Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Myles
Last Name
Sailer
Has anyone has any reliability issues with the 03-06 TJ auto. I belive it is the 42rle, mine has been giving me grief and I am trying to get it fixed before next spring. (If not applicable here just tell me and I'll post it to where it is)

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
yes, its a 42RLE

I was fairly amazed how poorly mine was engineered in my 04. First and foremost is the way they geared it. The over drive is too tall. they did this to try to raise the mileage a bit for the fuel standards. To keep the engine from bogging, they slip the converter more. This creates a bunch of heat. Your trans should be running at or lower than your engine temp. Mine with 33" tires ran in the 250-260 range and hit 300 pulling hills. anything over 250 is hard on the trans and anything over 275 spells death. When I went to 35's it was way worse. 350 was not unusual. I added a large cooler and fan under the rear of the vehicle and another in the front. That's what it took to get the temps down to acceptable levels. I added a temp gauge after reading similar issues on different forums. I wasn't the only one with this.
The other issue is the shift pattern. Someone makes an inline tuner that fix's this. I don't remember who. Some of my friends ran it and it made a big difference. One of the guys at work was a Chrysler/jeep tech. he had told me it wasn't unusual for those trans to come in burned up at 50-70k miles.

Reactions: Northwest Wanderer

Northwest Wanderer

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Myles
Last Name
Sailer
This level or reliability is making me wish I didn't sell my YJ for a Rubicon. I'll look into seeing if I can make it more robust or ill find a manual Rubicon if possible. Thanks for the info

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Put a big cooler on it and call it good. This is the gauge I ran Deraile. This is the remote cooler. The one I added in the front was from them also but I don't remember which. I just accepted the shifting. If you haven't changed the fuel injectors to the 4 hole, that's something you need to do also. Huge difference.
I had bought my TJ because I wanted that wheel base and I was tired of having to reengineer my older jeeps. When I was done debugging it, it worked well for the most part. Again with the "reengineering".
The "go around" for the trans issue is (was) grab the trans and trans computer out of the same year cherokee. Grab a manual trans engine computer out of a TJ. It all drops in. The trans computer will not talk to the engine computer and runs in default mode. In default, it still runs cooler and better. One of the guys in my Jeep club did this and it worked great. It wasn't worth the several thousand to me though.
I sold my TJ Rubicon last year. It had 48k miles.

Northwest Wanderer

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Myles
Last Name
Sailer
I'll look into the cooler I've been told I have to regear my 4.10s to 5.31 to just run 33s with the auto. I'll do more research to make sure. I'm just worried about it downshifting or going into limp mode at 80 to 85 mph (MT speed limit). Its given me a lot to think about.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
The "go around" for the trans issue is (was) grab the trans and trans computer out of the same year cherokee. Grab a manual trans engine computer out of a TJ. It all drops in. The trans computer will not talk to the engine computer and runs in default mode. In default, it still runs cooler and better. One of the guys in my Jeep club did this and it worked great. It wasn't worth the several thousand to me though.
I sold my TJ Rubicon last year. It had 48k miles.
Do you mean Grand Cherokee? No XJs had the 42RLE. They all ran AW4s. Which from my understanding has become quite the popular swap for TJ drivers.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Do you mean Grand Cherokee?
You may be right. I dont remember where the trans came from they used. I do know the drive line was the same. I-6 and bolted to the transfercase. I do know the trans had a different designator (part number) and it had analog sensors which is why you had to swap the computer also.

Last edited:

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'll look into the cooler I've been told I have to regear my 4.10s to 5.31
4.88's are a better choice. I didnt like how small the pinion got with 5.13's. I ran 4.88 up to a 37" tire. my street tires were 33's and it was a good balance street driving.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You will be fine with 4.10 and 33's unless you start doing hard trail's. I ran the Rubicon with mine before I started modding it. The only issue with bigger tires is trans cooling.

LJ Rob

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Sierra Vista, Arizona, USA
First Name
Charles
Last Name
Festerling
Member #

The Derale transmission cooler kit helped cool mine down.
I believe the factory thermostat in the kit will turn the fan on at 180 and off at 160-165. Thermostat switches can be found if you want to change the on/off temps to something else.

The transmission's 30-something percent overdrive is bonkers, especially since the torque converter is so small. Those clutches get whipped. Watch for a shudder on TQ lock-up to indicate the converter is beginning to go sideways.