Jeep lift for overland build??

• HTML tutorial

TigersRevenge

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mission , BC
Member #

So i want to hear from all to see what lift they went with in there overland Jeep JKU build. I have had AEV and Synergy lifts so far and both i am not happy with as to the weight that i carry and i have even changed the way of thinking as to what i carry on the jeep. But things like bumpers, roof rack, fuel tanks, water tank and other stuff i cant change. I want to change the lift out to something that will work for what i need but i am scared to go out and buy another lift and find out that i get the same problems. More lift companies state that there lifts are for overland.
IE - Quote from AEV -
We pride ourselves on creating accessories that excel in off-road and overland expedition situations,
Overall, no matter which Dualsport Suspension System you choose, no matter where you drive it or how you load it, you can count on your Dualsport-equipped JK to remain comfortable, balanced and ready to explore

With the key word in the quote being - how you load it.

So lets hear from The real world on what you have experienced with your lift that was for overland based builds

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Too me a mid range (1k to 1.7k) lift will work depending on what clearance you need. I suggest calling the company and talking to a rep. If you are going cheap then you get what you pay for.

TigersRevenge

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mission , BC
Member #

Too me a mid range (1k to 1.7k) lift will work depending on what clearance you need. I suggest calling the company and talking to a rep. If you are going cheap then you get what you pay for.
The AEV lift that i have in the Jeep right now is a JK DualSport RS Suspension 3.5" not a cheap lift

Jeffrey Richards

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bakersfield
Member #

I went with a pro comp 3.5 lift loving it, I pull my a101 military trailer fully loaded down for over landing no problems

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Jeffrey Richards

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bakersfield
Member #

I’ve had no problems so far,
Been building my Overland trailer so me and the wife can travel more

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

The AEV lift that i have in the Jeep right now is a JK DualSport RS Suspension 3.5" not a cheap lift
I have the AEV Dual Sport lift on my jeep as well, but I haven't had the problems your having. I off road a lot, but I don't carry a lot of weight in my jeep though. Rubicon Express makes an Extreme Duty 4-Link long arm lift kit that might work for you. I don't have any personal experience with it though, and it's pretty expensive.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Does anyone have experience w/ the OME heavy load springs?
I have a AEV 2.5' lift on my Jeep. This lift works great for most of my adventures. When I'm loaded to be out for several weeks, it was just too much weight for this lift. My Jeep was at 7200lbs for my last long trip. I decided to change out my AEV springs for ARB (aka OME) heavy load springs. It was one of my best decisions to date. The ride was fantastic. These springs handled the load with no problems.

I will probably go back to my AEV springs for normal driving, and install the ARB, for my longer trips. If I could only do one, I would run the ARB springs. Since I own both, I have options.

Reactions: brien

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
I went with AEV 2.5 as well, with large hopes of it being able to support my load.

Prior to this, i just had the stock with a leveling kit and there's obviously quite a bit of sag that I was actually surprised that i was still able to run mild trails and not get hung-up. Note that i also tried airbags for support, but in the end, it was unreliable/leaked/gave up.

Since the suspension upgrade, i have not reached full load weight yet, but so far it definitely looks like it will definitely perform better.

In my case, my Jeep is still a daily driver so I can live with a compromise. I know the experience of having a track stiff suspension on a daily, it's not great! I still want to give airbag a second chance (different brand), since i personally think that it is an optimal solution to the weight problem.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
We have been leaning towards the Rock Krawler 2.5" Overland system. It looks to be tuned for overland use (extra weight). And they said it was upgradeable.

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I removed the Rock Krawler 2.5 Pro system from my JKU. The spring rates are not oriented to Overlanding. I much prefer the control arm drop brackets over longer control arms. The geometry is better. You will get much less vibration transferred with drop brackets, vs longer control arms. This is huge on long washboard trails. Breaking is better also, with drop brackets.

I loved my Rock Krawler long Arm lift on my LJ, for Rock Krawling. In my opinion, they don't understand what makes a good Overlanding suspension. Good company, that makes great stuff. Never a complaint on my rock Crawler LJ. Overlanding just isn't their thing.

Reactions: Rubicajon

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
Thanks Jeff. You are the first person i have received a response from who has actually used the Rock Krawler brand. Good first hand information is key to making a wise purchase and not wasting a paycheck.

"JustEmptyEveryPocket"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Jeff Graham

JFAZ

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a AEV 2.5' lift on my Jeep. This lift works great for most of my adventures. When I'm loaded to be out for several weeks, it was just too much weight for this lift. My Jeep was at 7200lbs for my last long trip. I decided to change out my AEV springs for ARB (aka OME) heavy load springs. It was one of my best decisions to date. The ride was fantastic. These springs handled the load with no problems.

I will probably go back to my AEV springs for normal driving, and install the ARB, for my longer trips. If I could only do one, I would run the ARB springs. Since I own both, I have options.
Jeff,

Fantastic information! I'm also running the AEV 2.5XT, can you just swap out the ARB springs without any further modifications? Do you happen to know how driving around town with the Jeep unloaded is, with the ARB springs, is it tolerable?

Thanks!

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Jeff,

Fantastic information! I'm also running the AEV 2.5XT, can you just swap out the ARB springs without any further modifications? Do you happen to know how driving around town with the Jeep unloaded is, with the ARB springs, is it tolerable?

Thanks!
Yes, that exactly what I did. I changed out the springs, and nothing more. Coil springs don't break the bank. It's the other components, especially the shocks, that cost the most. as long as you aren't going much taller, you can change coils, and try to optimize your ride quality.

Unloaded, the ride quality is still very good with the OME springs. I still prefer the AEV springs for daily driving, but will always go with OME when Im loaded down.

I hope this helps

Reactions: Sparky

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Do you have the exact part# or link to OME springs used? In case i find that i need to go the same route.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I'll second what others say and ask what problems you've had with the AEV kit? Assuming suspension and steering geometry are ok, from your description it sounds like loss of carrying capacity could be an issue?

Regardless you want coils matched to the loads you carry. I'd reccomend estimating the added weight to your Jeep (bumpers, skids, racks, etc), as well as the added gear weight from trips. With that figure you can then check with aev to see how their coils coils compare with respect to load capacity.

If you have a large variance in loads I may suggest a dual-rate or progressive rate coil, for both comfort and performance. I'm not sure who's all making these for JK's but I know Dobinsons Suspension does. Could be worth a phone call at least.

Edit: just checked, that kit comes with progressive coils. I'd still be curious what loads the coils are rated at.

Last edited:
Reactions: khorsa

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Unfortunately, no one publishes their spring rates, at least that i am aware off. So it is hard to compare, and it's become a trail-and-error.

Fortunately the Jeep has a strong community so it's not like you're shooting in the dark, and have lots of folks willing to help, and you can make a better judgement from all the feedback you get.

Reactions: Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Eibach usually makes the springs for most suspension kits, call John at Poly performance and tell him what you have and what you want and he’ll find the correct coils from eibach cheaper than if they have a name brand on them. Just an idea...

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Do you have the exact part# or link to OME springs used? In case i find that i need to go the same route.
These are the springs I purchased.
Front: https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_4037_07.htm

Rear:
https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_4038_07.

My JK had a bad JK lean (towards the passenger side). Once I installed the springs, I measured all four corners from the top of the spring purchase, to the ground. I installed spring spacers to correct for the lean. 3/4 inch rear, 1/2 inch front. This eliminated my JKU lean on my Jeep.