Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I am guessing there is some good reason (FLAPPING) that I do not see or hear about many soft top Jeeps with a roof rack. Can anyone confirm an issues with this? I need a little more storage and was thinking about going with a roof rack of some sort. I just added to my rear bumper (RockHard4x4) an above the spare basket. I also bought some Plano boxes as well to organize items in the back. I wish I had just a little more room. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Reactions: sabjku

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I am guessing there is some good reason (FLAPPING) that I do not see or hear about many soft top Jeeps with a roof rack. Can anyone confirm an issues with this? I need a little more storage and was thinking about going with a roof rack of some sort. I just added to my rear bumper (RockHard4x4) an above the spare basket. I also bought some Plano boxes as well to organize items in the back. I wish I had just a little more room. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I dont know why a Gobi rack wouldn't work.

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

You could totally do a Gobi rack. You see most running hard tops as we generally have an investment inside that we’re also trying to be a bit more cautious of security wise-drawers, fridge, recovery gear, tools, etc.

Initially I had my soft top on 100% of the time. When I started to get more into overlanding and wanted an awning, drawers, etc, I ended up going hardtop for security.

S

SubeeBen

CEA854D9-3162-4AD6-9468-141D24293294.jpeg I have a Smittybilt src roof rack & I noticed it louder than stock with a hardtop. My guess is with a soft top it would be louder. Not unbearable but there is a noticeable difference. But on that note it was only $ 500 plus change & will hold anything you can put on it . Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: sabjku

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The main problem is that it is too much work to put the soft top down/up when you have the rack on. That is why you don't see many racks on soft tops. Otherwise, there's not much diffference aside from extra noise since the soft top is thinner than the hard top.

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Have a gobi rack, and use the soft top, for just in town. The gobi rack is not the most aerodynamic rack, it produces a lot of neg pressure causing the top to flutter. Sure you can add padding and all, but overall it gets pretty loud. And getting to your cargo is a PITA. Only did one trip with that setup, never again.

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

The main problem is that it is too much work to put the soft top down/up when you have the rack on. That is why you don't see many racks on soft tops. Otherwise, there's not much diffference aside from extra noise since the soft top is thinner than the hard top.
Actually there are a bunch of videos on that topic of putting the soft top up and down. There is an extra step but nothing crazy. The Gobi has a quick release rock it back and pull the top down. I am more worried about the extra noise and flapping that may occur when the wind goes over and under the rack itself.

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

Have a gobi rack, and use the soft top, for just in town. The gobi rack is not the most aerodynamic rack, it produces a lot of neg pressure causing the top to flutter. Sure you can add padding and all, but overall it gets pretty loud. And getting to your cargo is a PITA. Only did one trip with that setup, never again.
Thank you for that!! That is what I was afraid of. I think I will need to go plan B. Not sure what that is yet.