Launch Member

Member I

Woodland Park, CO, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Kahlich
Member #

I am thankful they slashed my back windows to steal our gear. Had they known the windows just unzipped that would have meant they knew something about Jeep Wranglers. If they had known something about Jeep Wranglers I think they would have had a field day stripping us down and stealing much more!

I am curious how much a hard top helps deter theft over a soft top.

Here is our video of the aftermath.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

My previous Jeep had the drivers window cut on the half door uppers but nothing was taken because there wasn’t anything to take. My current Jeep , which I have had for 11 years, has a hard top and I keep quite a bit of gear in it. I’ve never had an issue with theft. While I love the “freedom” of a Viking fast back top and the ease of going topless or as a bikini top, the security of the hard top has kept me from getting one.

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

I feel you pain, our last truck was stolen and they got our RTT , roofrack, stereo, air compressor and alot of random gear. Luckily most of our stuff was in the garage.
Thats why we upgraded to a new truck, this one fits in the garage.
Welcome to Spokane.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I am thankful they slashed my back windows to steal our gear. Had they known the windows just unzipped that would have meant they knew something about Jeep Wranglers. If they had known something about Jeep Wranglers I think they would have had a field day stripping us down and stealing much more!

Absolutely sucks and I HATE thieves....glad it wasn't more.

Reactions: Texarado

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Thats terrible news..... Roughly 20 years ago we parked our soft top jeep and our soft top trailer in a not so nice suburb, Montreal Nord, outside Montreal PQ. My wife was a little worried especially when I saw no sense in even locking the doors. We visited a friend for nearly 6 hours, walked back to our rig that evening and everything was fine. I wouldn't dream of doing that near any major city in the US. Tis a very sad commentary on our society.

Big Jake

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Midland Texas
Member #

My first Jeep was a ‘77 CJ5 and I rarely had the hardtop on. (Yes, I’ve got an aftermarket hardtop for it made by ACME. The same people that made everything for the coyote[emoji13]). I had a few things stolen but more often than not, people left trash. Even a dirty diaper and a half eaten can of pears… complete with fork. My next Jeep, an ‘06, I took the top off some. Nothing stolen, as kept very little in it but someone smashed a burrito (or something) in the back seat. My current ‘09, I’ve never had the top off. I miss the wind in my hair but I don’t miss the troubles. People are jerks. Sorry to hear about the theft.

Texarado

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Woodland Park, CO, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Kahlich
Member #

Thats terrible news..... Roughly 20 years ago we parked our soft top jeep and our soft top trailer in a not so nice suburb, Montreal Nord, outside Montreal PQ. My wife was a little worried especially when I saw no sense in even locking the doors. We visited a friend for nearly 6 hours, walked back to our rig that evening and everything was fine. I wouldn't dream of doing that near any major city in the US. Tis a very sad commentary on our society.
Agree on not doing that in major cities. That is a reason why we are heading to the mountains near a small town.

Texarado

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Woodland Park, CO, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Kahlich
Member #

My first Jeep was a ‘77 CJ5 and I rarely had the hardtop on. (Yes, I’ve got an aftermarket hardtop for it made by ACME. The same people that made everything for the coyote[emoji13]). I had a few things stolen but more often than not, people left trash. Even a dirty diaper and a half eaten can of pears… complete with fork. My next Jeep, an ‘06, I took the top off some. Nothing stolen, as kept very little in it but someone smashed a burrito (or something) in the back seat. My current ‘09, I’ve never had the top off. I miss the wind in my hair but I don’t miss the troubles. People are jerks. Sorry to hear about the theft.
Wow! They used your vehicle as a trash bin. Yes unfortunately some people are in a sad, sick, state. I work to find the good in people and stay positive at the same time I stay sheepdog alert.

Texarado

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Woodland Park, CO, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Kahlich
Member #

My previous Jeep had the drivers window cut on the half door uppers but nothing was taken because there wasn’t anything to take. My current Jeep , which I have had for 11 years, has a hard top and I keep quite a bit of gear in it. I’ve never had an issue with theft. While I love the “freedom” of a Viking fast back top and the ease of going topless or as a bikini top, the security of the hard top has kept me from getting one.
This is a reason I tell my wife we "need" a second jeep. One to keep things secure when needed and another to go wheeling!

Texarado

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Woodland Park, CO, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Kahlich
Member #

I feel you pain, our last truck was stolen and they got our RTT , roofrack, stereo, air compressor and alot of random gear. Luckily most of our stuff was in the garage.
Thats why we upgraded to a new truck, this one fits in the garage.
Welcome to Spokane.
Sorry to hear that. Overall we were fortunate with just a few items stolen, about 800 to a 1000$ worth of things.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Sorry to hear that. Overall we were fortunate with just a few items stolen, about 800 to a 1000$ worth of things.
Welcome to Colorado! I met up with some friends in Ouray during the FJ Summit acouple of weekends ago. Someone tried stealing the front 20" light bar off of her Jeep while they were out on the trails earlier that week. SOB's got as far as removing one of the Tapered Stainless Security nuts and getting the other about half off (and mangled all to hell) before someone or something spooked them and they left. On the bright side... we were glad they decided to wait on cutting the wires until after they removed the light from the fixture. Sigh.....

I had someone try to steal my stock spare from under my Tacoma while parked my driveway. Heard a wrench drop looked out to see legs under the truck and a flashlight flicking about. Pumped a round into roommate's Mossberg, gave a shout and all I saw was punk's heels running down the road in the dark. Had to put a security lock on my spare. Damn near cost me years later when I needed the spare and a rock had taken out the keyway of the lock so I could not remove it. Spent half an hour cutting through the cable to get the spare down.

Good to hear that you and yours are safe and enjoying the rest of your trip.
Boort

Texarado

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Woodland Park, CO, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Kahlich
Member #

Welcome to Colorado! I met up with some friends in Ouray during the FJ Summit acouple of weekends ago. Someone tried stealing the front 20" light bar off of her Jeep while they were out on the trails earlier that week. SOB's got as far as removing one of the Tapered Stainless Security nuts and getting the other about half off (and mangled all to hell) before someone or something spooked them and they left. On the bright side... we were glad they decided to wait on cutting the wires until after they removed the light from the fixture. Sigh.....

I had someone try to steal my stock spare from under my Tacoma while parked my driveway. Heard a wrench drop looked out to see legs under the truck and a flashlight flicking about. Pumped a round into roommate's Mossberg, gave a shout and all I saw was punk's heels running down the road in the dark. Had to put a security lock on my spare. Damn near cost me years later when I needed the spare and a rock had taken out the keyway of the lock so I could not remove it. Spent half an hour cutting through the cable to get the spare down.

Good to hear that you and yours are safe and enjoying the rest of your trip.
Boort
Tried to steal it on the trail? Pathetic. I always hope that once on the trail only good folk are out there.

By stealing my bags they also stole the key to my spare tire lock. I was able to break the lock off too.

Thanks for the welcome.

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Tried to steal it on the trail? Pathetic. I always hope that once on the trail only good folk are out there.

By stealing my bags they also stole the key to my spare tire lock. I was able to break the lock off too.
@Texarado

Not sure if it was done on the trail, but suspect so. They were in and out of a number of trails between Lake City, Ouray, and Silverton wheeling and camping. The attempt happened some time between when they started their trip and I met up with them in Ouray on Friday morning.

How's the Insurance Company dealing with the loss? Or at $800-$1k was it not even worth getting them involved?

Boort

Texarado

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Woodland Park, CO, USA
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Kahlich
Member #

@Texarado

Not sure if it was done on the trail, but suspect so. They were in and out of a number of trails between Lake City, Ouray, and Silverton wheeling and camping. The attempt happened some time between when they started their trip and I met up with them in Ouray on Friday morning.

How's the Insurance Company dealing with the loss? Or at $800-$1k was it not even worth getting them involved?

Boort
So the tools and such are not covered under auto. They would have been under homeowners BUT we had just sold our home in Texas 3 days prior to move to Colorado! I would not have made a claim anyway for the amount of loss was to little. The auto insurance would cover the slashed windows but again not worth having a claim on my record.

freedomomelet

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Nebraska
Launch Member

Influencer I

Springfield, NE
Member #

@Texarado sorry man, that sucks. Yay for insurance. Maybe should have a Taco? :D

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I honestly don't think in my "opinion" that a hardtop makes a difference because if people who are willing to steal typically are going to do what they want. Which is why we have jails to put them in and guns to protect ourselves lol. Anyways I will say I have noticed more soft tops getting broke into because these "idiots" probably think its easier/less likely to set off an alarm by cutting up the soft top to get in. I hate seeing this and hope justice catches up to these punks.