Jeep jku limb risers. Or any limb riser.

• HTML tutorial

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Sorry for the new guy question. I did search I swear.

I just installed some limb risers on my 16 Jeep jku.
Is there a rule of thumb for how tight they should be? I have a little flutter driving, but also don’t want them so tight they are pulling up in the hood. Thanks everyone

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I keep mine tight enough to have a bit of that "twang" when plucked. Tight enough that i have to push the hood down just a bit to unlock my hood lock, and then apply a bit of pressure to push the hood back down to re-latch. They still flutter just a tad when driving, but not in any rattley or noisy way

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Cool man. Thanks. I’ll right mine up a bit more then.
Also what your thought of the turn buckle, I put mine by the rack rather then near the hood latch, I thought it would be less flutter but I guess if you tighten it enough either way it wouldn’t matter.

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
I've primarily seen them on the bottom, but i'm not sure if it matters at all. I think i put mine that way because that's how they were shown in the Offroad Elements install directions. I guess one could argue that it's easier to inspect/adjust when they're at the bottom.

Reactions: 12AMJKU

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Do you guys actually find limb risers useful? Legitimately curious. I go back and forth on installing them. Wouldn’t be MOST useful for me in Texas, but we have trees and shrubs in areas just like everybody, also we have plans for lots of trips out west, and back to visit family in the Southeast.

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

Do you guys actually find limb risers useful? Legitimately curious. I go back and forth on installing them. Wouldn’t be MOST useful for me in Texas, but we have trees and shrubs in areas just like everybody, also we have plans for lots of trips out west, and back to visit family in the Southeast.
Here in New England, a fair amount of trails are over grown. So if they save me a windshield or two that’s cool by me. Plus they will double as clothes line when camping [emoji23][emoji23]

brien

Sonoran Space Program
Staff member

Off-Road Ranger I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Brien
Last Name
Wankel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7XPO
Yep, mine get some love on just about every trip here in AZ. In lower elevations the desert brush and mesquite trees gets overgrown on some of the lesser explore trails and up in the mountains the gnarly pinyon pines can get a bit overgrown on many of the old abandon mine access trails.

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

after signifcant amounts of pin striping that could have been avoided, i have installed DIY limbrisers on my liberty. before the risers i uprooted a few small trees by them getting caught in my roof rack. i love them and only spent like $23 at tractor supply

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

How do you attach them if you don't have a big brush guard or custom bumper on the front?
Depends on the vehicle, on my jeep you remove the hood latch bracket and a mounting plate goes under and you reattach the hood latch, sandwiching the limb risers bracket between the hood and the hood latch brackets.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Depends on the vehicle, on my jeep you remove the hood latch bracket and a mounting plate goes under and you reattach the hood latch, sandwiching the limb risers bracket between the hood and the hood latch brackets.
I was wondering about that because I wouldn’t be a fan of attaching them directly to the hood latches. Seems like a lot of unnecessary stress on the latches and hood.

Reactions: 4wheelspulling

12AMJKU

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Hadley Massachusetts
First Name
Tim
Last Name
L
Member #

I was wondering about that because I wouldn’t be a fan of attaching them directly to the hood latches. Seems like a lot of unnecessary stress on the latches and hood.
I have a friend that has been running them for about two years without issues. I guess I’ll see when or if I hit a big limb. I’m going to get the hood lock I think for extra protection and piece of mind.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

AlabamaDan

Rank 0

Traveler I

Welcome to the group AlabamaDan. It really depends on the Jeep model. Also what part of Alabama are you from??? Im also down here in Birmingham.
I'm running a Nissan Pathfinder R50. I've been looking around since I posted my question and found a few where you have a bracket mounted on the inner fender under the hood and it sticks up between the hood and fender. Seems like it would still interfere with the hood clearance. I drive down trails that are a little overgrown when I'm hunting, so I'm definitely putting these on my list.

As for where I live, I'm in the Jackson, MS area now but I'm from Alabama and that's where my heart is. :)

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Depends on where you are traveling. I remove them around the SouthWest. When I was traveling in Belize, they prevented my windshield from being smashed out by branches.

Reactions: AlabamaDan
S

SubeeBen

Personally I just took mine off. Actually broke. I am located east of San Diego Ca. & after all the trips I have been on I do t see a need for them at least out where I am located. Can totally see the purpose for them but just not a need for me. They look cool though just my 2 cents

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
Personally I just took mine off. Actually broke. I am located east of San Diego Ca. & after all the trips I have been on I do t see a need for them at least out where I am located. Can totally see the purpose for them but just not a need for me. They look cool though just my 2 cents
Dito, only put them on when I think they will be needed.

Sgt12XU

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sunnyvale, CA
Member #

I made my own for my JKUR. I keep them pretty tight. They’ve saved me from pinstripes and maybe a cracked windshield a few times. You can see them here:

Reactions: 12AMJKU