Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Another quarantine project.

I have been looking at drawer systems for my Jeep JKU. I didn't want anything real tall that would take up all the space in back. The other challenge is the cost on many of the drawer systems out there was waaayyyyy more than I wanted to spend. Well I found a couple Black Forest slide outs from a scratch and dent liquidator for $60 each and decided to build my own. When it's done, it will only be 11'' tall and I can still put a cooler and cargo boxes on top.
My parts list:
Sliders- 2
15" x18" utility drawers from E-bay - 2
Spare ammo cans - 2
Walmart poly cutting boards - 2
Cheapo cargo mat from Walmart
Left over aluminum from other projects
Harbor Freight d-rings
A bunch of hardware from Ace

Parts pile
JD1.JPG

Spacers for the drawers cut from 1" aluminum square tube

JD2.JPG

Sliders bolted in the center to a 7" wide piece of 1/8" aluminum plate. I drilled 1/4" holes and pressed carriage bolts in from the bottom

JD3.JPG

Drawers bolted down to sliders
JD4.JPG

Just enough room in the back for the 2 50 cal ammo cans that will be held in place with nylon straps

JD5.JPG

$10 Walmart cutting boards to make a couple work surfaces when sliders are pulled out

JD6.JPG

Cutting boards fit and screwed down with counter sunk stainless screws.

JD7.JPGJD8.JPG

Going to bend up some 1/8" aluminum for the sides and build a center support for the plywood top.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I changed my mind on how to hold the ammo in place and attached them with a single screw into a nutsert in the back of the drawer frame. Remove one screw and the ammo boxes lift out. I built an L shaped piece to extend the sides of the tray behind the ammo cans. This area will be used to hold cooking oil on one side and tire sealer and WD-40 on the other. I lined the bottom of the drawers and ammo cans with some padding made from an old sleeping pad to keep things from rattling.KIMG0222.JPGKIMG0221.JPG

Last edited:

venkatmvr

Rank 0

Contributor I

chicago
First Name
Venkat
Last Name
Reddy
Hi,
How did you bend the side aluminum, to such straight edge. Do you have access to a metal shop.
Venkat

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Nice work @472HemiGTX! Kicked my wife’s car out of the garage the other day and pulled the Jeep in. It’s as organized as it has ever been now and I am thinking exactly what you did. A couple things are holding me back. Advice anybody?

The 2017 JKU has a great storage spot under the rear cargo area where the factory jack and “lug wrench” are located. If I do drawers I lose this space. Have been thinking modify the floor under the drawers so I could still somehow access this area? I started organizing critical items out of this storage area last night but am not done... Having to access the jack with a loaded rear end is no bueno. Been there done that.

Back seat. At home I need it, adventuring I wish it was gone and the space used when folded down could be reclaimed. The Goose Gear interior bits look interesting but I have never pulled, or replaced the back seat. Anybody else up against this and have advice?

I think the Walmart cutting board material is available commercially in sheets called Star Board. It is used a lot in marine applications and will make you cry at the cash register. Love what you did with the cutting boards!

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Excellent buildout. We travel with our dogs. Maximus is a 172lb Great Dane/Bull Mastiff. ALso have a 16yo. Backseat has to stay for a few more years, hence why we are narrowing down a trailer option. If it were just me traveling, a full drawer tray setup in the rear would be the way to go. Nice fab work.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Excellent buildout. We travel with our dogs. Maximus is a 172lb Great Dane/Bull Mastiff. ALso have a 16yo. Backseat has to stay for a few more years, hence why we are narrowing down a trailer option. If it were just me traveling, a full drawer tray setup in the rear would be the way to go. Nice fab work.
Thank you.

I got the center support built and the top on. I was looking for some aluminum trim to go around the edge but no luck. I ended up finding the perfect stuff in the metal rack at Lowe's. I cut it to fit, then drilled and counter sunk holes for scews in addition to using Liquid nails to attach it.KIMG0228.JPGKIMG0230.JPGKIMG0232.JPG

Trimmed the El cheapo Wal-mart cargo mat to fit and glued it down. I'm still fihghting a little bit with getting the rubber to stick.Then added d-rings and a piece of track with removable rings that I found at a garage sale. I got two of the short pieces of rail, tthe other one is mounted in the cargo area of the Jeep for when the box isn't in.

KIMG0233.JPGKIMG0235.JPGKIMG0234.JPG
KIMG0236.JPG

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I had already upgraded the tie downs in the back of the Jeep so I used them to hold the box in place with turn buckles. It's very solid and 5 minutes with a wrench and the it's out.

KIMG0239.JPGKIMG0240.JPG

Loaded with gear. One side is filled with recovery gear and the other side has rope, misc tools and parts, tarp, tent pegs, etc. A Coleman 2 burner fits on the driver's side and and a large ammo crate wth freeze dried food on the passenger side between the box and Jeep side panels. The back seat is still functional for the dogs.

KIMG0237.JPGKIMG0238.JPG

Last edited: