda like people wearing t shirts or hats with bands, sports teams, national park emblems or political movements. Like it or not, when one wears that stuff, ( or drives a particular vehicle )expect people to start a conversation with you and dont be a dick about it.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Although the influx of city folk have diminished it somewhat, it is still common in the rural south to acknowledge everybody you pass with a wave of some sort. It is also still (less common) to speak to people you meet in passing.

The internet and electronic communications has brought rise to the destruction of civility and common courtesy. The angst generated by people waving or leaving a toy duck is astonishing.

If people put half the effort into being friendly that they do being standoffish assholes the world would be a better place.

Reactions: rgallant

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Although the influx of city folk have diminished it somewhat, it is still common in the rural south to acknowledge everybody you pass with a wave of some sort. It is also still (less common) to speak to people you meet in passing.

The internet and electronic communications has brought rise to the destruction of civility and common courtesy. The angst generated by people waving or leaving a toy duck is astonishing.

If people put half the effort into being friendly that they do being standoffish assholes the world would be a better place.
Yes yes & yes !!

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
in order to successfully be around people, you have to treat them like radio stations...
if you dial in a few seconds and dont like what you hear...turn the dial to a different station or just turn the radio off for a while. :grinning:

Zukpr

Rank III
Launch Member

Contributor III

Santee, California
First Name
Bradley
Last Name
Wymer
Member #

I like the jeep wave. Try to give when I can.
Most times my rig looks like a mall crawler, (which I like). But some times like today (after trip to New Mexico pulling teardop) I really like.
As for the rubber ducky, I received my 1st one from a lady a month ago. It made my day.

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@DintDobbs @MOAK I found the LR thing quite funny, I have met those guys in every rec hobby I have. But to the LR comment, we left this guy on the top of a place called Sugar Mountain. 2020 Defender had a massive steering rack failure, you can see his tires do not point the same way. 1st time in 20 years the club could not get someone to pavement.

He has all the toys, but is very friendly. It got temp repaired on site which is an epic tale of it's own

IMG_0153.jpg

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@MOAK You're entitled to your fun, and he's entitled to his - I'm not saying either of you is right or wrong. As far as conversation starters go, may be I'm a brute beast, but I've found that the best way to avoid conflict is to avoid confrontation. As with our little interchange here, I could have avoided this disagreement between you and me simply by ignoring your post, which perhaps you might have preferred. However, unlike a gas station, a web forum is a place where conversation is intended and invited. Conversation includes both respectful disagreements and hostile clashes; unlike some, I have no interest in having the last word, so I will not continue our miniscule disagreement beyond this post.

@rgallant Sort of curious about the story behind that. I haven't searched the forum for a "best trail repair you've done/seen" thread, but I'm sure many have stories worth telling if there is such a thread!

And as far as ducks on Jeeps go, not sure who or where that came from, but conventionally it is considered extremely distasteful to put unsolicited materials or objects on others' vehicles, in my region of locality. Advertisements, religious invitations, restaurant cups and wrappers, rubber ducks, stay away from m'truck, varmints! Here people also occasionally wave to total strangers, although that is going away.

Reactions: grubworm and MOAK

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
And as far as ducks on Jeeps go, not sure who or where that came from, but conventionally it is considered extremely distasteful to put unsolicited materials or objects on others' vehicles, in my region of locality. Advertisements, religious invitations, restaurant cups and wrappers, rubber ducks, stay away from m'truck, varmints! Here people also occasionally wave to total strangers, although that is going away.
yeah..this is very true! my wife drives a jeep sahara and loves it and since she is an artist/hippie chick...she totally loves the duck thing and was even wanting to design her own special ceramic ducks to "duck" other jeeps with. now some folk love the idea and are totally flattered that someone recognizes them as a jeep owner and took the effort to "duck" them...others see it as vandalism. i remember growing up and seeing dirty vehicles going down the road with "Wash Me" on the back where somebody took their finger and wrote in the dirt. i always thought that was funny, but by law, it is considered vandalism. now days with everyone getting offended and wanting the power that is given to "victim status", there is no way in hell i would EVER approach anyone's vehicle and touch it in any fashion.

its funny because my white tundra is currently covered in a thick layer of dirt and i noticed that when i went into town last week, someone wrote "nastey truck" on the side. the mis-spelling made it even that much more funny...but then again i have pretty thick skin and stuff like that or a duck on my windshield wouldnt offend me.

Garyindiane

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Dearborn County, Indiana, United States
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Retherford
yeah..this is very true! my wife drives a jeep sahara and loves it and since she is an artist/hippie chick...she totally loves the duck thing and was even wanting to design her own special ceramic ducks to "duck" other jeeps with. now some folk love the idea and are totally flattered that someone recognizes them as a jeep owner and took the effort to "duck" them...others see it as vandalism. i remember growing up and seeing dirty vehicles going down the road with "Wash Me" on the back where somebody took their finger and wrote in the dirt. i always thought that was funny, but by law, it is considered vandalism. now days with everyone getting offended and wanting the power that is given to "victim status", there is no way in hell i would EVER approach anyone's vehicle and touch it in any fashion.

its funny because my white tundra is currently covered in a thick layer of dirt and i noticed that when i went into town last week, someone wrote "nastey truck" on the side. the mis-spelling made it even that much more funny...but then again i have pretty thick skin and stuff like that or a duck on my windshield wouldnt offend me.
SO true. Everyone is looking for a reason to be offended anymore.

We have one guy at work with a nice Jeep. He has a duck hanging from a noose on his rear view mirror. :tearsofjoy: I'm like, you really showed that 8 year old or cute nurse how much of a tough guy you are!
Some people take their selves way to seriously. It's a harmless gesture that shows someone liked your rig. The world could use a little more harmless fun these days.

I keep some in my rig for my daughter to pass out to other Jeeps. It gets her involved when we take the Jeep out. I'm sure she will have fond memories of Ducking Jeeps when dad took her out wheeling when she gets older.
We are all just trying to make good memories with our families.

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I think it's silly, and have never ducked another Jeep. But, I do take ducks that I received and I keep them in a small box that I bring to shows/meets etc. There I let kids take them, and explain what you are supposed to do with them.

Oddly, the same thing works for vendor decals on adults. I keep a box full of stickers and swag from shows like EJS and Bantam and open it up on my tailgate with a "Free" sign. I always go home lighter than when I arrived!

Reactions: rgallant

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@Garyindiane Harmless fun is just the thing, "harmless" being rather open to interpretation by the masses. I mean, I don't care if I leave the trail with a few more dents and scratches, but I don't want somebody else's crap touching my truck, be it hands, towels, brushes, keys, or ducks. Respecting others' property means keeping yer grubby hands off the merchandise. I don't touch your car, you don't touch mine.

I've been know to trigger the panic alarm to get strangers to stop leaning on a vehicle I'm using, or to get them to stop using my hood as a dinner table.

Plus, if I don't want your little quackers, I'll be hit for littering if I let them fall off on the roadside, even though I am not the one who set the unwanted debris free into the enviroment. You did that when you put it on my hood, but I'm the one who pays the fine. Real smooth, b*tch.

Make family memories with your own family and your own possessions, not by encouraging disrespect. Down with ducks!

Last edited: